Oil change and power?

jamiebennett81

Well I finally got the oil change done this Saturday, and I dont know if its me, but the car just drives so much better

Unfortunately it has been a case of topping her up every once in a while (just couldnt afford a decent service last year due to my job and having no money:()

Now I only thought that doing an oil change on highly powered race cars i.e. race specced cars gave back some of the lost BHP, but would it be possible to apply this to our level of cars?

I know from playing Gran Turismo it use to give back some bhp:cartman:

The car is definitely running better, smoother, and just feels a little more back to her old form

Am I imagining things or has anyone else experienced this on their tuned Leon?

Aug 24, 2007
the car will be happier for sure Tony, less friction can only be a good thing for an engine :)

Mine gets 3 or 4 changes every year.

andycupra

status subject to change
i do about 8000 miles a year is it worth doing more than 1 change a year?

actually there is an arguement for doing more changes for people that do frequent short journies over longer drives with more mileage.

So it depends how the 8000 miles is made up... if its loads of short journies from cold then perhaps.
If its less frequent drives with more miles then dont worry.

oh and for the original thread topic, unless the oil was very significantly over the interval i think you are imagining extra power.
However changing oil is not something you should put off... you say you couldnt afford a service, but you could take an hour of your time, with £25 for oil and filter and do a change...

leon cupra r

Back in an LCR!
Nov 10, 2009
Barnsley
changed mine the other day and I noticed it runs a lot sweeter now, smoother on tickover, smoother power delivery, just generally seems happier and perkier all round!

andycupra

status subject to change
mmm... well ive never seen any difference when changing oil, however i do tend to change the oil regularly.

If i was changing oil and could see a difference id be thinking i need to change the oil more often as its clearly not lasting the interval.

gezmeister

I need a derv!!
Apr 1, 2008
Norwich
mmm... well ive never seen any difference when changing oil, however i do tend to change the oil regularly.

If i was changing oil and could see a difference id be thinking i need to change the oil more often as its clearly not lasting the interval.

Agreed

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
I used to change the oil in my Glanza every 3000mi (and only did about 8k a year too!) didn't seem so much of a hassle back then with a driveway and garage!

I was changing my oil every 6,000 miles. I'e benn using Millers since first service, now 102,000 miles. As i've been using Millers i've been getting them to saple my used oil for engine wear/blow by etc. After 6,000 miles my engine oil was in tip top condition and could have done 10,000 miles more.
Search for oil analysis in this section if you interested in this. I'm about to do the next oil change soon which has done 3 track days and 1 1/4 mile strip day with 10,000 road miles so we'll see how it has performed

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members