o2m shim?

peck10

Aug 6, 2013
Ok cheers for that mate really helpful. Seeing all the guides people posted on this forum and the VW forum made it look so quick and easy to get to the black cover but it actually sounds a bit of a pain to get past the arch liners. I think I might put this job off for a while now untill I have more time on my hands

ben450

Feb 17, 2012
London
Someone said it took them 30 mins not sure about that unless they had an F1 pit crew lol. I was having trouble getting the Circlip out aswell was trying to use 2 flat head screwdrivers but then looked down and saw the special pliers on the floor not quite sure who put them there but I used them and it came out lol. Had no play at all after fitting shim well happy with it.

ben450

Feb 17, 2012
London
Circlip was a faff. Used a steel spike and a narrow (3mm) bladed screwdriver to get it out, after several attempts.

Least I wasn't the only one bit of a faff getting it to lock back in but nice when it finally did lol

sockpuppet

Apr 30, 2007
Took me about 30 - 45 minutes and most of that was jacking the car up, getting the tools and moving the plastic wheel arch cover. I remember thinking that I must have missed something as it was such an easy job.
I could see it being awkward getting the circlip out without the right tools, I had a couple of pointed tools a bit like the thing a dentist uses to poke your teeth and that made the job very easy.

ben450

Feb 17, 2012
London
Took me about 30 - 45 minutes and most of that was jacking the car up, getting the tools and moving the plastic wheel arch cover. I remember thinking that I must have missed something as it was such an easy job.
I could see it being awkward getting the circlip out without the right tools, I had a couple of pointed tools a bit like the thing a dentist uses to poke your teeth and that made the job very easy.

The Circlip was the akward bit until I found the proper pair of pliers and it popped out.

jonathanp

Jan 5, 2005
Coventry
Took less than 20 mins but I didn't have to remove the wheel arch liner or jack the car up. Just put it on full lock to give me access to the cap.

Anybody else have any oil come out? wasn't much maybe just as much the cap would hold.

ben450

Feb 17, 2012
London
Took less than 20 mins but I didn't have to remove the wheel arch liner or jack the car up. Just put it on full lock to give me access to the cap.

Anybody else have any oil come out? wasn't much maybe just as much the cap would hold.

Yeah a little bit mate

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
Has anybody who has done this measured the thickness of the shim.
My input shaft has about 3-4mm play in and out but I have the box out and will strip but wondered how thick they are come reassembly time

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
Excellent, called into audi on my way home to order them
Time to split the box now and check the rest of the damage

zig

Dec 1, 2011
Hi folks looking at am 04 plate Cupra on Tuesday, it's got a 3rd gear whine... Will thus fix it?

Rickycupra

Dec 31, 2012
Yeovil
I believe this mod fix's the whine and the excessive play in the shaft.

Not sure if i have the correct box for this mod, and i hate 3rd to 4th gear change due to the box's sloppy positioning.

tchallenger

Feb 20, 2014
Hi folks looking at am 04 plate Cupra on Tuesday, it's got a 3rd gear whine... Will thus fix it?

Should do, I had an 04 lcr which wined in 3rd and crunched when going into 3 from higher up the box, i would check to make sure it doesn't make a noise in 6th as otherwise there's a chance its something more, and make sure you have the plastic cap on the gear box ! Can see it though the arch liner on full lock, But took me 40 mins and 6,000 miles later it still feels like a new box and car !

Scorponok

Sep 13, 2013
DEVONSHIRE
I just brought a LCR 04 the seller knocked off quite a bit as the gearbox was whining in a few gears. I stumbled across this thread so thought I try this instead of a recon box. Well very easy to do and worked perfectly thank you for sharing this information :funk:

Last edited:

emma-x-

Just brought an 04 LCR and have the exact same problem from what I'm reading. Whine in 1st - 4th only coming down gear or deceleration. Should this solve my problem? Going to ask a friend to try it for me as I'm not very confident trying that myself lol!

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise