Overheating Problems

nickd

Hi all, advice needed, :help:

Last night whilst heading home the temp gauge started flashing and beeping. Pulled oiver and switched engine off.
Plenty water in system, fans still working, no cracks around rad, however i could see water spray around the side mount? :shrug:

Basically on tick over or any speeds below 15miles the temp stays ok, but anything above it shoots to red!

Took me 2 hours to get home doing 15miles an hour when its only a 20min trip!
I was thinking of a possible blockage in the intercooler?
Any ideas?

Thanks

jwfcms

Sep 14, 2008
UK Yorkshire
intercooler only has air flowing through it so dont know what sort of blockage you could get seen as you have the air filter inplace i imagine.. are you loosing water from the bottle as you say you can see a spray of water.. so is it defiantly leaking from the cooling system because then the water resevoir level would go down, could be a split hose and getting an air lock. common for water pump problems and over heating so if you dont get any luck finding t he obvious causes, rad, split hose, leak, then best bet is the water pump if you have done 50,000+ and havnt had cambelt/ water pump done. and if you are getting the water pump done get the cambelt and cambelt tensioners and rollers done at the same time as they have to be removed to replace the water pump and wouldnt make sense puting the old cambelt back on.

matstrooper

yep pretty sure its the water pump as i had exactly the same thing on a passat company car i had nothing more than 50mph else went sky high.

jamiebennett81

water pump has gone

standard pump has plastic fins in, which over time degrade and snap off....leading to it not pumping water round the system

a new one has the metal impellor in it, which prevents this from happening

common issue

nickd

Thanks all, i'm guessing its the water pump, no coolent loss. No more leaks (test drove it today) just overheating when driving over 1500rpm.
Rang local dealer, they only have plastic impellor's, (any one know part no for metal version??)

Car's done 72k, had cambelt done at 62K, didn't know about water pump. oops!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members