New brake pads for my Leon III Cupra R 2018 with 370mm Brembo front discs.

TheSwede

Oct 20, 2018
Sweden
Driving pattern. Sometimes I visit a Trackday but mainly I use it on ordinary roads. I have been pleased with the OE-pads so far but the SEAT dealer are rather expensive so this time I want to see if I can replace them with something else.

I have the OE-pads today. In front the brand is Pagid with Audi logo.

OE-equivalent replacement pads from Brembo.
P 85 159 Front with squeal shims (disc 370 mm Brembo caliper).
P 85 124 Rear.
P 85 124X Rear, Extra perhaps more durable but I prefer the same type on both front and rear.

Is this a good choice? I don’t mind changing pads now and then so that’s not an issue.
https://www.bremboparts.com/europe/...1?producttypes=Pad&isProductListFiltered=true

Another possible way to go is to order Brembo HP2000 pads.
I suppose this is the relevant numbers to use if I go with HP2000:
07.B314.83 Front.
07.B315.41 Rear.
Of cause these are more expensive but perhaps I will have some other gains. I have no experience of HP2000.

Pro and cons? Do the HP2000 cause much extended wear on the discs? Do they squeal a lot?

Grateful for some input in the matter. . I have searched for an answer on the forum but not found so much.

FYI I already have the front pads Brembo P 85 159 at home. Payed about 110 EUR for them at Autodoc in Germany.

/Peter

A winter pic, usually in garage in winter :).

20220120_114824.jpg

Last edited:

300bhpdaily

May 26, 2020
Hi I’d agree with above ebc pads are the ones especially if your going to drive on track. I’d recommend the yellow stuff as you’ll probably use it more on the road then full time track use. I’ve got these on my Ibiza and they are very good. I’ve done 10k and 3 track days and they are still like new.

Reactions: Syphon and TheSwede

Stefan147

Jan 29, 2019
Athens Greece
I would definitely go for some Hawk pads although they seem to be quite hard to reach.

After 2 trackdays and 20.000km of daily drive I am really impressed with them. They also seem to be very gentle with the rotors.

Oct 28, 2019
Driving pattern. Sometimes I visit a Trackday but mainly I use it on ordinary roads. I have been pleased with the OE-pads so far but the SEAT dealer are rather expensive so this time I want to see if I can replace them with something else.

I have the OE-pads today. In front the brand is Pagid with Audi logo.

OE-equivalent replacement pads from Brembo.
P 85 159 Front with squeal shims (disc 370 mm Brembo caliper).
P 85 124 Rear.
P 85 124X Rear, Extra perhaps more durable but I prefer the same type on both front and rear.

Is this a good choice? I don’t mind changing pads now and then so that’s not an issue.
https://www.bremboparts.com/europe/...1?producttypes=Pad&isProductListFiltered=true

Another possible way to go is to order Brembo HP2000 pads.
I suppose this is the relevant numbers to use if I go with HP2000:
07.B314.83 Front.
07.B315.41 Rear.
Of cause these are more expensive but perhaps I will have some other gains. I have no experience of HP2000.

Pro and cons? Do the HP2000 cause much extended wear on the discs? Do they squeal a lot?

Grateful for some input in the matter. . I have searched for an answer on the forum but not found so much.

FYI I already have the front pads Brembo P 85 159 at home. Payed about 110 EUR for them at Autodoc in Germany.

/Peter

A winter pic, usually in garage in winter :).

View attachment 29472
What brakes did you go with in the end and are you happy with them?

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
What brakes did you go with in the end and are you happy with them?
Please don't think these Brembo aftermarket pads are the same/ or equivalent to the original & genuine pads.
Equivalent to OE is just marketing BS that all aftermarket suppliers use.
Brembo made the brake system but they did not make the pads. The original/genuine pads were made by Pagid.
I'm afraid you can't even go and buy the Pagid aftermarket pads hoping for reduced price OE pads in the box.
They might both with be 'ok' aftermarket pads - just not original/genuine.

TheSwede

Oct 20, 2018
Sweden
Please don't think these Brembo aftermarket pads are the same/ or equivalent to the original & genuine pads.
Equivalent to OE is just marketing BS that all aftermarket suppliers use.
Brembo made the brake system but they did not make the pads. The original/genuine pads were made by Pagid.
I'm afraid you can't even go and buy the Pagid aftermarket pads hoping for reduced price OE pads in the box.
They might both with be 'ok' aftermarket pads - just not original/genuine.
Yes you are right, the front OE pads were Pagid with Brembo logo +Audi logo, Rear OE were Ate,

@Andyoxon:
I used the Brembo ones:

P85 159 Front with squeal shims. See pic for the half moon cut out on the anti noice shims
P85 124X Rear, (XTRA)

I have just driven the car for 50 miles (75 km) on ordinary roads, Very good braking force so far. On track I can’t tell yet.

Attachments

• 20220217_105516.jpg
    20220217_105516.jpg
    396.9 KB · Views: 209
  • 20220217_110136.jpg
    20220217_110136.jpg
    377.7 KB · Views: 186
  • 20220321_130142.jpg
    20220321_130142.jpg
    533.7 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:
Reactions: SuperV8

TheSwede

Oct 20, 2018
Sweden
Some following up after track day use of Brembo brake pads, front P 85 159, rear P 85 124X. My Cupra have Audi RS3 cooling ducts on front brakes (could have some small impact…).

It was a very hot day in the middle of the summer. Parked the car under the one and only tree available. Up to +30 C in shadow. This track runs counter-clockwise, very rare in Sweden. All other tracks I have visited goes clockwise.

20220909_230545.jpg

Everything worked as expected.

Rear – nothing to say about pads P 85 124X. The OE discs were clean. Main pressure/wear is of cause on the front pads.

Front- Good feeling in the brake pedal. The pedal felt firm also after several laps under high heat.

No lack of brake force before the tires Michelin PS 4S got little bit slippery as it does specially during hot days.

Left (sitting in the car) front disc. Looked good on both sides.

20220814_172024.jpg

Right front disc. Wheel side had some brake pad residuals burned in to the disc. The inside looked good. No big deal. As I mentioned, a very hot day! Have experienced this before also on my former Golf 7 R under similar conditions. Normally I would just drive the car and let normal wear erase the residuals on the disc. But not this time....

20220814_172009.jpg

Next day I decided to remove it with a sandpaper by hand. Best result was with Mirka grit 240. The “no name” grit 180 were not good at all.

20220816_135928.jpg

The reason for sanding right disc was that I felt some minor vibrations during soft braking on my way home from track. It went away after sanding!

Summary - I am satisfied with the pads! Could buy them again.

/Peter

Last edited:
Reactions: SuperV8 and Syphon

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Some following up after track day use of Brembo brake pads, front P 85 159, rear P 85 124X. My Cupra have Audi RS3 cooling ducts on front brakes (could have some small impact…).

It was a very hot day in the middle of the summer. Parked the car under the one and only tree available. Up to +30 C in shadow. This track runs counter-clockwise, very rare in Sweden. All other tracks I have visited goes clockwise.

View attachment 33578

Everything worked as expected.

Rear – nothing to say about pads P 85 124X. The OE discs were clean. Main pressure/wear is of cause on the front pads.

Front- Good feeling in the brake pedal. The pedal felt firm also after several laps under high heat.

No lack of brake force before the tires Michelin PS 4S got little bit slippery as it does specially during hot days.

Left (sitting in the car) front disc. Looked good on both sides.

View attachment 33579

Right front disc. Wheel side had some brake pad residuals burned in to the disc. The inside looked good. No big deal. As I mentioned, a very hot day! Have experienced this before also on my former Golf 7 R under similar conditions. Normally I would just drive the car and let normal wear erase the residuals on the disc. But not this time....

View attachment 33580

Next day I decided to remove it with a sandpaper by hand. Best result was with Mirka grit 240. The “no name” grit 180 were not good at all.

View attachment 33581

The reason for sanding right disc was that I felt some minor vibrations during soft braking on my way home from track. It went away after sanding!

Summary - I am satisfied with the pads! Could buy them again.

/Peter

Interesting feedback.
Being a counter clockwise circuit - you would expect more heat in the right hand brake if you are braking in the bend due to more load on the outside tyre.
That heavy friction material transfer on the right hand disc is not good and a sign you have exceeded the friction material 'comfortable' working temperature. Basically the friction material has given up and unevenly depositing itself on the disc - which is the judder you felt.

Personally I would pick a different front pad friction if you are planning to do track days again.

Reactions: TheSwede

TheSwede

Oct 20, 2018
Sweden
@SuperV8 - Yes. I believe you are right in your conclusion.

I was a bit confused about why the inner surface of the right hand disc looked okay but the outer had some pad deposits. I will check them again after next track visit (don’t know when). Hopefully not so hot outside temp, up to 30 C (86 F), perhaps then go for something else.

We all know that the OE discs are identic left/right same item no, not directional. Cooling could work different on left/right side. In any case to hot for the pad on right hand disc.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
@SuperV8 - Yes. I believe you are right in your conclusion.

I was a bit confused about why the inner surface of the right hand disc looked okay but the outer had some pad deposits. I will check them again after next track visit (don’t know when). Hopefully not so hot outside temp, up to 30 C (86 F), perhaps then go for something else.

We all know that the OE discs are identic left/right same item no, not directional. Cooling could work different on left/right side. In any case to hot for the pad on right hand disc.
Your RS3 brake cooling ducts will be acting mainly on the inside friction face.

You are also right on the direction veins, not being handed.
The Veins on the OEM disc below pointing to the right - mean they would be optimised for the LH side - but working backwards /inefficiently on the RH side.

1662972697228.png

Reactions: TheSwede

TheSwede

Oct 20, 2018
Sweden
Update.

Now I have changed front brake pads to Ferodo DS2500, FDS1334 street/track. I suppose this will be a better solution. The old (Brembo P85159) got worse :).

The cable is just one singel cable, I have cut it off. VAG always work with two cables, so I solered a jumper cable plus heat shrink tube to the connector.

Attachments

• 20230913_150453.jpg
    20230913_150453.jpg
    325.4 KB · Views: 61
  • 20230913_205607.jpg
    20230913_205607.jpg
    617.4 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Reactions: Syphon

tracktoy

Jun 11, 2023
I have a different brake setup to you (I have alcon 380 x 32 mm disk running DS2500) and they work very well on the track (I do at least one a month) but I end up changing them a lot, I have been speaking with https://www.akstuning.co.uk/shop/ and next time I am going to try some other pads to try and get a bit more longevity out of the pads.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.