Noise on 4th gear from drivers side

16vAK

Dec 25, 2006
Another noise has started in my car :(

When driving at around 40mph on 4th gear, there seems to be a whirring noise. Its coming directly from the drivers side wheel area, and its heard more when say going downhill and at a steady speed.

I've experienced what gearbox bearings sound like in the early stage, and this is no where near or as loud as this.

When clutching down, it certainly goes quieter, but is not gone. I've had the wheel bearings and bushes checked by a garage and they are fine.

The drivers side CV joint was replaced, as it got damaged when my coilovers were fitted back in Oct, but it was brand new and genuine part.

Anyone experienced this or know what this could be?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
did the y fill the cv joint rubber gator with grease when they fitted it?

has the rubber gator split or come loose and sprayed the grease all round the wheel arch?

rashcupra

MV AGUSTA & 1.8T DUB MK4
Oct 15, 2006
crawley
could be a faulty driveshaft or is the rubber boots split like nathwarr said this would make a clunking noise on take up too tho! does diagnose to be a wheel bearing tho

Phil__Arosa

i think i get a similar whirring noise at around that speed and in 4th. and like you say it goes / gets very quiet when clutch is depressed. no idea what it is.

16vAK

Dec 25, 2006
Thanks for the replies :happy:

Had a listen out for it again today. It appears that clutching down does get rid of it, if not quite it down.

To describe the noise more accurately now! - imagine what normal transmission noise sounds like - the consistent whirring. Its this noise but bounces up and down instead of remaining consistent. TBH sounds like a wheel bearing, but its not according to the garage. And i've had a look at it too, it seems fine with no play.

Its only on fourth gear between 35-37mph. After and before this speed it is strangely not heard - even in the same gear.

Its not high-pitched (nor the loud very high-pitched whine which is a sign of worn gearbox bearings), and can only really be heard when the stereo is off.

Would changing oil in anyway help this? Gearchanges are perfect, not crunching or nothing.

Last edited:

rashcupra

MV AGUSTA & 1.8T DUB MK4
Oct 15, 2006
crawley
if it goes when transmission and drive is disconnected this is where your problem is 100%! if its that precise it wont be a wheel bearing. if it only sounds between 35-37mph ive never heard of this and im intersested to find out!

16vAK

Dec 25, 2006
Definetely is just in between those speeds and in 4th. if you're doing the same speeds in 3rd or 5th, there is no noise :s

Would changing gearbox oil help or possibly eliminate this if it was the gearbox?
its still most probably the same oil that was put in back when new (in 2003).

- not sure if i can do this myself, as it looks tricky so maybe a garage jobbie!

Phil__Arosa

not sure what would help. mines only 2 years old and done 9k, so I might listen out a bit more then get it into seat to analyse

rashcupra

MV AGUSTA & 1.8T DUB MK4
Oct 15, 2006
crawley
16vAK there will be a level plug on the sid of the gear box somewhere if you remove this the oil should drizzle out slowley if it doesnt then top it up with a funnel and pipe doubt this would be your problem or it would make a noise in every gear but if its really low then it could just be good to check it only takes two seconds (once uve founf the level plug that is!)

16vAK

Dec 25, 2006
I'm thinking of just draining all the gearbox oil out and putting some fresh synthetic gear oil in altogether. I've heard that the oil that is used originally is not that great and therefore changing it to synthetic one may help?!?

Also a mate told me to use something called Slick 50 Gearbox treatment. Is it okay to use a gearbox treatment, or will it just create more problems on the long run?

Gonna give it to a garage i think. Gonna cost a bit though not sure if it will be worthwhile or not :S

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members