new single mass conversion fitted now problems!!!??

Banksy 1

ibiza cupra
May 27, 2007
Stoke-On-Trent
hi, i fitted my single mass conversion kit about 2weeks ago which i brought from unipart as was cheap at £150, they said it was a valeo one but it came in there box with no valeo markings on the pressure plate or anything, anyway once fitted it drove fine for about 2 weeks untill this morning when without no warning it became difficult to get it into gear and crunched sometimes, when i dip the clutch when revving say about 4,000 rpm the revvs dont seem to drop as they should and feels as though its still biting, first thing i did is to bleed it up again but still the same, changed the slave cylinder but still the same if not worst, changed my master cylinder last year so shoud be fine so all i can think of now is the clutch faulty or wrong, i did smell burning when removed the slave cylinder but arent sure if this is down to me driving it while not clearing correctly for about 2 miles, any info would be great as i am now off the road again! or if anyone has had similiar problems with the same conversion kit?

EZ Tutty

Nov 21, 2006
Derby
www.eztutty.co.uk
i've got that conversion kit, and mines been fine in respect of your problems, however everything on mine did have Valeo markings on (but in a unipart box)... altho just over a year on mine has started slipping (due to a coolant leak getting down the clutch inspection hole for the past few months :( ).

If it's not the clutch it's self, only other thing i can think of is the clutch fork.

Either way it's time to pull the box off and see whats going on.

Banksy 1

ibiza cupra
May 27, 2007
Stoke-On-Trent
i've got that conversion kit, and mines been fine in respect of your problems, however everything on mine did have Valeo markings on (but in a unipart box)... altho just over a year on mine has started slipping (due to a coolant leak getting down the clutch inspection hole for the past few months :( ).

If it's not the clutch it's self, only other thing i can think of is the clutch fork.

Either way it's time to pull the box off and see whats going on.

yeah i cant think of anything else it could be really other than the clutch, its just a pain with me only taking the box out 2weeks ago! and me car being off the road again, i thought it would be just abit of air in the system but no air at all as bled it with a pressure bleeder, still prefer not to take the box out if i can help it if anyone else konows what other problems can occur?

Banksy 1

ibiza cupra
May 27, 2007
Stoke-On-Trent
right i took the box out again yesterday and was amazed to see the clutch plate shattered! the center of it had broke up around the springs! so anyway decided no to go with the same clutch again so had a genuine g60wheel flywheel and LUK clutch, once fitted i took it for a drive and was still the same!???? but after 2mins of driving it was fine???? now it goes into gear ok and the clutch feels light than ever, but when cold it crunches going into reverse and can be difficult to get back out of reverse once in??? i know its not the clutch this time so what else could it be??? had enough of this car now!!!!

Banksy 1

ibiza cupra
May 27, 2007
Stoke-On-Trent
Just a random idea but, how have you been setting up the gear linkage?

Have a read of this thread - http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4406736 and follow the guide in the 3rd post (if your not already doing it this way)

Well i didnt remove the linkages in such a way that they need to be reset as i poped the cables off the box and then just undid the three 13mm bolts that hold the brcket to the box, so was a case of just bolting it back on and poping the linkages on. well anyway the next day the clutch was fine and has been fine since, i was just abit confused on what could be the cause of this as i have replaced many clutches at work and once bled up they should be fine and not notchy then be ok the next day? just glad its ok now but just dont want the same problem to happen to this new clutch if there is another fault which caused the old clutch to break up.

Dec 3, 2007
cardiff
problem with the clutch fork?? is it bent and not releasing properly. when you bleed the slave how do you do it>??

best way is to take the slave off the car and bleed it by manually pushing the piston in with your hand, hold it with the nipple to the top so that all air goes to the top. once this has been done you kow its been bled correctly. have you used new fluid?? did you torque up the pressure plate correctly?? and to what ?

Aug 7, 2009
Manchester U.K
Fork, i thought they wer centric slaves? Is the centric ok as it may be sitting on the pressure plate wrong? Also are you geting the clutch inline when installing it and it isnt aqward to get in? Id check the CSC my self. If im wrong and its a fork and bearing assebly id be inspecing the fork and bearing my self, rare for clutch forks to bend but they can.

Dec 3, 2007
cardiff
i had a bent one. and yeah its a clutch arm not folk but still works on a bearing and same principle as fork.

check it for wear or it sticking. but like i said bleed slave as stated above and you should be on a winner.

seems strange for a clutch to go so soon so i believe you may have another fault somewhere and thats why the other clutch went so fast

Banksy 1

ibiza cupra
May 27, 2007
Stoke-On-Trent
Well i bleed the clutch up with a pressure bleeder which i have at work and fluid flowed freely from the nipple, and yeah it was new fluid, well when i put my 1st clutch in i did replace the gearbox with a second hand one as 1st gear was noisy in mine, Well i did think about the arm being bent but after i put the gearbox back in for the second time! and is impossible really to inspect with the box back in, well the clucth how it broke up was around the spline on the centre of the clutch plate and spun the middle round which then pushed the springs outwards, got pics so will post them soon, so it just looked like the cheap clutch couldnt handle the torque i hope! and i didnt torque the pressure plate bolts i just tightened them up as i always do by holding the flywheel with a bar and tightening them in sequence until i know they are tight enough. The clutch has still not missed a beat yet and had no crunching in reverse since so just hope it holds up!

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.