Part Ex rip off!

Three Leons

May 18, 2007
Wakefield
I bought my 53 plate LC back in May for just under 7k but have just come into a bit of unexpected cash so was thinking about maybe, possibly, upgrading to an LCR :p. I went down to see one today and asked the garage what he'd give me part-ex for the LC - and he said 4k!! Now I know they have to make a profit but did he really expect me to accept a loss of 3 grand over 3 months!!

Good though the R was I think I'll stick with 180bhp for now. It makes you wonder why anyone would part-ex with a dealer.

Mike Green

Cupra crazy
May 4, 2007
Surrey
Blimey that is quite a drop!! part ex is so undervalued but it is easy to do without the fuss of selling. I would only part ex right at the end of a cars life. My old golf they offered me £500 for, which I went on to sell quickley at £1k but could have got £1.5k if I was prepared to wait.

If i had a car worth more than £2k I would sell privately. But the reason why the part ex is so low is that the garage either auctions the car off (possible v low price) or sells directly to another garage to sell on - therefore in the latter you are actually being offered a double drop for the dealer to then sell on to another garage. Then you have to factor in if you do not sell the caaar for a few months you have the cost of 2 cars OTR which can add up.

Cupraloon

I bought my 53 plate LC back in May for just under 7k but have just come into a bit of unexpected cash so was thinking about maybe, possibly, upgrading to an LCR :p. I went down to see one today and asked the garage what he'd give me part-ex for the LC - and he said 4k!! Now I know they have to make a profit but did he really expect me to accept a loss of 3 grand over 3 months!!

Good though the R was I think I'll stick with 180bhp for now. It makes you wonder why anyone would part-ex with a dealer.

That is without doubt... taking the pi$$, car dealers eh, :rolleyes:

I had a similar thing not so long ago, when i considered selling my 02' 20vt i paid almost £8,500 for it in August 06, with only 30k on the clock, 2-3 months ago (34k), i was offered not a lot more than the 4k you were, car dealers I hate em' and they sit there acting like their doing you a favour... [:@][:@]

Three Leons

May 18, 2007
Wakefield
The reason I was so tempted to upgrade was finding, to my surprise, that there were quite a few LCRs going for £9k and under (some as low as £7500). Is it just me or have prices taken a dive recently? To be fair a few of them had over 90k on the clock but even so a grand or two extra over a decent LC for the R isn't bad

BCM

Keyboard Gangster
Feb 1, 2005
Wishaw, North Lanarkshire
They have taken a drop, they seem to be leveling out,
don't be worried about big miles either,
both myself and my lil bro have high mileage 20vT engines (me LCR him K03s Ibiza)

chughes163

Jul 1, 2007
Oxford, UK
They probably have thought:

£4000 PX - maybe £4500 if you pushed them
£1000 Prep costs (inc. £300/400 warranty)
£1000 markup - allowing for negotiations

Its low from your point of view though, so definitely sell privately

si-mate

Jai Ho or Jay Ho?
May 31, 2004
Kunt Centryside
Also what they offer will depend on how much they want your car. They're not going to offer top money if they've got 3 of them sat on their forecourt.

vinylrichy

Darker Than The Vinyl
Aug 3, 2006
Worthing West Sussex
good points on here - yeah defo sell private and its been discussed on here before about moding LC to get same or more power than an LCR and the insurance goes sky high - plus like its been said, you dont get all the nice features and looks of the LCR. if it was me i would sell LC on ebay/autotrader and get an LCR [B)]

Three Leons

May 18, 2007
Wakefield
Also what they offer will depend on how much they want your car. They're not going to offer top money if they've got 3 of them sat on their forecourt.

Yeah good point - aswell as the LCR I went to see they had another LCR (which had just been sold) and a TDi Cupra (which had done 123k miles and they wanted 8 grand for it - definitely a 'buy low sell high' garage!:D)