noisy tyres!!

Potts

i know that tyres have been covered millions of times before when it comes to wear and handling, but which tyres are the best when it comes to noise?

im asking this because i need 4 new tyres to replace the original brigstones which i have found to be very noisy on my ibiza tdi.

i live in north wales so the roads arnt in the best condititon and are very windy, so i need a good all round tyre too!

any sugestions? :confused: please help!

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Hi Potts

If you've got a Sport/FR etc with 16" or 17" wheels then I doubt changing tyres will make very much improvement.
If you want to cut down on noise, best course of action is to fit some soundproofing, as Seat seemingly forgot to :)

Potts

ye ive got the fr on 16" wheels muddyboots and find the noise terrible on some of the rougher roads around here.
how do you go about putting extra sound proofing in?

Potts

ive ordered 4 kumho ku31 to replace my brigstone tyres see how i get on with them. they seem to get some good reviews and are a really good price compared to other branded tyres.
cheers for the info ad lav but i think i will give takin the car apart a miss as im good at takin stuff apart but not so good when it comes to putting it all back again!! lol!

OllieS

Tyres!

Potts,

How did you get on with the KU-31's regarding road noise? I have Continental's on at the moment and they are doing my head in with the road noise!

Your help will be duly appreciated!

Regards

Ollie

Brummy

Nazi Moderator-Bot
Mar 6, 2005
Moved to the DarkSide
Really dont think its a soundproofing issue, tbh.. Im now on my third Mk4 and this one is the first to have Bridgestones on and they are incredibly noisy!

Potts

ollie,
i found the kumho ku31 to be an improvement on the bridgestones that i had on as far as road noise, enough so that i didnt have to put any sound proofing in. but on some of the rougher roads around here its still a bit noisy but i just think that is down to the hard suspention and low profile tyres. and as for handling and wear i have found tham as good as any other tyre ive ever had and for a buget price, so much so that i went and got another set!
hope this is of some help to you.
potts

OllieS

Potts,

Thanks for the info dude. I am currently deciding between Toyo T1-R's or Kumho KU31's. I used to have Kumho's on my MG ZS and they were a good tyre, but I want the quietest I can get and I think Toyo's seem to have the best reviews regarding tyre noise. Thanks for your help chap.

Much Appreciated!

Mar 13, 2008
Suffolk
My car came with some crap front tyres and was very noisey!. My mate has some cheap make tyres all round on his Ibiza with 16" alloys and thats like a fecking fighter jet when traveling above 60mph+. I just had some Toyo T1Rs fitted and they are much better than my other tyres. The grip is OK IMO but not that great.

I got some underlay to try in the car to see if it stopped the road noise before i bought some soundproofing stuff. I put 3 layers in the boot, and 3 layers under the rear seat, And just cut to to sit nicely and it worked pretty well. Few people have said to take the rear door cards off and put soundproofing in there will help. Its well worth it as it cost me nothing.

Luke

tkjeeves

Blue
Jul 13, 2008
oxford
i've got Dynamat Extreme on my doors, thick sponge dampening tiles on the back quarter, standard Dynamat under the rear seats and in the boot around the spare tyre well as part of my sound system install. Still freggin noisy on my Yokohama A520, nice tyres though. Think i might switch to Toyo when the set goes.

Thurman

Jan 28, 2008
I've just had a set of 4 Toyo T1-R's fitted to My FR TDI (blackcircles.com) and have noticed better grip in dry and wet conditions. Maybe a slight reduction in road noise. Good tyre IMHO

OllieS

Cheers for the info boys, It sounds daft but I know both the Toyos and the Kumho's will be fine grip wise, its really whats going to be the quietest of both. Decisions Decisions....

I too have 16" wheels with the original tyres. I too am fed up with all the NOISE. I have soundproofed extensively which has made a big difference but the ride is still very bumpy and the NOISE is still there.

I am contemplating putting 15" wheels on. Which ones will fit? I don't want anything fancy, just some used ones off ebay or the like. Would VW Golf wheels fit?

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise