new gearbox issues

Chrisdaman

1 gearbox dead, any more?
Mar 21, 2007
Kingston
www.flickr.com
fitted a new gearbox last night, went on as the old one came off, this box has been reconned aswell, finished up a couple of bits today, jump started her, went up fine, and idles fine, but i put my foot down on the clutch, and there's a grinding sound, and it wont select the gears :(

any ideas????
Chris

Chrisdaman

Mar 21, 2007
Kingston
www.flickr.com
it selects the gears when the cars not running though.....

the saga continues ffs

it's making a scrubbing sound when the clutch is engaged, i then put my foot on the clutch, bad scrubbing sound, then i can select a gear, and bring the clutch all the way up, without it stalling

red chilli

sounds like clutch relase bearing is at fault ,, possible not fitted correctly or some part of the assembly swing arm etc ,

falling that it could be clutch not properly aligned ,

i wouldnt drive it , you may have to bite the bullet and remove and re check , have alook underneath bonnet with someone in the car pressing the pedal " engine off , see if you can see the movement of it looks free and clear ,if all looks well then only way is to remove gearbox ,and check it all over ,

Last edited by a moderator:

Chrisdaman

Mar 21, 2007
Kingston
www.flickr.com
it needs a new clutch, phone nando last night (nothing to do with chicken :lol: ) and he said that the golf 8v boxes had smaller spline shaft that the clutch sits on. mines a 16v clutch and so doesnt sit on that properly. So i need an 8v clutch :cry:

red chilli

try a company called europarts ,, bloody cheap ,, also try vw you may be surprised ,, i bought a cambelt kit with tensioner from vw ,, and it was 12 pounds cheaper than than anyone else ,

i know this wont be the case on all of parts but its worth a try ,

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members