OE Armrest stuck in the upright position

v-g

is an alien.
Mar 10, 2004
Nowhere near, i.e. Norway.
I did know my armrest was not as good as new any more, but had no idea it would be stuck in the upright position.

Any one know how to attack this problem? The usual way doesn't work, the "button" doesn't seem to get hold of what it should in there...

marv_n69

Standard'ish Cupra R 225
Jul 30, 2009
Mine does the same thing so i tend to keep it in the downward position. I found if i wrestle with it for a while it normally sorts it out, granted its not the best way to do it but its the only way and one day it will fail completely :D:D:D:D:D

How much are new arm rests for the Cupra R's and are they easy to fit?

ianv5

Not sure how much new ones are but vw Golf ones fit I have one in my Cupra Tdi out of my old Golf V5!

Aug 2, 2009
North Lincs
It can be released as i had the same problem when i first bought my LCR, but i'm not 100% sure how it was done!

Pop off the plastic cover on the bottom of the arm rest, near to the handbrake. And IIRC we took out the ashtray from the back. After a bit of fiddling about with screw drivers the arm rest was realeased.

Sorry for the poor instructions! :D

v-g

is an alien.
Mar 10, 2004
Nowhere near, i.e. Norway.
It can be released as i had the same problem when i first bought my LCR, but i'm not 100% sure how it was done!

Pop off the plastic cover on the bottom of the arm rest, near to the handbrake. And IIRC we took out the ashtray from the back. After a bit of fiddling about with screw drivers the arm rest was realeased.

Sorry for the poor instructions! :D

That sounds very much like the way to remove the whole armrest from the car. :confused:

However, there's some round covers near the base, I'm going to attack them tomorrow.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.