Not another remap thread! After your CR 170 remap – does your turbo kick in sooner?

Cossie-boy

Nov 25, 2012
Hi all

So I have spent quite a while reading the large amount of threads on who is best and what should be done for a CR remap.

Simply, I would like to know if your turbo is coming in lower down RPM that it did before the remap?

Reason, I just exchanged my FR PD 150 for this FR CR 170 and am totally missing the off the mark low down power it had  it is quite possible my MK1 had been remapped but I am seriously at the point of do I try and get mine back from the dealer although I know it had faults or do I try and get a PD140 either MK5 Golf or alike and have that re-mapped so I once again have the punch power that I am totally missing! I didn’t go with a PD 140 FR as know they had DPF issues etc…

Am I mental for saying this? Probably! But I have read people saying they felt disappointed after a CR re-map which has really pi55ed on my fireworks as I thought that may sort it out.

Ok is it not a slow car by any means and I understand linear power then looking at the speedo and realising you are going faster than you realise but I am just not feeling it somehow 

Any answers much appreciated

Cheers

CB

GrahamFR

Now AMG Powered
Dec 10, 2008
Barnsley or Burton
Remap = £££'s

Money spent chopping and changing cars = ££££'s

If you are missing the more rickery feeling of the mk1, then i suggest putting your car on a diet, not only will it improve in every area besides practicality, it will also 'feel' faster too.

Cossie-boy

Nov 25, 2012
Remap = £££'s

Money spent chopping and changing cars = ££££'s

If you are missing the more rickery feeling of the mk1, then i suggest putting your car on a diet, not only will it improve in every area besides practicality, it will also 'feel' faster too.

Yes indeed

Don't understand second paragraph unless your being sarcastic? :blink:

If, the remap would make it feel as fast as my old one and the turbo/power band coming in lower and lasting longer then it would be problem solved, just need to know if it would?

Cheers

CB

Last edited:

GrahamFR

Now AMG Powered
Dec 10, 2008
Barnsley or Burton
No I wasn't being sarcastic cossie, you could strip a few things out to save weight. Carpets, parcel shelf rear seats or just the spare tyre and sound insulation under the bonnet.

Cossie-boy

Nov 25, 2012
No I wasn't being sarcastic cossie, you could strip a few things out to save weight. Carpets, parcel shelf rear seats or just the spare tyre and sound insulation under the bonnet.

Ok sorry mate, im just totally stressing about this now as probably wish I hadn't changed :(

Ive just been out in a Golf GT TDi PD140 and the power band seems to be about 2200-4500 but you feel it more. My original Leon pulled HARD from about 1250 I think all the way into the red, which from my previous experience denotes its been re-mapped/opened up/allowed to live, lol
I don't think there is anything wrong with this CR but even when I wind it up its not putting me back in the seat like my other one used too :cry:

Unit, im down South :( but if you are able to tell me when you turbo is coming to life it could help me a bit?

The car is specced to fook which makes it lush so when im looking at 08 plate Golf GT TDis there are somewhat lacking.

My other option was an Alfa Guiletta but ive never even sat or been in one

#sigh

Cheers for replies

CB

CharlySkunkweed

Aug 10, 2014
Northern Ireland
Just a thought , but my impreza (before my leon) used to push me into the seat when the turbo kicked in. Then I got it remapped and altough it was definitely quicker the turbo spool was more progressive so I lost that surge. Took a bit of getting used to just. Maybe get it mapped to suit what you want (not sure if that's possible)

Cossie-boy

Nov 25, 2012
Interesting Charly n cheers

This could potentially solve my issue, can tuners actually manipulate the power band? In the past I've had 3 remaps by the same person but was a generic although did the trick.

Ideally it would be good to know before I spend money what the cars feel like after a remap from owners?

Last edited:

Shayz

May 31, 2012
Too far from me mate other wise I would of offered a spin. I'm London based

Cossie-boy

Nov 25, 2012
Ok so now after nearly three weeks off driving the new one I am getting to know it a bit more.

Still deffo not as fast as my MK1 but one thing I noticed is its not as happy in traffic either.

Using doing 30mpg in my MK1 it was fine in 4th and maybe even 5th., but the CR doesn't seem to like 4th that much!

Did anyone re-map make it happier around town as well?

Cossie-boy

Nov 25, 2012
Thanks mate

So I have some news...

I noticed the car making a kinda top end, tappety, diesel rattly noise under load. For example 30mph in 4th and put your foot down and also 5th and 6th when changing. It almost sounds like years ago on petrol cars when they made a pinking noise if running on unleaded or timing was slight out.

Today I went and drove to Leon CR170's identical to mine and both are much faster :( I thought the first has been mapped maybe so timed 0-60 and was 8.9 taking into account the stopwatch/weather/me not being used to car probably. Then getting back in mine it deffo feels wrong :( like its waiting to come to life but just doesn't :(

Any ideas? there is no smoke, so fault lights, mpg seems good now and starts fine. I did search forums but couldn't find anything.

Cheers

CB

GrahamFR

Now AMG Powered
Dec 10, 2008
Barnsley or Burton
Thanks mate

So I have some news...

I noticed the car making a kinda top end, tappety, diesel rattly noise under load. For example 30mph in 4th and put your foot down and also 5th and 6th when changing. It almost sounds like years ago on petrol cars when they made a pinking noise if running on unleaded or timing was slight out.

Today I went and drove to Leon CR170's identical to mine and both are much faster :( I thought the first has been mapped maybe so timed 0-60 and was 8.9 taking into account the stopwatch/weather/me not being used to car probably. Then getting back in mine it deffo feels wrong :( like its waiting to come to life but just doesn't :(

Any ideas? there is no smoke, so fault lights, mpg seems good now and starts fine. I did search forums but couldn't find anything.

Cheers

CB

stick it on a dyno

Cossie-boy

Nov 25, 2012
Cheers, its just had one when I bought it along with cambelt and water pump :/ and has FSH

I noticed this morning I didn't do it at all until I was in 6th about 80ish and had to let off then accelerate again

When you say dyno is that like VAGCOM?

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members