Need urgent help with seat arosa rear brakes

mat2622

Hi
I am new to this site and also new to the seat arosa took it for an mot and it failed on rear brakes i was told as it has stood for over a year may just need adjusting. However i have tried this and although the drum is now quite tight to turn still when i press the brake pedal i am just about able to turn the rear wheel i have adjusted them as far as it as alowed me but still no joy PLEASE PLEASE any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance matthew

mat2622

hi i have adjusted the handbrake adjusters and the hand brake is just above the mot standared its the footbrake i am having problems with on the back when footbrake is pressed with engine running and with out i can still turn the rear wheels with the foot brake applied even though i have adjusted the adjuster inside the drums as far as they will allow me i am wondering if it could be the cylinders on both sides as the car was parked up for over a year i am stuck and car has to go back for retest in 2 days and the brakes are the only thing stopping me.

lunalupi

...is not a bloke!
Jul 29, 2006
Wiltshire
I thought the foot brake works the front wheels (with a small amount of force to the back) while the handbrake locks the back wheels - if so, then what you have is normal, the back wheels should not fully lock with the foot brake on.

Although my dad says there should be a little valve on the brake lines to the back wheels (or it may be built into the master cylinder), which limits the pressure to the back wheels to stop them locking up before the front wheels - he suggests yours may be stuck.

mat2622

hi many thanks for that i am going to try and bleed them but there is a def problem as mot station told me they need adjusting or replacing but the shoes are in perfect condition so there must be a fault somewhere will try and look for the valve you mentioned tommorow. thanks all for your help if any other suggestions or advice please feel free need all the help and advice i can get.

CatB1

Nov 19, 2003
Manchester
www.freeserve.com
I thought the foot brake works the front wheels (with a small amount of force to the back) while the handbrake locks the back wheels - if so, then what you have is normal, the back wheels should not fully lock with the foot brake on.

Although my dad says there should be a little valve on the brake lines to the back wheels (or it may be built into the master cylinder), which limits the pressure to the back wheels to stop them locking up before the front wheels - he suggests yours may be stuck.

The footbrake operates front & back wheels together, the rears are normally through a proportioning valve to stop the rears locking up before the front. With the footbrake applied, car stationary, the rear wheels should definately not rotate.

Does the handbrake stop the wheels rotating? If they dont it would be indicate a problem with the shoes. If they do I would suspect the rear wheel brake cylinders.

Pete

mat2622

hi guys thanks for your replies i have adjusted the rear brake adjuster in each drum and the handbrake travel has now gone from 6 notches to 3 but the drums still rotate with brake pedal pressed the cylinders are not seized and freely move and there is no air lock and the shoes are in perfect condition i am wondering if it is to do with the pressure valve or somet stopping the rear wheels locking with the handbrake on the drums will not move which is correct but they do only slightly with a lot of grunt and force from me arms i admit they are hard to turn but they do turn slightly each time. i am gonna put it back in hopefully tomorow for retest and see what the mot bloke says. he told me origanly the rear brakes were only producing half what they should be at the time of mot and i am unable to test them now i have adjusted them other than turning them by hand.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise