Newbie Cordoba with immobiliser problem

dodgemnz

Hi all,
Im from New Zealand and im trying to fix a Cordoba 1.6 8V with an imobiliser problem.
The car has no central locking from what i can tell. We dont have the original security key only a new blank key that works the locks.
The engine runs for aprox 3 secs then turns off and the engine ecu fault codes say it was disabled and the immobiliser codes says it cant read the key or has a weak signal.

I have no idea what happened to the original key for this car as i got it in this condition from a garage that was disposing of it on behalf of the owner!

The plan... I have a coded key and matching immobiliser box from under the dash panel of the exact same model of car and also the column switch with pickup coil.
Question ... Can i fit the immobiliser ecu and use the key that matches it with out having to change anything else?
or... do I have to program the vin number or other id into the immobiliser to make it match. Im presuming this system is basic and there is no ecu in the instriments or no engine ecu changes required?

VIN: VSSZZZ6KZXR185xxx

immo p/n 6H0-953-257-A
immo id VWZ3Z0W2280722

(launch X431 scanner)

Cheers
Mike

dodgemnz

You should just be able to use the immobiliser box with the transponder chip out of the matching key in the key that fits the locks etc.

Hey thanks, Is it easy to take the chip out of they key it looks like it might be moulded in?

Cheers
Mike

dodgemnz

I have now got the replacement immobiliser box in the car and it sems to be recognising the key .
Now there is an error code in the immobiliser that the engine ecu is not authorised! (01177)
How do i code the engine ecu or the immobliser to recognise the engine ecu?
Engine ecu is also faulting with engine control unit disabled (17978, P1570)

Im going in circles with this one... i guess the engine ecu and immobiliser must communicate to each other in some way. I can only see two data feilds on the immobiliser but no clues as to how to alter anything to make them work together?

Cheers
Mike

dodgemnz

Hi All,
I have now got the cordoba running, i was lucky enough to locate the correct engine ecu that went with the used immobiliser and code key. I cleared all the fault codes and the car started and ran for the first time in nearly two years!
I would still like to know what immobiliser system the cordoba uses if ever i need to recode the key or change the ecu.
From what i have found on the net there is several types of immobiliser system and each has a specific way of coding replacement keys and matching engine ecu should it need to be replaced.
Make sure you dont loose your original keys or the factory 4 or seven digit code information that comes with each new car as happened to this car.
Cheers
Mike

Oswald

I have an Ibiza with 2 original keys that has the same problem since a few days. I could start it after 10-15 tries before (happened two times already) but now it doesn't start anymore. Well, it starts, but after 2 seconds it shuts down. Neither one of these keys works.

Any idea how much this should cost me to get fixed, what parts need to be changed? And how I can quick fix it, because my car is 40 kms from home and towing would cost a lot of money...

dodgemnz

Hi,
Im not sure what it would cost to fix it but you could try unplugging the wire from the transponder coil (its fitted around the key) as i had also read they get a bad conection at the immobiliser box, and try pluggng it back in and also disconnecting the battery for about 15 mins.
The immobiliser box is under the dash panel right above the fusebox (directly where the latch is for the drop down compartment) and it has a black shielded wire with brown and white wires going between the steering wheel and the box.
I used a scanner to read the fault codes and it told me i had a weak key signal if the key was not detected.
Parts from a VW polo will fit as well but if your going to do swaps like i did u have to change the transponder box and engine ecu and key all from the same car! The pickup coil could be changed without altering anything and it will work as long as it is near the key it will detect the code ( this could be tried on the roadside!)
I would suggest if the plug being removed and re fitted doesnt work that you have it scanned to see what problem the immobiliser has in the fault codes.
Reply back here to let us know how u got on.
Cheers
Mike

Oswald

I'll try that tomorrow, my car is still on the school parking lot. It's a '96-'97 model, don't know if that makes a difference. Thx for the help so far.

dodgemnz

Hi,
Im not sure exactly how different a Late Ibeza is as they were never imported to this country! We had the earlier Ibeza 86-89 and a few Cordoba's. maybe some others on the forum can assist but its probably very similar to the Cordoba immobiliser
Cheers
Mike