passenger floor wet

kevsn

Feb 19, 2010
Earth
hi all this is my first post so i apologise if i posted in the wrong section

i started to notice a slight damp smell in my leon so decided to investigate and found that the passenger side floor is wet ( not soaked but wet enough)

anyone any ideas where this could be coming from

is it a common fault

i owned an audi s3 not that long ago which had the same problem but worse and i never found out where it was coming from

thanks kev

andycupra

status subject to change
very common,
as its your first post ill let you off not searching. :whistle:
It is 99% likely to be either of the following:

1 an incorrectly fitted pollen filter
or
2 the door seal has perished.

After a good downpour, if you open the passenger door, is there water on the sill? if so this indicates the door seal (the seal around the door carrier) has gone.
This is a VERY common probem on leons and is well known.

The pollen filter is fitted at the top right corner of the engine bay, under the plastic scuttle panel and if fitted incorrectly can allow water running off the screen / bonnet to get into the cabin.
Have you had it serviced recently?

The following is a link to a thread explaining these issues and the fixes:

http://seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=44216

oh and welcome to SCN :)

Last edited:

kevsn

Feb 19, 2010
Earth
hi thanks for the reply

ive only owed the car for a week or so ive not had it serviced as its not due.

thanks for the link ill investigate

kevsn

Feb 19, 2010
Earth
hi

after investigation the pollon filter looks fine. (but i aint no mechanic)

ive opened my passenger door and there is drops of water present on the sill so im asuming its getting in there. its not a massive amount like but its definitely there

thanks

LEE69

Stage 2 Revo'd
Dec 10, 2004
C\UK\Devon\Torquay
No you can't see it as the water seeps through the "foam" seal (stupid design).
Various ways you can do it best looking at the sticky (in the FAQ area) and see which route you want to take.

kevsn

Feb 19, 2010
Earth
ok thanks again for the info. im pretty diaspointed with this car ive had it a week or so and ive had problems its a sound car its just got a few niggles.

its goin back to garage on monday for:

engine managment light on (although car runs fine)
boot will not open

and now im gona get them to look at this water problem. the thing is none of the carpets are soaked \9passenger side just feels a little damp in one area. but the windows do fog up during the night. ther is a slight damp smell.

then again the car is a 2001

andycupra

status subject to change
its the seal around the door carrier, as shown in the thread i i linked to in post #2.

look on that thread for the seal cord part number to replace the original seal with.

boot not opening, that will the the solenoid, the dealer may replace it, or many of use lub it up and its can then be ok, they just get dry and the mechanism doesnt fully operate.

cosmicctr

I had this problem with my Leon Cupra, got really frustrating in Autumn when it got wet so took it to my Seat garage who said exactly the same as others have said, either pollen filter or the seals in the doors which house the electric window mechanism (this is what they told me, I'm not mechanically minded). They checked both and of course it wasn't the 50p fix, it was the £170 fix. Since the seals were done the problem has gone though so it was worth the money! :)

kevsn

Feb 19, 2010
Earth
hi

just had a heavy downpoor where i live (sunny north east)
so i decided to go and check the car. i opened the passenger side door and a flipin pint of water fell from the sill. also cheked drivers door too and it did the same (not as bad tho)

guess ive found where the waters coming from.

another job for me to do ( if it ever stops raining that is)

i would have never thought it could make its way in through there.

thanks to all who helped

andycupra

status subject to change
you will find that the seal allows water to run down the inside of the door down to the sill.
This water cant escape as when you close the door it pushes against the seal running around the door opening. Eventually enough water leaks from the door carrier seal so that the water being held runs over the top of the sill/kick panel and then down onto the carpet.

You dont usually get to see water marks etc as its rain water...

Taylor c

Apr 16, 2004
Coventry
is this just for front foot wells coz its my rear behind drivers seat. My sills do get loads of water on them but how does the footwell get like really wet from this as u could ring out a towel and fill a pint glass lol.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.