New Virtual cockpit

Tell

Staff member
Ok a Leon video has appeared here

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XB9M8qAAWNM

At 3:30 on you can see the central infotainment screen is closed down as the guy presses the icon on it that directs the image onto the electronic dash, so that's a Mib2 Standard unit, doesn't have the hot buttons either side thou, they have been scrapped.

I caught no sight of the compass display which would be the next turn part of the screen as per the other video perhaps that wasn't demo-ed. Yes, so if your co-driver acts as the navigator a bit of a bummer for navigation if you have the Mib2 Standard unit. Given I share the driving 50:50 on long-hauls but 100 percent of the time I'm the navigator, to me I wouldn't consider the standard unit if I was having the electronic dash else I'd be straining my neck or messing up the front dash display whilst looking at the map. Some people may be happy with this setup. Mib2 High is better for me assuming this is rolled out as it is on VW to the electronic dash.

Link below is on an Allspace with Mib2 High where both maps are shown together :). I can cope with the display that he's got up on that it's all I'd want.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKbplsmY-FI

Last edited:

cbcdesign

Feb 5, 2015
Well if its just on the one screen so be it. I don't need a map on two screens and if I need somebody to direct me that's what the turn by turn spoken commands are for.

I certainly would not pay for the nav plus system just so I can have a map on each screen.

But the jury is still out. If you look in the comments below the first video Olli complains that the demo did not include individual settings of the two displays. The reply to it suggests the chap making the video is still not sure what he can and cannot do. Until I get mine I remain uncertain about the capabilities of the standard nav system and VC.

Last edited:

Tell

Staff member
I fiddle with the map when I'm the co-driver so I'd get annoyed by loosing it and I'm use to the 3D emblematic graphics on my current Ateca so it would be a step backwards for me :). Keeping the Ateca plus have the Allspace version of the Seat is the plan. Anyhow it does resolve how it's going to work. Get my legroom back :).

Yes, the guy didn't show the centre fill on the speedometer where the compass appeared on the VW demo. That will be where the next turn would be if it was a VW, the compass is the default image if you don't put a navigation destination in and start it off, then the standard display then shows you the next turns plus the current time, time to destination etc. The latter they had elsewhere.

The other thing we didn't see is how it shows the lane information panel that normally appears to the left of the main display.... it's that one that is sometimes different from the next turn display - I don't think that one is my hacking of the Navigation Plus that causes that, it was doing it before. So I guess that panel will appear nicely on the left of the main map in the electronic cockpit (*). It's that one that the disciples of Google Maps forget about or don't know of it's existence. Lane guidance is very useful when driving across Europe plus the way inbuilt satnav deals with exits within tunnels or just as leaving where stand-alone systems for Goggle / Apple Maps loose satellite contact and don't use wheel revolutions to approximate where the car is when it's blind.

I thought the font was a bit italics compared to the VW but you might get use to it unless it's set via user preferences.

(*) on the left hand box for lane assist, really need to see how that's executed in a video. Perhaps that is left off which would be a pity... that box also gives details of next car parks, restaurants, petrol stations etc whatever you select when it's not showing the lane to be in at junctions if you set that panel up.

I think this might takes us in a full circle. The guy was ambiguous about what the offer was, in reality the same as VW on the hardware front. The one demoed to Thomas was the Mib2 High, 3D emblematic buildings and you can see the next turn display option. From 20:54

https://youtu.be/62LGicoVo5Y

Looking at another Cupra wonder if with Obdeleven / VCDS you can make the background of the speedo white... people will be modding for the needle swing plus the white background :D. Was looking to see how it throws up the left panel... still looking.

Last edited:

Tell

Staff member
I feel happier now. It's going to look I guess like whatever appears on the Leons in that screen size but be advised of the issue of how the base unit works against the Plus with the centre screen thrown to the dash display. For those that aren't interested in the inbuilt navigation they wouldn't be bothered, those that are by varying degrees I guess.... the execution in Seat form will be in the fonts I reckon.... told that demo cars will be coming in soon with it on.

Last edited:

Brandon

May 7, 2017
Wiltshire
I picked up my Cupra yesterday and it has the virtual cockpit fitted. Still getting used to it but so far I like it. You have 5 user settings to 'play' with but has a very clean, modern look to it. Happy to answer any questions and show some photos if anyone is interested.

Tell

Staff member
Brandon that's good. I'd like to see how it shows the next turn screen against the background map and how it resolves the junction turning guidance that normally appear on the left of the main screen as you approach a junction. I haven't seen the latter demoed.

Brandon

May 7, 2017
Wiltshire
Hi Tell, so I just had a quick look and have taken a photo of the turn display. Unfortunately, I can't paste a photo on this reply. When I try to insert an image it's asking for a http address! Anyway, the cockpit shows the map with blue directions superimposed on the map and the touchscreen shows a left turn in a box. Does that help?

Brandon

May 7, 2017
Wiltshire
Brandon that's good. I'd like to see how it shows the next turn screen against the background map and how it resolves the junction turning guidance that normally appear on the left of the main screen as you approach a junction. I haven't seen the latter demoed.

Tell,

I think this might work.

fpz46Wz3UmnD8pt63

Tell

Staff member
You can use

imgur.com

It's free.

You upload then cup and paste the address out taking from the right hand side a series of links offered up against the picture, take the BBCode one, second from the bottom, that goes straight in.

Would be good to see a full range.

Brandon

May 7, 2017
Wiltshire
Thanks. I don't know whether the sat nav demo mode would also demo onto the virtual cockpit. You start it off approaching a junction and snap away.

Tell,

Fingers crossed this works...

What else would you like to see?

Last edited:

Tell

Staff member
Is that the "Plus" unit since you have both up on the screen together or did Seat sort the functioning out ?.,,, unless it behaves like this in demo mode if that is what it is.

In the mock speedometer dial you should be able to see the next turn which is different from the lane positioning shown on the left screen although on the example these are the same. Think the traditional next turn isn't being shown until a few more clicks to a different screen. Perhaps your junction is complex enough. A motorway junction is a good example where it gives the junction name and positioning.

My pre occupation is that there is good lane information shown on the left at complex junctions and how it manages to do that on the virtual **** pit. Perhaps it doesnt.

I know we haven't had bright light, some quarters questioned about visibility of the screen... must say I do like gadgets thou :).

Brandon

May 7, 2017
Wiltshire
Is that the "Plus" unit since you have both up on the screen together or did Seat sort the functioning out ?.,,, unless it behaves like this in demo mode if that is what it is.

In the mock speedometer dial you should be able to see the next turn which is different from the lane positioning shown on the left screen although on the example these are the same. Think the traditional next turn isn't being shown until a few more clicks to a different screen. Perhaps your junction is complex enough. A motorway junction is a good example where it gives the junction name and positioning.

My pre occupation is that there is good lane information shown on the left at complex junctions and how it manages to do that on the virtual **** pit. Perhaps it doesnt.

I know we haven't had bright light, some quarters questioned about visibility of the screen... must say I do like gadgets thou :).

No, it's not in demo mode. I simply pressed the Navigation function, selected a destination then pressed the small icon on the touchscreen to toggle the map to the cockpit, which puts the world graphic as a background and a turning window on the touchscreen. Yes, maybe a more complex turn may show something different but I was going down country roads so maybe it didn't show the turn on the cockpit. I'll try pressing the right thumb wheel on the steering wheel and the mode button to see if I can get it displayed over the next dad or so.

Tell

Staff member
No, it's not in demo mode. I simply pressed the Navigation function, selected a destination then pressed the small icon on the touchscreen to toggle the map to the cockpit, which puts the world graphic as a background and a turning window on the touchscreen. Yes, maybe a more complex turn may show something different but I was going down country roads so maybe it didn't show the turn on the cockpit. I'll try pressing the right thumb wheel on the steering wheel and the mode button to see if I can get it displayed over the next dad or so.

Ah, thought you were being discrete about where you lived. May be what I'm looking for isn't shown in the standard system. It did cross my mind about what level of information you get in that box.

Tell

Staff member
Yes. Brandon in post 28 revealed what happens to the left panel, it stays put, so the next turn screen which runs separate to that panel you can put up in the digital dash. One option is to get that on the right within the traditional speed dial.

What still bothers me slightly is that panel which isn't shifted has more details in it than the next turn traditional dash screen, least a motorways intersections etc. Least that's my interpretation, the map basically becomes a background.

cbcdesign

Feb 5, 2015
At last I have my car, collected from the dealership this morning. Even though I only have the standard Sat Nav and cannot display the map on both screens at once the VC is still a really nice feature and looks stunning. Pictures and videos really don't do it justice in my opinion.

Reactions: Tell and Brandon
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.