oil filter location ?

Sep 18, 2009
Shropshire
Can anyone tell me where the oilf ilter is located on my MK1 Leon FR TDI.

Is it to the right of the black engine cover at the front ? if so how do i remove the engine cover ?

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
This isn't your exact engine but the filter is in the same place. Number 9.

enginebay-vac-sol.jpg

Sep 18, 2009
Shropshire
it screws off ;) get plenty of rags/clothes,it can be a bit messy if you are not careful.

i meant the black engine cover just pops off. Yeah can see it screws off....had a quick go at it and its on bloody tight, going to have to try hard to unscrew the filter lid [:@]

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
i meant the black engine cover just pops off. Yeah can see it screws off....had a quick go at it and its on bloody tight, going to have to try hard to unscrew the filter lid [:@]

i had to use a strap wrench on mine is was that tight.

andycupra

status subject to change
am i the only one thats not being filled with confidence about whether you should be doing this.. there is just something about what you are asking and how you describe what you are about to do.

Are you sure you are turning it in the correction direction? (its happened many a time)

its also, good to loosen all before draining.. but too late now :)

can you post a pic of the filter as some offer ways to remove then using conventional tools

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2009
Shropshire
am i the only one thats not being filled with confidence about whether you should be doing this.. there is just something about what you are asking and how you describe what you are about to do.

Are you sure you are turning it in the correction direction? (its happened many a time)

its also, good to loosen all before draining.. but too late now :)

can you post a pic of the filter as some offer ways to remove then using conventional tools

dont matter now, all sorted. Got a tool from halfords to remove to the filter lid. New filter and oil in and running fine.

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks

There's a pic of the filter housing already posted in this thread. The housing is just the same regardless of the differing engine, but is completely different to the spin on filter you most likely have on your engine, insofar as the plastic top screws off the metal housing, the old filter cartridge lifts out, and the new filter cartridge drops back in it's place.

Many people have been foxed by the removal of the TDI filter housing lid. On another forum a helpful petrol owner advocated hammering a screwdriver through the filter and using that as a means to unscrew it. Quite how that would work is a mystery to me, but we all had a laugh at his expense anyway. :funk:

Sep 18, 2009
Shropshire
On another forum a helpful petrol owner advocated hammering a screwdriver through the filter and using that as a means to unscrew it. Quite how that would work is a mystery to me, but we all had a laugh at his expense anyway. :funk:

he must be talking about the metal canister type filters not paper type.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.