Oil Temperture gauge failure

Sparky

May 15, 2003
Unknown
Visit site
Guys....

Got into the car this morning to find that that the Oil Temp gauage was not working, I gave the car a good 30min run this morning to warm it up but still no joy.

I;ve also noticed the small red light to the right hand side of the guage lights up in red when you turn on the ignition.

Any ideas? Is this just a simple fuse problem?

Cheers

PlatinumR

Arrived and lovin it!!
Jul 23, 2004
Shoreham-by-Sea
Not had the fault myself but a few people have replaced the coolant sensor on the header tank, i think it's quite common.
Hopefully some other people will have idea's

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
Sparky said:
coolant is at the right level, checked that this morning, will check the collant sensor to see if thats the problem

im sure you know this mate but theres two on the leon. the one that works the gauge is on or by the coolant tank.

Copra

Used To Be "mk4polo"
Feb 7, 2003
Hampshire
Visit site
the sensor that fails isnt generally the one on the bottle, it is the one which is fitted to a pipe. it costs about £20, takes about 5mins to fit.
Very common problem
Mark

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
i might be wrong but if your not getting any changes in driving/performance then one on the pipe is proberly ok as i think this relates to the engine.

the one on the bottle makes the gauge work. (i think)

try doing a search on here.

mallett

Jul 6, 2006
Bristol
I'd suggest it's the temp sender sensor on the coolant container. The other one went down on mine but the coolant gague in the car still worked.

montana83

Mar 7, 2006
Hampshire
You ever find out which one it was??

As mine has started playing up now, sometimes it works and then will just go to 0 when driving and then back to 90 etc

Bananaman

Seconded!!

Had the '3 beeps and red light' warning the other day. Turned off the engine and fetched the manual to see what it was, but it never came back on?! Drove away as usual - keeping an eye on the gauge - and it kept randomly dropping between 0 and 90.

Frustrating - and hopefully won't be expensive to fix with Christmas on the way!!

bigjode

Feb 25, 2006
The one in the pipe (the gren top one) controls the ECU and guage - It has four pins on it - 2 go to the ECU and 2 to the guage I think.

I took my sensor out of the car when cold and left it conneted, then put it in a cup of hot water. the guage shot right up to the 90 something mark (guess the water wasn't as boiling as it looked ;) )

I have tried 5 green op sensors now and stll get the 17704 fault. I think it may be the wiring on the connector, because the car never overheats.

m.r.davies

God's Property
Jun 13, 2006
Cardiff
Sorry to hijack the thread but I have the problem too,
I've replaced the (g62 0r g52) green coolant sensor a few months back.

when i start the car, sometimes i get the beep and the gauge wont work, but if i leave it for a few mins after the engines warmed up the gauge starts working again, coolant level is fine.

Do I need to replace the sensor on the coolant bottle? if so is it easy to find/cheap to replace?

smoothuk

SmoothNAV
Aug 26, 2005
Essex
I got this to, been doing it for months, sometimes it works, sometimes it does'nt, i just ignore it now, check the coolant level every so often but it makes no difference to the driving of the car. Will get it fixed one day...

Mitchy

TTRS
Oct 12, 2004
The green topped sensor has nothing to do with this fault, the green topped sensor is related to a permanent engine warning light and when the code is read it corresponds to the coolant sensor.

The early morning beep fault does not light up the engine light and does not record a fault code. It simply means you need a new expansion tank. (Cost £15)

Both faults are with the coolant sysyem but are totally unrelated:)

Often people change the green sensor with the early morning beeps and change the expansion tank with the engine light on and wonder why nothing has changed lol::D

A search would have stopped you wasting your money on the wrong component;) :D

Last edited:

bigjode

Feb 25, 2006
A search would have stopped you wasting your money on the wrong component;) :D

Agreed, but its not always that simple. Faults can "sometimes" be caused things that aren't the common solution aswel.

I had a problem recently, and a search revealed that everyone that had it was just told to do xyz, I did xyz and guess what, it didn't help. So I did what no one else even suggested, and it worked. so :p

:D

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.