Oil Catch Tank..Why you need one.

DannyC87

Rubbing is Racing :-)
Mar 4, 2008
It is just behind my nearside front wheel arch, cable tied to the subframe mounts. No real fume issues, occasionally get a whiff of oil in traffic.

Murdered LCR

Wide mouthed mofo
Sep 9, 2006
Murder Inc.
If I have one going from the can to the tip is that ok ? Or I'd it better to vent it to the road ? What filter should I stick on the end of it

DannyC87

Mar 4, 2008
If I have one going from the can to the tip is that ok ? Or I'd it better to vent it to the road ? What filter should I stick on the end of it

up to you. I personally didn't want any cack going back through the turbo. Mine doesn't have a filter on it.

DannyC87

Mar 4, 2008
That's the same reason I don't want it back in the TIP.
Danny, what did you block the TIP with? A bolt? Bung? Clamped it?

wait for it......

An old spark plug! lol
It is all I had to hand at the time! A 19mm bung would be the pro way to do it!

DannyC87

Mar 4, 2008
You wont get any going back through danny thats what the catch tanks for ;)

as Ape says they are not 100% efficient.. If I stick my head under the car and rev it, a fair amount of oil vapour comes out of the road pipe...

Phillc

Love is....Yellow
Apr 23, 2007
Pershore, worcestershire
as Ape says they are not 100% efficient.. If I stick my head under the car and rev it, a fair amount of oil vapour comes out of the road pipe...

Since i had the baffled catch tank fitted and with the return going to the tip i have had no oil in any of my pipes, also when venting to the tip you keep the pressure in the crank which you loose venting to atmosphere.

Ape

-----Hairy Hoonigan-----
Since i had the baffled catch tank fitted and with the return going to the tip i have had no oil in any of my pipes, also when venting to the tip you keep the pressure in the crank which you loose venting to atmosphere.

What is the crank pressure used for? Oil Seals etc?

I guess you could make your own baffles for a non baffled tank as well?

Last edited:

DannyC87

Mar 4, 2008
What is the crank pressure used for? Oil Seals etc?

I guess you could make your own baffles for a non baffled tank as well?

It maintains suction at idle to ensure breathers are kept free. Mine puts out a nice stream of vapour at idle so breathers definitely arent clogged.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members