Nomad pillar fitment?

HarveyGTI

hi all

well my mate and I went to fit the boost gauge today, only to fall at the first hurdle

we removed the standard pillar and went to fit the Nomad one....only to think how on earth does it fit

on the original pillar you have the clips to hold it in, but on the Nomad one, there is nothing, just a completely smooth back

BUT the thing that really confused us was there was one hole at the top of the Nomad pillar and with this we had a screw......very well we thought, but there is nothing to screw the screw into!!:confused:

SO how have you guys fitted yours?

Also when fitting the gauge, the wires are too short, so we went down to Halfords and the only black and red wire we could find was speaker wire.....will this do the same job? as its just for the positive and negative setup, the same as the speaker wire

also on the Autogauge, the tubing for the boost to the gauge is very thick, as my friends is very thin (autometer gauge)...is this right as well? does the thicker piping cause less boost?

HELP:cry:

cordobabrendy

FOOORRREEE!
Aug 24, 2001
belfast
any low med voltage wire will do. The nomad gauge velcros onto the pillar, you should have been sent some with the pillar cover. The gauge piping size doesnt really matter but I found the windscreen wash piping works fine though I used a some fuel piping at the engine end just in case it was ever to melt.

HarveyGTI

any low med voltage wire will do. The nomad gauge velcros onto the pillar, you should have been sent some with the pillar cover. The gauge piping size doesnt really matter but I found the windscreen wash piping works fine though I used a some fuel piping at the engine end just in case it was ever to melt.

nope, no velcro with it at all

should i phone them and ask for it then, as this is part of the pillar?

cordobabrendy

FOOORRREEE!
Aug 24, 2001
belfast
yup id phone them, saying that if you have no luck, its only normal sticky back velcro strips. I glued mine (velcro) on as the normal adhesive wasnt quite holding the pillar on just as firm as I wanted.

HarveyGTI

yup id phone them, saying that if you have no luck, its only normal sticky back velcro strips. I glued mine (velcro) on as the normal adhesive wasnt quite holding the pillar on just as firm as I wanted.

thanks for the help brendy:)

BCM

Keyboard Gangster
Feb 1, 2005
Wishaw, North Lanarkshire
my nomad was same as yours (newer style) no velcro only screw hole, you need to screw it into one of the yellow clips on your car and it doesnt sit perfect, which is why i'm gettin rid of mine! pain in the ass!

Going for a steering column mounted one!

Oh, speaker wire will be fine mate, just not really cheap thin stuff!

and i had to join my vacuum pipe, thin stuff from gauge to under dash then the thicker stuff from egay from under dash to DV.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/5MM-ID-VACUUM...4472436QQihZ019QQcategoryZ72205QQcmdZViewItem

you just order what colour you want once your paying for it!

Last edited:

HarveyGTI

my nomad was same as yours (newer style) no velcro only screw hole, you need to screw it into one of the yellow clips on your car and it doesnt sit perfect, which is why i'm gettin rid of mine! pain in the ass!

Going for a steering column mounted one!

Oh, speaker wire will be fine mate, just not really cheap thin stuff!

and i had to join my vacuum pipe, thin stuff from gauge to under dash then the thicker stuff from egay from under dash to DV.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/5MM-ID-VACUUM...4472436QQihZ019QQcategoryZ72205QQcmdZViewItem

you just order what colour you want once your paying for it!

thanks mate thats good to know

I will phone Nomad and see what they say anyway, thats the only thing me and my mate could see yesterday.....was to screw it into the yellow clip, which just did not look right and would not be stable

so its gunna be a bodge job and velcro it!

thanks for the eboo link, will buy some today, much appreciated mate, and its blue as well, so that will match the blue hoses im getting, sort of!

RikH

Texas Cowboy
Oct 17, 2005
Yorkshire
i know someone on here went to the lengths of removing the clips from the standard pillar and moulding/soldering/welding them onto the nomad one in the right positions

will fit great with that but alot of work and time to do

HarveyGTI

i know someone on here went to the lengths of removing the clips from the standard pillar and moulding/soldering/welding them onto the nomad one in the right positions

will fit great with that but alot of work and time to do

i did consider that, but way to much work when I can do it with velcro sticky bits:D

HarveyGTI

only thing is that horrible big screw hole at the top!

You get a grey little plastic cover that the screw fits in to cover the whole, so i will just stick this on withouth the screw in, so to cover the hole

cordobabrendy

FOOORRREEE!
Aug 24, 2001
belfast
For anyone that didnt know, velcro was the earlier way of securing the pillar mount then along came the screw which In my opinion looks tacky. The velcro when glued on sits totally flush and doesnt vibrate nor feel like its ever going to cvome back off except with a bit of brute force.

HarveyGTI

well i just phoned Nomad, they said the reason they do no supply the velcro strips anymore, is because customers kept phoning up and complaining that that pillar was dropping off due to the "English weather" with it being hot and cold and this causing the strips to come off!

sounds like bullshit to me!

so anyway when you say velcro, do you mean just double sticky thick tape/pads of proper velcro? and where from, B&Q, Homebase?

dmmsta

Sold car - bought bike
Feb 10, 2007
Maidstone - Kent
I screwed mine into the top yellow clip, altho I'm looking at making a more solid clip.

You have to use the large foam sticky pad (from original pillar) and fiddle a little to get it into the right place to support the bottom end of the Nomad.

I'm happy with mine, and I have seen comments about the Velcro solution and it not being great.

Jun 29, 2001
Surrey
so anyway when you say velcro, do you mean just double sticky thick tape/pads of proper velcro? and where from, B&Q, Homebase?

Don't go buying any mate. We use this at work lots, so I'll grab some for you.
I wasn't so sure it would hold it on too well but judging by the response here it will be ok. I'll bring some home with me by the weekend :)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members