oil consumption fix possibility?

Mar 13, 2010
I may end up writing to them, as its not just me thats concerned it half the customers who have this engine in there car, i mean its strange as i dont see many Fr's with the same issue, so maybe its the 180 varient that has the majority of problems.

emerycloth

Dec 12, 2010
Notts
Is this a Cupra problem or does it extend to the 1.4TSI FR? Am thinking of selling my Leon FR TDI due to DPF issues and don't want to end up going from one issue to another! Car I've test driven is a 59 plate FR with 37k on it.

Grateful for any views.

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Is this a Cupra problem or does it extend to the 1.4TSI FR? Am thinking of selling my Leon FR TDI due to DPF issues and don't want to end up going from one issue to another! Car I've test driven is a 59 plate FR with 37k on it.

Grateful for any views.

Personally I would get a remap and DPF delete on your Leon TDi

I would not at this time risk taking on any of the 1.4TSI motors.

emerycloth

Dec 12, 2010
Notts
Thanks Deano, good advice. Certainly considering the DPF delete route provided I can be sure emissions don't start being a problem MOT wise. The Ibiza FR was good to drive, but I think because I've been in diesels for so long, it really felt like I was revving the nuts off it! Quick car though.

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Thanks Deano, good advice. Certainly considering the DPF delete route provided I can be sure emissions don't start being a problem MOT wise. The Ibiza FR was good to drive, but I think because I've been in diesels for so long, it really felt like I was revving the nuts off it! Quick car though.

On the Ibiza FR CR2.0TDi P Torque were quoting 0.7 emissions after a DPF delete - the MOT limit is 1.5 so I think your safe with a DPF delete.

p16uly

In reply Copey - it's not the Cupar/180 bhp engine that has trouble. I had until last Friday a 2010 FR . In just over 24 months of ownership it went through three (3) brand new engines all replaced under warranty, x2 new turbo's and endless dsg software updates ! This year alone it was in with SEAT approx 3 months, trips to and from the garage + 5w30 castrol costs = part exchange for a car that works, ASAP .
Glad to be rid off Seat. Customer service is shocking to say the least , after this nightmare I would never entertain SEAT again . Avoid the 1.4 tsi = receipt for disaster !

Aaron_Cupra

Aug 10, 2012
Solihull, Birmingham
YES! Hard driving! I do alot of motorway driving with lots of speed cameras around, my trips are generally 250 milei economy drives or driving the baby to nursery through town. Not much scope for driving hard. Probably why ive got to 45k without a new engine yet.

High rpm is my advice

Fair enough, but what's the point in having 180bhp and it being twin charged if you can't use it? I'm having the oil consumption problem with mine, and I'm really worried. Might sell up, as warranty has gone, and I don't wanna wait til the turbo or engine goes. This whole experience is really putting me off seat altogether..

Seanyt

Oct 18, 2010
Bracknell
After having the breather pipe fitted, can safely say that it has made bugger all difference. Just done the 1000 mile test like before and it has used the entire amount again! Looks like mine will be going back

mardon

Feel the DIFFerence
Sep 22, 2008
A bean bag
Well thats a worry.
Thing is the breather pipe will probably help on engines which haven't been damaged but if the piston rings are already on the way out they will leak oil no matter how cool it is. Too little too late probably.

IbizaTDI08

Aug 7, 2008
Reading through all of this I am really glad I got rid of the Cupra when I did.

Seems things go from bad to worse with them.

brokendown

Breather mod made no difference

Engine rebuilt on my Boc at the start of the year, breather mod fitted a couple of months ago and both have been a total waste of time. New engine now fitted - 3rd time lucky??

Aug 3, 2011
IMG_20121121_180704.jpg

Mines use 5l in 12k so not excessive in seats eyes but my dealer is doing the consumption test for me anyway.

I checked it last night It was done today. Not sure though I think its overfilled. What do we think?

Thanks

Apr 13, 2011
hull
I think I have figured out the 1.4 tfsi engine faults I think they made it a 2 stroke engine by merstake lmao :p It's such a shame I really wanted a mk5 Cupra but I think I will stick with my mk4 untill they fix this problum

matthab

Jun 16, 2010
West Midlands
IMG_20121121_180704.jpg

Mines use 5l in 12k so not excessive in seats eyes but my dealer is doing the consumption test for me anyway.

I checked it last night It was done today. Not sure though I think its overfilled. What do we think?

Thanks

It doesnt look to far if anything. Its filled to the top of the tab bit. Just looks like the orange bit is covered in oil from going up and down the dip stick tube.

Mine looks the same.

Aug 3, 2011
Fair enough then, thats after me clearing the dipstick and putting it in again.

Its a common problem for sure even though the forums compound the issue.

Aug 3, 2011
Did you get them to refill it? I'd say its over. anything over the hatched markings the manual states not to start the car.

Jay

p16uly

Did you get them to refill it? I'd say its over. anything over the hatched markings the manual states not to start the car.

Jay

It probably is over filled in the hope that the excess is used before it makes an impact on the "normal" levels ! Watch for oil dripping from the exhaust / heavy soot deposits common on overfills .

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.