Oil Catch Can fitted - EGR Valve Gasket

Well finally got the Oil Catch can fitted to the Altea just before the heavens opened up, so I dont have any pics with it fitted as yet. Tomorrow is supposed to be a dry day so i'll get some pics done then. also got something else fitted to the engine bay..... more to follow.

Anyhow here are some pics of the Oil Catch Can. it is made by http://www.saikoumichi.com the quality of these is VERY good.

I seen this a while back but when I seen it fitted to RobDons Leon well I had to have one!

more info can be found here

http://www.saikoumichi.com/951_page.htm -superceded to: http://www.saikoumichi.com/s3_oil_catch_can.html

IMG_0279.JPG

IMG_0284.JPG

IMG_0286.JPG

IMG_0288.JPG

Last edited:

cheshire cat

Dec 28, 2002
cheshire
Visit site
looks good if a little pricey, I would have hoped it relied on centrifugal force but is apparently has a gause. I assume it is not able to be opened up which begs the question will it fill with mayonase /gunk and how do you clean it out, condensing oil mist is fine in theory but also condenses moisture keep us posted

Cleaning it, Kerosine is usually the best to clean out any oily parts. there is a ton of 2.0ltr TDI Alteas, Leons and Toledo reported to have oil in the FMIC I prefer preventative action now before its too late.

It maybe pricey but saves a ton of work trying to clean out the FMIC or an oily EGR valve.

Last edited:

chrisash32

Altea Driver
Oct 17, 2007
that is some OEM look you have there!! Love it!!

What do you guess the total cost was if you dont mind me asking?

that is some OEM look you have there!! Love it!!

What do you guess the total cost was if you dont mind me asking?

OCC 951 was $105 plus 28 shipping. no VAT paid for importing.
Box of 10 Jubilee clips was £3.50
25>19mm 90° Elbow reducer £8
2m of Coolant pipe £10
19mm Metal Hoses joiner. £4

If you shop about you may get the smaller bits cheaper. in the long run I think it is worth it since the OCC 951 is far better than just a can with two holes in it. it does what it is meant to do. it will stop the excessive oil pouring down the intake to the FMIC.

http://www.saikoumichi.com/OCC_explanation.htm

the only other decent OCC i have seen is the Mann ProVent CCV Filter, shown here:

http://www.emotors.ca/articles/128.aspx

I decided for a more free flow occ then the Mann one which may do a better job at stopping the oil vapour but restricts the air flow and filters will need replacing as extra cost.

Last edited:

cheshire cat

Dec 28, 2002
cheshire
Visit site
Cleaning it, Kerosine is usually the best to clean out any oily parts. there is a ton of 2.0ltr TDI Alteas, Leons and Toledo reported to have oil in the FMIC I prefer preventative action now before its too late.

It maybe pricey but saves a ton of work trying to clean out the FMIC or an oily EGR valve.
yes it does help, but will not stop all oil, I made my own a few years ago with a different principle and whist it helps is not a complete cure, mine stops apprrox 20ml/1000miles about the same as the Mann item but may be a little more restrictive, as I said keep us posted, especially toward next spring:)

yes but if I wanted to stop all the oil then I would have vented to air and blocked off the inlet to the Air intake pipe. if I find the inlet pipe is still oily in a few months (like soaking in oil like it was) then I will vent to air.

Last edited:

altea-ego

Dec 7, 2004
OCC 951 was $105 plus 28 shipping. no VAT paid for importing.
Box of 10 Jubilee clips was £3.50
25>19mm 90° Elbow reducer £8
2m of Coolant pipe £10
19mm Metal Hoses joiner. £4

Excellent article, I might do the same. Is this worth doing on its own, or does the EGR valve need to be sorted too?

Where did you get all the extras from? online or motor stores?

just got the pipes etc on ebay. jubilee clips in Halfords, egr valve is a different beast altogether. worth trying to clean it out anyway. if you go for a egr power pipe (straight through pipe and remove the EGR altogether, then you need to have the CEL warning light removed from your ecu. if your car is mapped then thats not really an issue.

Dec 5, 2007
N W Leeds
Mine vents to air. Its stuffed with s/steel pan scourer to aid condensation. Still kicks out fair amount of fumes but mostly this is steam vapor (checked with paper to vent). Still a bit disconcerting when strong sunlight catches it creeping from under bonnet.

altea-ego

Dec 7, 2004
Reading this article i posted

The PCV system consists of: 1) The breather tube , and 2) The PCV valve. The breather
tube connects the crankcase to a clean source of fresh air, such as the air cleaner body.
Usually, clean air from the air cleaner flows in to this tube and in to the engine ....
Once inside the engine, the air circulates around the interior of the engine, picking up and
clearing away combustion byproduct gases, including a large amount of water vapor, then
exits through a simple baffle, screen or mesh to trap oil droplets before being drawn out
through the PCV valve

and looking back at your pictures, have you actually fitted the catch can to the breather tube rather than the exit tube with the PCV valve in it?