Oil Problem on FR130 tdi 2006

FR06BlackMagic

I have an FR130 tdi 2006 - whilst on holiday the spanner symbol came up on the dashboard with the word "oil" next to it. When i reached my destination - i put the small amount of oil i cary round in my boot in the engine (500ml?) hoping this would top it up sufficiently to get me home. The spanner symbol didnt go away and i have allowed the car to cool completely overnight and checked the dipstick level this morning and it appears to be 3-4mm overfull. I dont want to do any dmage to the car but cannot understand why it would say "oil" if the level was ok - also i guess i should reduce the level of oil back to the maximum mark - any help suggestions greatly appreciated. Is this better to go back to dealer and not drive it?

Thanks
:)

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
I have an FR130 tdi 2006 - whilst on holiday the spanner symbol came up on the dashboard with the word "oil" next to it. When i reached my destination - i put the small amount of oil i cary round in my boot in the engine (500ml?) hoping this would top it up sufficiently to get me home. The spanner symbol didnt go away and i have allowed the car to cool completely overnight and checked the dipstick level this morning and it appears to be 3-4mm overfull. I dont want to do any dmage to the car but cannot understand why it would say "oil" if the level was ok - also i guess i should reduce the level of oil back to the maximum mark - any help suggestions greatly appreciated. Is this better to go back to dealer and not drive it?

Thanks

Put the oil back to the correct level first.

The "OIL" in the dash display means the car thinks your due a service

FR06BlackMagic

so shouldnt do any damage to keep driving it for a week or so?

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
so shouldnt do any damage to keep driving it for a week or so?

As long as you correct the oil level - yes no probs driving it.

The service indicator is usually early to give you chance to book it in - check when the last service was done - probably just short of 10k miles ago i would guess

FR06BlackMagic

The car has done 55000 - is there a service due then?

krussel

Oct 31, 2008
Hertforshire
Mine counted down and then "bonged" once when you start up telling you it needed a service. Did not see a oil warning. Mines 2008 did they change it ?

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Mine counted down and then "bonged" once when you start up telling you it needed a service. Did not see a oil warning. Mines 2008 did they change it ?

I think it depends on wether your car is set up for fixed interval service or variable interval service schedule.

Fixed interval service cars get two warnings "OIL" service and "INSP" service

Sounds like yours is on variable service intervals so it counts down

krussel

Oct 31, 2008
Hertforshire
Oh i see. I got the "INSP" notice flashing once the count down finished and the spanner symbol. All was reset when serviced so i guess it will start counting down again next year.

Oct 17, 2006
Mid Wales
I think it depends on wether your car is set up for fixed interval service or variable interval service schedule.

Fixed interval service cars get two warnings "OIL" service and "INSP" service

Sounds like yours is on variable service intervals so it counts down

The Mk4 doesn't support variable servicing - in fact no SEAT does apart from the Exeo

NickyJam

FR - gone, not forgotten
Mar 17, 2008
SW LONDON
The Mk4 doesn't support variable servicing - in fact no SEAT does apart from the Exeo

can't say that your right or wrong there...all i know is that it does alert you with either just a spanner or spanner with word OIL, mine's an '08 FR TDi

NickyJam

FR - gone, not forgotten
Mar 17, 2008
SW LONDON

Thanks

next time something appears on the dash, rather than guess at what it could be it would help to read the MANUAL where all is explained ;) if that don't say anything then consult the forum

the indicator for low oil level is the little oil canister with droplets coming out the end...

krussel

Oct 31, 2008
Hertforshire
next time something appears on the dash, rather than guess at what it could be it would help to read the MANUAL where all is explained

No where's the fun in that i just panic and swear then come on here and pray :lol:

I had already booked mine in for the service but when it started "bonging" i just thought it was the temp warning gone wrong :D

Oct 17, 2006
Mid Wales
next time something appears on the dash, rather than guess at what it could be it would help to read the MANUAL where all is explained ;) if that don't say anything then consult the forum

the indicator for low oil level is the little oil canister with droplets coming out the end...

Don't let it get to the point where this light comes on though to put oil in your car - the light is a low oil pressure warning, not a low level warning. The MK4 Ibiza also doesn't have oil level monitoring. The pressure warning will only light up when there's not enough oil left to pressurise the system - at this point you've left it too late really - damage is already being done.

NickyJam

FR - gone, not forgotten
Mar 17, 2008
SW LONDON
Don't let it get to the point where this light comes on though to put oil in your car - the light is a low oil pressure warning, not a low level warning. The MK4 Ibiza also doesn't have oil level monitoring. The pressure warning will only light up when there's not enough oil left to pressurise the system - at this point you've left it too late really - damage is already being done.

very true...thanks for the correction (my mind was set on level rather than pressure)

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.