New Keys

Haggistech

Aug 12, 2008
I only have 1 key for my car and would like a spare

i want a flip key just for easiness of it being in my pocket

what one of these do i buy from ebay lol

i am so dumb when it comes to cars so please excuse me

StuartL

Buy it from Seat themselves. They're really cheap compared to other manufacturers and the key will need to be coded to your car, something I'd have no confidence on someone on ebay doing.

Would you trust some random person in the pub with your car keys, make, model, reg mark and VIN number and then, after all that, give them your address?

Nov 27, 2006
www.cardomain.com
Mk2 Toledo ? (not that it makes a blind bit of difference really)

I got a 2-button flip key off eBay (new, so should have a 'virgin' transponder chip that's not already been coded) and got the blade cut at Timpsons shoe repair/key cutting

SEAT are after an hours labour to code the transponder and programme the buttons (although you can do the last bit yourself if you find the procedure) - at £78 I decided it could wait

StuC

F1 Smart?
Jan 14, 2006
Rugby
When I ordered my replacement keys from Seat, i didn't get a flip key :(
Instead it was a normal looking key. They didn't tell me that would be the case when I ordered it, so worth checking first!

StuartL

I've just had my fingers burned by this. Original conversation with local Seat dealership went along the lines of:

Me: "I need a new key for my Toledo"
Dealer: "Do you want a remote key or a non-remote key?"
Me: "A remote central locking flip key please"
... discussion about registration plates and VIN ensues ...
Dealer: "We don't see many Toledos here. In fact I can't remember the last one we had."
Me: "That's, er, great..."
... stuff happens ...
Dealer: "That will be £30 + vat please."
Me: "That's cheap, I'm impressed, that's definitely a remote control key?"
Dealer: "Yes."
Me: "Do you need me to bring the car or can it be coded remotely?"
Dealer: "You'll need to bring the car, it's about a 15 minute job."
Me: (thinking that that's a surprisingly long time for a key sync job) "That's ok, when do you open?"

... stuff happens, order is placed and one week later ...

Me: "Has my key turned up yet?"
Dealer: "Oh yes, we were about to call you. It's here."
Me: "That's great, though there's a few things I wanted to check following a post I read on a forum. One guy said that he ordered a key and was then charged an hours labour to code the key to his car. This wasn't mentioned to me before."
Dealer: "Well, it's only 15 minutes to code a key."
Me (noticing the dodge of the implied question): "Are you going to charge me to code the key to my car, on top of the price of the key?"
Dealer: "I'd have to put you through to the servicing department to answer that question."
Me: "This wasn't mentioned earlier in the week, please can you ask the servicing department. I'll hold."
Dealer vanishes and returns: "It's 1/4 hour labour, works out to be £22 including VAT."
Me (clearly unhappy): "Right, the other question I have is that one of the forum users asked for a key and got a non-flip key instead of his flip key."
Dealer: "The Toledo never had a flip key, it's only available with a normal key."
Me: "I have one in my hand."
Dealer: "I've never seen a Toledo with a flip key, it was only the later ones that had flip keys and yours is only a 2001 model."
Me: "I have one in my hand and it works with my car."
Dealer: "Let me check."
Dealer now comes back with a quote for the key and fob at £96, three times the original quote. After much back and forth, bearing in mind that he's trying to add another £22 onto that for coding labour, he finally agrees to do the lot for £108, but is clearly pee'd off that he now has a key that I don't want. I tell him I'll call him back without any intention of doing so.

Anyone got any experience of the ebay keys?

Haggistech

Aug 12, 2008
so its 30 including vat for a normal remote key and £22 including vat for labour?

might just get a normal key if it is

kriso

_______ C U P R A _______
Jan 29, 2007
Brighton
I got my flip key blade cut on ebay. I just emailed a photo of the key thursday lunchtime and the new blade arrived friday morning - £7 :)

StuartL

I got my flip key blade cut on ebay. I just emailed a photo of the key thursday lunchtime and the new blade arrived friday morning - £7 :)

Did you get the transponder and remote from ebay too? That's the one that bothers me... How do you programme the transponder to work with the the immobiliser? I believe that the remote central locking is as simple as a button sequence but I've not tried this to prove it works...

nandocas

Hi there,just wanted to add that when my batterie runned out in my flip key i sent my girlfriend to SEAT PENTRAETH to replace the batterie,wich my girlfriend did.she handed the key to the guy in desk and she says he fiddled with it for few minutes and handed the flip key back to my missus saying to her to try it by the car and if it didnt work it was because the key was broken wich he said,it was normal wear tear.Well,dont need to say that it didnt work ,the light wouldnt even come on.only when she came back home i asked her what the guy said and i said straight away that he couldnt be rite about wear tear has im always careful with my things.aniway,after i manage 2 open the key in half and have a look with two open eyes i got it to work in two minutes...maybe i should get job with these people cuz it looks like i can actually repair someting in the car.lolz.

kewe

Jun 20, 2001
Edinburgh
Visit site
I have never tried this procedure, but may be what you're after if you buy one of those keys of e-bay:-

1. Switch Ignition ON and leave the key in the ignition.

2. Mechanically lock the vehicle using the Drivers door using a second key.

3. Using the remote control press the Unlock button once, and the horn will sound once.

4. Wait 6 seconds and press the unlock button once to activate the coding procedure. The remote control will now be programmed.

NOTE : When performing programming on additional remotes the procedure is the same, except you press the unlock button 2, 3 or 4 times for the different remote.

For example : If programming 2 remotes press the unlock button twice with a 1 second interval between each press, repeat for 3 and 4 remotes.

5. Switch Ignition OFF.

6. Remove key from ignition and check for operation.

7. The coding procedure can be repeated up to 4 times for additional remotes.

8. The ignition must be switched OFF between programming each remote control.

Remote Control Erasing (1997 ON)

1. Switch Ignition ON and leave the key in the ignition.

2. Mechanically lock the vehicle using the Drivers door using a second key.

3. Press the remote control unlock button 5 times in 1 second intervals. A short horn will sound.

4. Wait 6 seconds and press the unlock button once to activate memory erase.

5. Switch ignition OFF, all remotes are now erased.

StuartL

I have never tried this procedure, but may be what you're after if you buy one of those keys of e-bay:-

Do you know if this works for the transponder (for the immobiliser) as well as the remote central locking?

Thanks,
Stuart

Nov 27, 2006
www.cardomain.com
No, this'll just be to programme the central locking buttons

I think someone with the right VagCom can programme the transponder... or your friendly, local stealer

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
you'll need the immobiliser code to programme in the new key, if you buy one off ebay make sure the radio frequency is the right one for your car or the remote wont bond with it.

AndyC567

Feb 28, 2006
I have two working flip keys for my 2002 Tolly, both from Ebay..

Use them all the time, never had a problem.

Coded them to the car myself using VagCom.

Fairly straight forward from what I can remember, just need the SKC code from your Dealer.

davec81

I got my flip key off ebay, infact I have second, but not got around to sorting the coding. For the one I have working with the car I stole the imobiliser chip from my spare key (so that now just opens the doors, wont start the car). However I have 2 remote keys one normal old style and one flip style. They are great keys.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise