o2m shim?

Haze

Oct 21, 2014
Well I hope the shim cures it, I have a whiney/ grind downwards from 3rd . I would say more of a grind sounds like bearing hitting casing I just dont know wither the shim will fix mine!

Sam_Thulborn

Sep 11, 2014
www.facebook.com
Shim is in, I didn't start it until yesterday at about 11 am yesterday, all went well and the car was back down within about 20 mins, took it out for a drive, gears feel a lot tighter and selection when cold isn't as brutal lol, whining is gone whilst engine braking, until you pop it in reverse but that's to be expected, really pleased with the result and would recommend it to anyone! Cheers guys!

Sam_Thulborn

Sep 11, 2014
www.facebook.com
Hi guys, need some advice,
After putting the new shim in I discovered today that my car now grinds when I'm in 1st under engine braking, when I put the new cap on it didn't quite sit flush with the casing, making me think that maybe at 46000 miles my car didn't need the shim and I have now forced the bearing to sit tighter than it should? Am I correct? If someone could shed some light it would be appreciated :/

Leeboy22001

Jun 19, 2002
Portsmouth
Visit site
When you mean not flush, as in recessed or sticking out a bit ?.. I found my c clip was a tight fit, and needed a screwdriver to press down on it all over for it to slot I to place, not had any problems so far, my car is in 95k

Sam_Thulborn

Sep 11, 2014
www.facebook.com
It was sticking out about the thickness of the shim washer, I have took it out and waiting for the new cap and gearbox oil, I'm pretty adamant that this caused the problem as the circlip was slightly scored along with the shim washer :/ another quickie, I found a 6 speed 02m gearbox off a vw, would that fit my Cupra r?

Sam_Thulborn

Sep 11, 2014
www.facebook.com
Hi guys, popped the cap back on, no more grinding, changing the box oil at the weekend, when I took my under tray off I found a rubber bung with a small grab handle on it, it had come off the top of the gearbox, I have had it 3 months so it could have come off 3 month ago or 3 weeks ago, is that rubber bung the fill point on the gearbox? Because I have seen people take the m16 lug out the front to fill from, just like the one on the bottom, could this be why my box sounded so loud? Because there was a ****ing hole in it? ill try add a picture of the bung, thanks in advance guys
d927ad6dceaa63ce7a66b1ab0cdb99ef.jpg
[/IMG]

matt_s

4 8 15 16 23 42
Dec 23, 2004
The bung is from the inspection hole where you can see the flywheel. Don't put oil in the hole.

Sam_Thulborn

Sep 11, 2014
www.facebook.com
Ah that answers that one, cheers mate, just got the fun part of trying to crack the fill on the gearbox now i got a m16 bit off eBay so hopefully won't be too difficult, thanks again guys

Haze

Oct 21, 2014
Due to not having the tools or space to do this at the moment I put a little guide together from the VW o2m shim post to take down my local garage so as they could do it whilst doing other things. Thought I'd share it maybe someone somewhere might find it useful.

o2mshim%201_zps6pjkhzfo.jpg
o2m%20shim%202_zps3c3atqhq.jpg

o2m%20shim3_zpsygig7vym.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E75I24cGxQY

Haze

Oct 21, 2014
I'm having a couple things done including re fitting the under tray, they said an hours labour so 50 quid all in all.

Haze

Oct 21, 2014
The o2m shim is done and my grinding/ whining noise seems to have dissapeared. I thought mine sounded more lake a rattle grind like a bearing hitting the case but I thought I'd better tick the boxes and do the shim first and it got rid of it, so must have jut been play in the shaft.

mattyholmz89

Feb 8, 2011
Huddersfield
Mine only whines when decelerating in 1st so I stopped doing that =)... also its just started to make a whining noise in third from around 2000rpm upto 3000rpm after that I think it's lost to engine noise... gonna be buying this and having a go at some point...