Oil Catch Tank..Why you need one.

james walker

cooling is the key people
May 24, 2007
retford notts
will do later , cheers

im going to be a PITA now but how much do i need , (il be butting it where the airbox was ) but how many t pieces & bends also what materials are the bends plastic / metal
(cant get ebay in work see )

cheers

2 metres of 19mm will be enough, 1 19mm t-piece, 1 19mm l shaped connector, or joiner

then jubilee clamps to suit..

easy as mate, all available fromt he bay, just make sure you order oil hose:D

greesha

Leon 1.8T on steroids
Jan 6, 2009
Slough
I must say that I'm very happy after the fittment of catch tank. I have removed all the rubbish breather pipes under the inlet manifold and there must have been something wrong about them because car feels great now. Very responsive, feels very healthy. Even my DV has a different noise now - a more powerfull one - that means there was a leak somewhere down there.

Im confused about how quick that catch tank should fill up. James said that his catch tank was 1/3 full after 2 weeks. Mine is about 10 days old and i cant see it filling up. I have a toyosport catch can and it has this small tube on it that shows you deposit levels inside. I can see it is working because that tube is not clear anymore but a bit brownish so some oil resudues are getting there. Also i remember that Phillc has emptied his catch tank after 6 months and it wasn't even 1/5 filled up.

It is car dependand i guess but i just hope everything is fitted fine.

DannyC87

Rubbing is Racing :-)
Mar 4, 2008
Are you venting to atmosphere or going back into the intake? Did you add anything to baffle your toyosports can?

I have the same can set up with a roadpipe to vent to atmosphere - mine fills up pretty slowly set up like this (no baffling material) as I imagine a fair amount of oil vapour is venting out of the roadpipe..

greesha

Leon 1.8T on steroids
Jan 6, 2009
Slough
I dont have any baffling inside it. Pipe of filter housing joins with pipe off rocker cover and they go to catch tank. Second outlet of catch tank goes back to tip.

Anyone has any pictures how does the baffling inside the catch tank look like? To be honest im not entirely sure how to add it.

15042010016.jpg

Dont laugh at that bolt sticking out of the brake booster line :D. It IS gone now :D

EDIT: Oh and Phillc no comments about the state of my engine bay ^^

Last edited:

DannyC87

Rubbing is Racing :-)
Mar 4, 2008
I dont have any baffling inside it. Pipe of filter housing joins with pipe off rocker cover and they go to catch tank. Second outlet of catch tank goes back to tip.

Anyone has any pictures how does the baffling inside the catch tank look like? To be honest im not entirely sure how to add it.

15042010016.jpg

Dont laugh at that bolt sticking out of the brake booster line :D. It IS gone now :D

People talk about stuffing wire wool etc in their cans to slow the flow of vapour sufficiently to allow better separation. Personally I don't want any crud getting back to my TIP so I just run it to the floor and have blocked off the TIP port.

Phillc

Love is....Yellow
Apr 23, 2007
Pershore, worcestershire

15042010016.jpg

I wasn't going to say anything about it neading a clean :p

Here's my "home made" tank vented to air, only notice smell if she's had a kickin and I'm sat at traffic or slow movin.
tankfit4.jpg

Loony, This is a slightly different configuration of setting it up does it work ok? can i use the same setup with a non vented tank? It looks far less complicated than some i have seen, tbh im still trying to get my head around how to plumb the correct way because everyone seems to do it differently can never find conclusive and foolproof way?

Jun 4, 2007
Aberdeen
The vented seup needs to be vented away so that these fumes arent pulled into the inside of the car.

Some peopl using vented systems have run longer breather hoses down the bottom of the engine bay.

Im unsure of what way i will be doing mine as of yet

adm013

Mar 4, 2008
Edinburgh
Hi there,

Aside form the environmental factors would it be better to have the hose (vent) from the "clean" side of the catch can going to the atmosphere instead of back into the TIP as the oily air mix wouldn't be the best for the combustion process. I know the differences might not be noticeable, but in theory does this make sense? And the vent would obviously have to located away from cabin spaces for health reasons.

Andy

Phillc

Love is....Yellow
Apr 23, 2007
Pershore, worcestershire
The whole point of the catch tank is to capture the oily vapours, so as long as you fit a good baffled catch tank all that will be going in to the tip are the fumes, the pull from the air flow going through the tip also aids the efficiency of the whole breather set up , which you loose when venting to atmosphere, since fitting my baffled catch tank i have had no oil residue in my pipe work and i vent back to the tip as you can see from my pic.

4658684465_b978b51621_b.jpg

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.