Notchy manual gearbox in 03 V5 170

v5er

Feb 18, 2007
Lancs.
Hi, I'm a newbie to this forum.
I recently bought this car and its fabulous apart from a notchy gearchange from 2nd to 3rd. Its just not smooth and means rapid gear changes aren't possible..

Has anyone else had this problem? If so how did you get it fixed?

Cheers,

Ram

thesonny

UNV This
Nov 20, 2006
i also have this problem between 2nd and 3rd especially. i could be that when you try to change quickly you don't depress the clutch fully as they as f-ing long! or try the oil like silver surfer said. though is that not a bitch of a job?

v5er

Feb 18, 2007
Lancs.
Pushing the clutch harder works and is ok for the moment. I'll will switch to a higher grade engine oil as per schedule. I can see 4 new tyres being needed soon too!!! Any tyre preferences? My car came with the standard 16" Pirelli p6000's.

Last edited:

StuC

F1 Smart?
Jan 14, 2006
Rugby
I had the P6000's on mine when I bought it, I didn't like they feel of them.

So I changed them for a set of 'Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3', I was well happy with these and they are still going strong (15K later)!! :D

I think mine were just a shade under £75 a corner, so not too expensive either.

Deleted member 5241

Tyres? Give Kumho Escta KU31's a shot, well recommended and a good price.

v5er

Feb 18, 2007
Lancs.
Cheers guys - I suspected there might be a huge variation on tyre recommendations. However I am not surprised you changed from the p6000's.
I would probably go for the KU31's from those 2. Better value.

Mowgli interesting avatar photo. Do you like enjoy liver with fava beans accompanied by a nice Chianti?

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members