*Non-Seat* Project Money Saver... Bora TDI Highline

well i've been on ebay and managed to pick up a new rear diffuser so that i can remove the side exit exhaust finally. the standard exhaust will be getting fitted for the time being til i get the tail piece changed on the stainless backbox to something a bit more 'discreet' ;)

on having a closer look under the car i had a wee look at the 40mm springs that are fitted and well......... they have definitely seen better days....... might need to replace them with something more 'suitable' ;) if your getting where i'm coming from :p

also my replacement gearknob finally arrived to completely rid the interior of the fake wood :D

before:
WP_000075.jpg

after:
WP_000076.jpg

last week i had the car's ecu read at GI Motorsport to see if it was locked as i'm wanting to change the map for something better. the ecu's settings were downloaded and sent to Jabbasport to see what was there to work with. turns out it was just a cheapo "lets just turn the fuelling up but not change the boost" remap, no wonder its like a smoke machine lol. Jabba have turned the boost up to match the fuelling and also told me that along with increased performance i should also see an increase in MPG too :D its now just a question of getting the money together before i get the map changed over.......... happy days :D

Last edited:
small update

got the car back today from GI Motorsport after a wee service and the recitification of the side exit exhaust.
the car is running sweet as a nut, apart from when on the ramps the 2 outer cv gaitors were found to be badly worn with one starting to split :( so they have been ordered, along with an uprated dogbone mount and a green cotton panel filter :)

when i got the car back home i decided to have a look at the rear diffuser and see how to remove it and get the new one fitted on.... bad news tho, the diffuser i have is for a car with no parking sensors :( need to get this changed asap.

this also arrived in the post yesterday ;) (apologise for the bad pictures)

WP_000078.jpg

genuine oettinger front grill and its been painted, so good to go straight on :) so i got fitting

before
WP_000054.jpg

and after
WP_0000782.jpg

hopefully i get the rear diffuser changed quickly so i can get rid of the last remains of the side exit exhaust.

roll on next month when i have funds to bin the cheapo remap for one of the jabbasport variety :)

expensive dude, you can get them with adapters for around that (which you will need adapters)

i'm not gonna pay that for a set trust me. i can get a set of genuine ones in decent nick with tyres for not much more than that but still need adaptors. adaptors are around 100quid for a set. the ones in the link are replicas too....... there is no way i would spend that kinda cash on replica wheels.

these are more up my street but are only 17s so would required a good drop on coilovers. they do come with good tyres tho and are genuine ones

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/mercedes-genu...s_tyres_Trims_Car_Rims_ET&hash=item3a67c12292

the finish on the centres isn't great but i'd be looking to get them polished up eventually.

Last edited:

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
but still need adaptors. adaptors are around 100quid for a **** set.

Corrected for you, they are actually like £75-80 per pair.

I paid £210 for a set, but worth every single penny, as the FK's thread so easily (like butter), I know from buying a set that were [:@]

Mine came studded, anodized black, and lifetime warranty (even H&R ones can take the helicoil out, and no warranty on them).

Just thought i'd let you know, them mercs were well overpriced dude, don't want ya getting scammed :)

Last edited:
the above comment is exactly why i am very glad i'm on a forum like this...... its good to see that there are good guys out there that don't wanna see someone getting their fingers burnt when buying items for their car.

if you don't mind me asking..... where did you get your adaptors from????
i've also been looking at the et that genuine merc wheels have and after adding adaptors to that you are looking at major poke :think:
not sure if the :cop: would like that....... could be a bit of an issue

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
the above comment is exactly why i am very glad i'm on a forum like this...... its good to see that there are good guys out there that don't wanna see someone getting their fingers burnt when buying items for their car.

if you don't mind me asking..... where did you get your adaptors from????
i've also been looking at the et that genuine merc wheels have and after adding adaptors to that you are looking at major poke :think:
not sure if the :cop: would like that....... could be a bit of an issue

No problem dude, always good to help :)

yeah sure, if you add a guy called "Masta Adapter" on facebook, he works for a company in america called "Motech Adapters" they are works of art, all made to specifications, options of different colour anodizing (i liked the subtle black) studded so super strong (as the ones you bolt to the hub, have a tendancy to be over-tightened, so then they bottom out on the hub = cross threading of the bolt holes, then you have to get the hole(s) helicoiled, not that cheap :( )

(drop me a PM, got the guys private email too, he might be able to sort you out if you go direct, he did with me, as I got them with a few mates, so worked out cheaper :D)

its all about fitment, so width, offset (ET) and tyre size.

Bora's can run some wide-ish wheels if the offset is right, can get away with a 8.5J front with ET25 (I had ET20, wish I had 25 though really), and can even get a 10J on the back (porsche normally, as their ET65, so once spaced out, is perfect)

update.....

pics of the new stealth exhaust.

WP_000148.jpg

basically just got the tailpipe chopped off and a new one welded on :)

and now the freshly painted diffuser in gloss black, done by myself :)

WP_000147.jpg

not too bad for using a few rattle cans, also gets rid of the horrible hole left by the side exit exhaust.

also had to rip out the 6disc changer and radio/cassette player as the cd player decided to chuck it :( so i fitted an old cd / dvd player i had laying about

WP_000141.jpg

just need to get a universal din sized pocket for above it.

next on the hit list....... a good cleaning session and possibly a set of coilovers

Dec 18, 2010
Lincolnshire
I like the LM reps mate, however having said that the CMs are nice, as are your RS4s, as were the wheels that were on the car as standard!

Nice motor though.

bil44

Aug 13, 2011
I prefer the original wheels in black on it gives it the subtle but stealth look(the one that puts a suprised look on your face when your pushing out 200bhp from a family saloon) :)

I prefer the original wheels in black on it gives it the subtle but stealth look(the one that puts a suprised look on your face when your pushing out 200bhp from a family saloon) :)

i'm thinking about having the original wheels powdercoated gloss black as they have only been done with a rattle can by the previous owner.

Looking good mate. Like the LMs but always been a bigger fan of the CHs :)

the CHs would be the ones i would go for, but with funds being tight, new alloys are last on the list of priorities right now.

nothing much to update on, fitted the following;

set of legal metal pressed plates
LED registration plate bulbs (one has blown already but is being replaced under warrenty)
LED interior bulbs
LED glove box bulb
LED boot light bulb

also found out that the bora has the dreaded door seal leak..... on both rear doors!!!! :censored:
think its time to get the roof and gutter sealant out again to do all the doors. it just so happens i have plenty to spare after doing all the doors on my LCR.

oh....... and i have a slow puncture too :censored: but the fronts are about 1mm off needing replaced anyway so not to worry, getting a set of the cheapest tyres that my girlfriends dad can get for me at cost price next week. not too fussed about tyre manufacturer on the sootchucker since all i am doing is motorway miles and with 160odd bhp and 270odd lbsft shreding the fronts i want something thats uber hard wearing.

next will be new discs and pads all round and the dreaded insurance renewal.
one of the plus points when buying the car was that the front discs and pads are like brand new and hardly worn..... but thats ok if the idiot that owned the car before me had bedded them in properly!! the front discs are badly warped.
i knew the car was due rear discs and pads so thats not bothered me, but it wasn't until i had the car around a week and had to do some harsh breaking that i found out the fronts were warped :( after only being fitted to the car for about 3 weeks!!!!!

decided against spending any money changing much on the car now, maybe upgrade the remap and replace the 40mm springs with coilovers but that will only be due to the fact that the springs have seen better days and are quite badly corroded. no plans to change the alloys for now unless something comes up at a very good price. baby items and possibly furnishing a home have became priority.

Not had an update on here in a while.......

Road tax and MOT were due this month :( so stuck 6 months Tax on and got the car in for the dreaded MOT :(

Much to my delight she passed with flying colours :D only required a registration plate bulb at the cost of.......... 50p :)

Last month my 4 year old Sony xplod CD/DVD headunit decided to give up the ghost and not read cds or dvds :( turned out that the unit was overheating for some reason and would stop reading discs.... after being switched off for an hour it would read discs no problem so i decided to bite the bullet and went straight onto the laptop and and ordered myself up a JVC headunit with aux ipod connection, bluetooth and a usb port for the grand total of............ 60quid took 3 days to arrive so i had to make do with the radio til then

Fitted the new headunit and then all that was left was to continue to use the car for my daily commute from the east to west coast for work........ 7.5k has been covered in the last two months with an average mpg of....... 59!

Immediate plans so far........ nothing the little one is due in 3 weeks time so its save save save mode for me.... but with my work transfer to the east coast due in the next week or so i may be looking to sell up in the new year due to no longer requiring a diesel for commuting to work....... so the car will be getting the stock springs and stock backbox stuck back on to help make the car as child frendly as possible (since the ride on the cheap jamex springs and stock dampers is attrotious and the stainless backbox is doing my head in with the droning noise at motorway cruising speeds into work) and more desirable to buyers across the whole car market and get me maximum interest and return on a sale.... then start looking for something petrol, more fun to drive and still has 5 doors and a decent sized boot (cue people telling me i was mad for getting rid of my LCR.... i know :cry: i wish this job had come up sooner :( $hit happens)

that is all people.............

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise