P1183

robotsyte

May 26, 2017
Hi everyone!

I've the fault code P1183, but I can delete it, and only comes back after few days.
I've read the forum and in many posts you said, P1183 means the front lambda sensor, but when I looked for the meaning of the fault code, I found this is bank 2 sensor 2, what means the rear sensor (what is under the car) for me. I disconnceted the front sensor and I've got some other fault with bank 1 sensor 1.
So I changed the rear sensor, and the fault (P1183) still comes.
What you think I must change the front sensor, or can be some cable issue from the rear sensor?

Thanks for the help.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
P1183, is as far as I can see, Bank 1 Sensor 1, which in the case of a 3 or 4 cylinder inline engine is the first sensor, ie the one on the mani-cat.

So, if that is true, then you will need to replace the front sensor, I have always only ever bought and fitted either a VW Group genuine part or an NTK one, NTK is the sensors part of the NGK spark plugs etc company, and it is that manufacturer's S1 sensors that VW Group use in the engine plants.

robotsyte

May 26, 2017
P1183, is as far as I can see, Bank 1 Sensor 1....

Thanks for your answer, I checked the meaning of the trouble code here.
Can you tell me where can I find the real meaning, because in this case it looks wrong now?

Last edited:

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Thanks for your answer, I checked the meaning of the trouble code here.
Can you tell me where can I find the real meaning, because in this case it looks wrong now?

Yes, I now understand your problem!

I Googled VW fault code P1183 and every one I read suggested that it was a B1 S1 failure, so that was why I suggested it was B1 S1 and that logic is backed up by your experience that replacing B1 S2 did not solve your problem, also, the B1 S1 sensor is the controlling sensor that sets the base or basic mixture level, the B1 S2 sensor is just a monitoring sensor to check that the cat is working okay, ie it is more only an emissions monitoring sensor.

The S1 sensors are located in a very horrible extremely hot area and so probably more liable to failure than the S2.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise