Noise when turning right

Tonybeau

Hi, need some help.

I've got an '04 Leon Cupra R and have noticed the past couple of days there seems to be a groaning noise when I'm turning right (on roundabouts mainly noticed). IT has only started the past couple of days and I'm not sure exactly where it's coming from - it seems to be the centre of the car from below where the handbrake handle is.

The noise is there in both 2nd and 3rd gear and haven't tried it in other gears. If I pop it into neutral then the noise dissapears. If it was gearbox related why would it only do it when turning right?

The only thing I can think is the exhaust blowing - would a slight turn to the right open up a gasket if it was on it's way out???

Anyone had this problem please help.

Thanks,

Tony

shaunangus

Hi Tonybeau,

i had the same problem a few weeks ago and this was fixed by replacing the CV joint as it was damaged and had been making the noise for months. My CV boot was cracked and was replaced but the garage that did the work did not grease the CV joint and i had the noise a few months later.

Took it to 3 garages and no one could find the problem in the end i asked one garage to replace the NSF drive shaft as i thought this was the problem and then said they will replace the joint and not the whole shaft as this would have cost over £500 in the end it was £120.

If i was you i would make sure there is grease in the CV boot if there is it might be contaminated.

Tonybeau

Thanks for the info. Am away at the end of next week and the car is due in at the garage to replace the rear discs and pads so will ask the mechanic to check it out.

Cheers,

Tony

Tonybeau

Took the car into a garage yesterday to check out the noise. Turned out to be a broken exhaust hanger (snapped off the rear silencer). It could have been welded back on but I have used the excuse to replace with a Cat back Milltek system :D:D

It'll be going in for the exhaust and a stage 1 custom code remap in the next few days as just waiting for the garage to get the exhaust in stock.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.