New Owner accelerator pedal Question

Tonezz

Jan 12, 2011
Preston
Nice to know I am not alone with this dead spot , i was beginning to wonder if it was a fault , so the question , will you or have you purchased a DTUK pedal box ? , personally i might try teh Carista thing first , for teh sake fo £ 20 then if thats no real difference , plump for the pedal box , although 10% difference doesn't sound a lot ? decisions decisions / money and money

I don't think carista will do anything, people are talking about the throttle response with that and not that mushy pedal dead spot you're talking about.

The DTUK pedal box is £200 but I think you can return them.

Btw this issue isn't just Leons, the majority of the posts I found about it was actually Golf R's.

I'm probably not going to bother with anything, but it does annoy me. I just end up putting it in Sport manual mode with normal engine setting, so I have a responsive throttle with no daft sound pumping into the car.

I came from a MK2 FR with DSG and that didn't have all these new fancy settings but the gearbox just had drive or sport, the throttle on that was way better and didn't have this feeling.

Reactions: Avit

Avit

Feb 18, 2020
I don't think carista will do anything, people are talking about the throttle response with that and not that mushy pedal dead spot you're talking about.

The DTUK pedal box is £200 but I think you can return them.

Btw this issue isn't just Leons, the majority of the posts I found about it was actually Golf R's.

I'm probably not going to bother with anything, but it does annoy me. I just end up putting it in Sport manual mode with normal engine setting, so I have a responsive throttle with no daft sound pumping into the car.

I came from a MK2 FR with DSG and that didn't have all these new fancy settings but the gearbox just had drive or sport, the throttle on that was way better and didn't have this feeling.
Thank you . i will have a think on it , but your right its more annoying , but im not sure i can live with it , maybe a bit more time on the individual settings first though

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
If you go from full press on brake and to gas pedal, usually there is a delay. This can be seen from the revs, on full brake, it's say 700rpm, once you go from full press on brake to light press, you might see revs rise to 850rpm, and the clutch will engage, once u press gas pedal this way, it will go...and go some...or did I misunderstand and this happens even when you are already moving? I had a 2.0TDI 150BHP DSG, and it certainly doesn't hesistate, even at roundabouts it pulls away in 2nd and it goes...what fuel does it use?

Avit

Feb 18, 2020
If you go from full press on brake and to gas pedal, usually there is a delay. This can be seen from the revs, on full brake, it's say 700rpm, once you go from full press on brake to light press, you might see revs rise to 850rpm, and the clutch will engage, once u press gas pedal this way, it will go...and go some...or did I misunderstand and this happens even when you are already moving? I had a 2.0TDI 150BHP DSG, and it certainly doesn't hesistate, even at roundabouts it pulls away in 2nd and it goes...what fuel does it use?
its not the issue when i am driving , like i said once i am going you foot kinda just adjusts to what you want , it really reversing out of my drive then engaging Drive then putting your foot on a sponge and nothing happening till your half way down , at which point the gap you chose has reduced considerably ! also the same at junctions and round about , having to give yourself the additional buffer to actually go without engaging sport mode every time and its tdi

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
INteresting, mine was a late 2013 2.0TDI DSG, so it's def way before the stricter emissions...maybe try some super diesel and see if that goes away? Worth a try, and if not, then at least you have a nice and clean engine internals due to the super diesel cleaning properties!

Tonezz

Jan 12, 2011
Preston
Its just the gearbox and it happens with them all, some people just don't realise it I guess. I come from another high power DSG which didn't do it so I instantly noticed it.

Like I said in the other post its most likely to make you set off smoothly for normal driving, it stops the clutch from snatching and you wheel spinning but I just find I end up pushing it down too hard to find the sweet spot and it spins up anyway.

But it definitely is more responsive in DSG sport mode, also sport mode idles about 400rpm higher than drive mode and also the turbo sits spooling idle also.

I'm not sure if you get it in non Cupras but that screen where you can have the turbo PSI up, in drive mode idle there is no PSI, in Sport mode it sits at around 5PSI idle so I guess thats effecting the response of the car from standing also.

Avit

Feb 18, 2020
a friend of mine had a vds thingy and we managed to change the throttle type to linear , no great difference for me or it didn't work . so i have now ordered the DTUK pedal box ... watch this space or the for sale ads dependent on which way it goes !

Reactions: Tonezz and Wilkesy

Tonezz

Jan 12, 2011
Preston
a friend of mine had a vds thingy and we managed to change the throttle type to linear , no great difference for me or it didn't work . so i have now ordered the DTUK pedal box ... watch this space or the for sale ads dependent on which way it goes !

Interested to hear!

MH0

Aug 7, 2019
Hello All,
I have recently moved to a Mk 3 Leon FR ST tdi 2014 184 DSG , which i absolutely love having gone from a manual 2010 Golf tdi GT , but i have one niggle but Im not 100% sure ts normal or a potential problem , Its more to do with the accelerator - is it right that the fist 50% appears to be well pointless , ie i have to press it almost halfway down to get any real decent movement ? compared to my wife's mini d cooper auto box , her throttle is very sensitive from the minute you apply any pressure. I did search through threads before i posted , but couldn't see anything that pointed to this , so apologies if i missed any threads. I get a little bit of gear lag , but thatsnot the issue , its certainly appears to be the sensitivity of he accelerator ? Any helps advise would be appreciated

I have the same problem with my cupra but it's something I got used to. I believe it is to make you set off smoothly for normal driving. But I quite like it as when you are trying to go over humps at very low speeds. Your car doesn't just jump forward and give you an uncomfortable experience. But I do believe this is the benefit of the cars getting higher mpg as the car isn't accelerating aggresively.

Avit

Feb 18, 2020
Interested to hear!
Ok so ... Pedal box ordered yesterday and arrived a couple of hours ago - fitting took less than 5 mins after reading everything and despite it absolutely P155ing it down - i set the box in race mode ( standard no tweaking ) reversed off my drive into the road , hit Drive and accelerated - result = no soggy cabbage or sponge effect - it accelerated like sports mode but in Drive :) without having to boot the pedal , sensitivity is much more and as i am used too, although i only had a 5 mins drive around the village - the difference is very noticeable and so much better - if its uses a few less mpg , then i really don't care , after all i didn't buy the car for fuel economy ! surely this is how it should have been from stock ? I know its only been 5 mins and i will update gain once i have had chance to drive the car and have more of a play , but the immediate difference is very good !

pompeydave

Nov 30, 2017
Ok so ... Pedal box ordered yesterday and arrived a couple of hours ago - fitting took less than 5 mins after reading everything and despite it absolutely P155ing it down - i set the box in race mode ( standard no tweaking ) reversed off my drive into the road , hit Drive and accelerated - result = no soggy cabbage or sponge effect - it accelerated like sports mode but in Drive :) without having to boot the pedal , sensitivity is much more and as i am used too, although i only had a 5 mins drive around the village - the difference is very noticeable and so much better - if its uses a few less mpg , then i really don't care , after all i didn't buy the car for fuel economy ! surely this is how it should have been from stock ? I know its only been 5 mins and i will update gain once i have had chance to drive the car and have more of a play , but the immediate difference is very good !

I've had pedal boxes on most cars I purchased (some interchangeable) , it makes a hell of a difference as you said .In Eco mode it's still better than stock and I found mpg didn't differ at all. In red/race mode I found I was driving so much faster all the time so had to drop it down abit lol .
Although some of my cars have been quite nippy ( fiesta st) a pedal box is a must in my opinion.

Avit

Feb 18, 2020
I've had pedal boxes on most cars I purchased (some interchangeable) , it makes a hell of a difference as you said .In Eco mode it's still better than stock and I found mpg didn't differ at all. In red/race mode I found I was driving so much faster all the time so had to drop it down abit lol .
Although some of my cars have been quite nippy ( fiesta st) a pedal box is a must in my opinion.
Certainly no arguing from me on that score , and to think a couple of days ago , i had no idea what a pedal box was so thanks to @DEAN0 for putting me on to this

pompeydave

Nov 30, 2017
Certainly no arguing from me on that score , and to think a couple of days ago , i had no idea what a pedal box was so thanks to @DEAN0 for putting me on to this

Also as said some are interchangeable ie my old fiesta 1.0 ecoboost had one that also fitted my fiesta ST. So maybe a 1.4/1.5 one will fit a Cupra if (and should be) same connector on acc pedal.
That way people can find a secondhand one on eBay at a fraction of the cost of new.

Tonezz

Jan 12, 2011
Preston

Interesting, I might check it out in the future. I really hardly do any mileage for it to be worth my while at the moment though.

So is Race the highest preset on it?

Reactions: pompeydave

Avit

Feb 18, 2020
Interesting, I might check it out in the future. I really hardly do any mileage for it to be worth my while at the moment though.

So is Race the highest preset on it?
It has off (?or stock ) city , sport and sport plus , in each of the 3 modes your can increase or decrease sensitity by +3 or -3 and increments between so 7 steps in each of the 3 modes , current test was in just plain sport ... unfortunately time wasn’t on my side today so not been out since. Oh but I stayed in Normal Drive Mode in the Car. Don’t think I’m ready for sport + and +3 and sport mode yet ... but one day

Last edited:

pompeydave

Nov 30, 2017
Hi Tonezz
Yes race mode or sport + is the highest setting but then you have some fine tuning as well.Dtuk have done 2 types of pedalbox , the newer style has even more fine tuning but having had both they both work well.
There is Eco , sport , sport+ on the original one then +\- up 3 or down 3. I found Eco + 2 worked very well .
Sport+ is very sensitive , the touch of the accelerator and you're off.A lot of people like this but I like it a little lower down hence Eco + 2.
Hope this explains it , really easy to fit and if you can find a used one (quite rare) grab it , worth every penny.

Newer style pedal box same fitting just a few extra fine tuning in up 5 or down 5 on the sensitiveness.

Some people just say put your foot down more but it's the change in pedal sensitiveness that's makes this worth the money.And the fact you can change up or down when you want.

Reactions: Tonezz

Avit

Feb 18, 2020
Hi Tonezz
Yes race mode or sport + is the highest setting but then you have some fine tuning as well.Dtuk have done 2 types of pedalbox , the newer style has even more fine tuning but having had both they both work well.
There is Eco , sport , sport+ on the original one then +\- up 3 or down 3. I found Eco + 2 worked very well .
Sport+ is very sensitive , the touch of the accelerator and you're off.A lot of people like this but I like it a little lower down hence Eco + 2.
Hope this explains it , really easy to fit and if you can find a used one (quite rare) grab it , worth every penny.

Newer style pedal box same fitting just a few extra fine tuning in up 5 or down 5 on the sensitiveness.

Some people just say put your foot down more but it's the change in pedal sensitiveness that's makes this worth the money.And the fact you can change up or down when you want.
Agreed , my settings are slightly different to description above but same thing .... and yes totally agree with your last comment sensitivity by having instant response mine was form th Uk but German Pedal box - didn’t feel I need the plus version with app access. - seems pointless and routing through up and into the little storage flip down on the right of the drivers side was an absolute doodle ... good oem clips bit fiddly at the top of the accelerator but really all done in 5 mins in the rain !

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.