oil consumption on the 1.4 leon

lalli_d1

how much should the 1.4 engine in the leon use. my grandads uses 1 FULL LITRE ever 500 MILES, which me and my uncle think its a bit exessive. when my uncle had it hed check the oil level in farnbourgh, it would be in the maxinum mark and when he got to my grandads house in leeds it would be on minimum. the car has done its since day one when my uncle bought it in 2000 and its now got close to 115,000 miles on its back. the last 4 services iv done iv put thicker (15w40) oil in it and it has slowed down but its still using oil. there is NO blue smoke comming from the exhaust, there are no leaks that i can see arround the engine bay, on top or under the car and it goes like a train!

Last edited by a moderator:

turbin

how much should the 1.4 engine in the leon use. my grandads uses 1 FULL LITRE ever 500 MILES, which me and my uncle think its a bit exessive. when my uncle had it hed check the oil level in farnbourgh, it would be in the maxinum mark and when he got to my grandads house in leeds it would be on minimum. the car has done its since day one when my uncle bought it in 2000 and its now got close to 115,000 miles on its back. the last 4 services iv done iv put thicker (15w40) oil in it and it has slowed down but its still using oil. there is NO blue smoke comming from the exhaust, there are no leaks that i can see arround the engine bay, on top or under the car and it goes like a train!

only use the manufacturers recommended oil.

lalli_d1

only use the manufacturers recommended oil.

it had a full seat service history up till 4 years ago when i started doing it. the dealer where my uncle took it (farnham) didnt know why it was using oil and JCT600 in leeds were "useless" in my uncles words! iv been using castrol 15w40
which oil would you recommend?

turbin

it had a full seat service history up till 4 years ago when i started doing it. the dealer where my uncle took it (farnham) didnt know why it was using oil and JCT600 in leeds were "useless" in my uncles words! iv been using castrol 15w40
which oil would you recommend?

pull out the user manual from the glove compartment and have a looksie.

turbin

Leon 1.4 16V 1999-2005. (75HP) (AHW)

Engine: 504.00 - 5W-30.
Gearbox: VW G50 - 75W-90.
Brake/Clutch: DOT 4.
Steering: VW G 002 000.
Cooling: VW G12 TL 774-D.

from somewhere on this site :)

lalli_d1

Leon 1.4 16V 1999-2005. (75HP) (AHW)

Engine: 504.00 - 5W-30.
Gearbox: VW G50 - 75W-90.
Brake/Clutch: DOT 4.
Steering: VW G 002 000.
Cooling: VW G12 TL 774-D.

from somewhere on this site :)

5w30 seams too thin in my mind for a car thats got 115000 miles on it. but that my opinion!

1.9...stefan

HYBRID???
Aug 21, 2008
grimsby
1 litre every 500 miles is a lot...20 litres extra between a service to keep it full... id be a little worried, pressuming that you have taken the under car splash gaurd off to check for leaks???

lalli_d1

1 litre every 500 miles is a lot...20 litres extra between a service to keep it full... id be a little worried, pressuming that you have taken the under car splash gaurd off to check for leaks???

its a full oil change in between services, i know, but it has slowed when i put thicker oil in! my uncle was worried at first, but he just had to live with it! there were no undertrays attatched, i suspect that they dont come with the petrol powered leons or the dealer where it was serviced down south had took the undertrays off.

iandunn1100ss

My 1.4s uses hardly any oil and thats the wrong grade for the car.It does sound like somethings wrong.
ian

lalli_d1

whats the "correct" grade of oil i shoud use? 5w30 or 5w40 is too thin IMO! especialy with the engine that has done over 100K

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.