Odd clutch action

bigjode

Feb 25, 2006
On cold mornings, my clutch only returns halfway up to its normal point, and then may "pop" the rest of the way up a few secs later.

Once wram though, it doesn't do it.

When I say half way up, it goes past the point of "full bite" (so the gears are fully engaged when I lift my foot off), but it is quite irritating to have the pedal sit an inch or two away from where I expect it.

2 questions:

1. should there be an inch or two of travel before the gears disengage,

and 2.what could be causing the restricted return travel when its cold?

Cheers :confused:

Reg

Professional Detailer
Oct 10, 2005
Berkshire
There should be some travel before the biting point, certainly. I'm wondering if the clutch slave cylinder is on its way out to be causing the restriction. Its not something I've heard of before. Has it been getting gradually worse, or was it fine one day then just started doing it suddenly?

Mitchy

TTRS
Oct 12, 2004
This may sound really stupid, but so far 2 people on here have had this happen to them and not realised.

Make sure your carpet mat is not getting in the way of the full movement of the clutch pedal. If the carpet mat is fouling even a little bit, it can cause your clutch to react like this!

Take your mat out and go for a drive, if it happens again at least you can then rule this out!

bigjode

Feb 25, 2006
Thanks. I'll try it. Its not stupid, i've seen it before with the accelerator!

bigjode

Feb 25, 2006
Its totally dead now!

push in the clutch and it just stays pushed in, I have to physically pull it back out again!

How do i tell if its the little cylinder on the pedal, or the big one on the box?

bigjode

Feb 25, 2006
Sounds like your clutch slave cylinders gone.

Its in the garage now, mechanic says it looks like the master cylinder. He worked on the car when the prev. owner had it and they changed the slave one then, although it was changed for a second hand part he says.

Anyway, he's having a look at the 'box on monday as he says there looks like there is a leak!

I'll have to just wait and see. :confused: