Paint, red or Yellow???..or maybe Black

Phillc

Love is....Yellow
Apr 23, 2007
Pershore, worcestershire
Ok,
I am looking to buy an LCR about an 05 or 06 i really want another yellow one BUT i am well aware of the paint problem and don't want to be facing the fade problem in the future, or did Seat get the issue sorted on the later cars, the other colour i am considering is Red BUT again i am aware of the fade issue does the red fade due to the same reason the Yellow does? and then have the same problems restoring the colour ie re-spray.
I seem to like the colours that have problems associated with them ...i like black too but then you have the scratch issue and always looking dirty:confused:
I would really like the opinion of the owners of cars the colours i am considering.:help:

Richie-LCR

Jan 25, 2009
ayrshire
wouldnt the paint stay brighter for longer if it was properly protected with wax? or is it just crap paint?
blacks the best anyway mate, well untill you see the swirl marks :(

Phillc

Love is....Yellow
Apr 23, 2007
Pershore, worcestershire
wouldnt the paint stay brighter for longer if it was properly protected with wax? or is it just crap paint?
blacks the best anyway mate, well untill you see the swirl marks :(

The problem with the yellow is there is no UV protection in the clear coat so the paint fades and you cant get to the paint due to the clear coat hence the re-spray. :(

Richie-LCR

Jan 25, 2009
ayrshire
The problem with the yellow is there is no UV protection in the clear coat so the paint fades and you cant get to the paint due to the clear coat hence the re-spray. :(

hmm thats pretty crap tbh, i looked at a LC before i got my R and every panel was a different colour due to the fading so i walked away, glad i did now as i thought a machine polish would have sorted it

black ones are faster anyway :p

wilky87

Apr 11, 2009
Mine is black, and it looks dirty 3/4 days after a wash & wax :( I would go with yellow and speand abit of cash on a decent uv protection wax?

Phillc

Love is....Yellow
Apr 23, 2007
Pershore, worcestershire
Mine is black, and it looks dirty 3/4 days after a wash & wax :( I would go with yellow and speand abit of cash on a decent uv protection wax?

Ah, i didn't know you could get one, so if i used that all the time it should stop or help to reduce the fade, as i am hoping if i can find a 05/06 yellow R it will not have suffered any fade yet.

jordyboy004

Leon Cupra 1.8t 20v
Apr 4, 2008
Isle Of Wight
seat standard paint is crap or so iv been told, thats why it fades. if your getting a re spray (like me) make sure you get a decent paint and as before decent wax should prevent the fading. i went into b&q got a colour chart and getting my sprayer to match it. still having yellow but not the "onvi". "bannana yellow #2" here we go

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
Black is a nice subtle colour, i found yellow too in your face.
Mine is a 55 plate with no real swirl marks but stone chips appearing on the front become very noticeable
Wayne has a platinum and mine is black so you only have 3 colours to choose from.:whistle:

Phillc

Love is....Yellow
Apr 23, 2007
Pershore, worcestershire
Black is a nice subtle colour, i found yellow too in your face.
Mine is a 55 plate with no real swirl marks but stone chips appearing on the front become very noticeable
Wayne has a platinum and mine is black so you only have 3 colours to choose from.:whistle:

I know, :p i like the black but like you said stone chips and scraches show , and i am not keen on the Platinum ( sorry Wayne and anyone else with a Platinum Car) so its Red or Yellow.

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
Ah, i didn't know you could get one, so if i used that all the time it should stop or help to reduce the fade, as i am hoping if i can find a 05/06 yellow R it will not have suffered any fade yet.

Yeah thats right mate a decent wax will help to stop fading.....a coloured wax polish over that will help even more.

Seat got it really wrong with that yellow we used to have no end of troubles matching paint, we had to re spray a whole car once just so it was all one colour.......happy customer.....angry insurance company!

jambondrums

I've got an 03 lcr in yellow, the paint's not bad at all, just a little bit really, but I've found that polishing it with autoglym super resin polish, then sealing the paint with high gloss paint sealer, and then waxing it with a good carnuba based wax (I use dodo juice, they do one that's specifically formulated for yellow and orange cars), has helped wonders!! I'm planning to clay it in a few weeks too!!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.