Passenger window switch.

Don Eason

Feb 19, 2010
Heyya fella's..

My bro somehow managed to push in the middle part of the window switch in on the front passenger side (the part that lights up) now the switch has a hole in it and i think the bit landed into the mechanism as the switch opens the window, but cant be pushed down to close it... :wtf:

how hard is this to change? do i have to have the door card off? or does it just pop out somehow? if someone has a part number/price for a new one, that would be helpfull also, since he is paying for it! ;)

BBoy82

Dan the compressor man...
Oct 25, 2008
East Northants
Piece of p1ss mate. Mine did the exact same thing.
Go on ebay, find motors in motion (search for seat leon breaking) and order a replacement switch. It comes with the black surround facia (LCR). Then just gently pry your old one out with a screwdriver starting at the rear, making sure not to scratch the door card. One plug connection, and your done. £15 delivered, and 30 second job.
If the window is stuck open, remove some more of the top of the switch material with a fine screwdriver, and see if you can get the missing bit out with tweezers. Or remove it and shake it upside down.

BBoy82

Dan the compressor man...
Oct 25, 2008
East Northants
P.S new item from stoneacre seat peterborough was about £60 iirc, and the one from motors in motion was immaculate....

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
When that happened to me I was able to repair it. As you guessed, the clear plastic window logo has been pushed out of the switch face and dropped into the switch body. This is closed, so you won't have lost it.

The plastic frame with the switch in can be levered up out of the door panel (carefully - use a wide flat screwdriver or maybe an old tabel knife) and the switch unplugged and removed from the carrier. Now comes the tricky bit, with a certain possibility of a ping****it episode.

As carefully as possible, lever the switch body away from the pivot on the switch toggle, the bit that moves. There is a spring inside and a moving metal contact piece. Try to get a good look at how it's put together before you take it completely apart.

In the bottom of the switch you'll find the clear bit. Stick it back into the switch face. I used superglue, but be careful as superglue fogs clear plastic - I kept it to a minimum and around the edge.

In the best Haynes tradition, reassembly is the reverse of removal. Good luck!

Don Eason

Feb 19, 2010
Cheer's guys... will take it off and have a burtchers before ordering a new one... :)

Don Eason

Feb 19, 2010
managed to take it out, the center peice was broken into three peices though... Doh! Guess its a new switch then!

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Patch it back together with superglue or something like Evo-stik.

Or replace it with a clear sheet on the back of the switch button.

Or find one at a scrapyard.

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
I did the same as Muttley when my switch was faulty, just strip it down and fix it from inside. In my case it was a dodgy solder connection.

I mainly did it because I couldn't find any on Ebay, then when someone else was looking I got pointed towards at least half a dozen for sale!! They do crop up, usually between £10 and £20. Brand new they're still around £60, even from Sere motors. Oddly enough, it's often easier to get the drivers door cluster than it is to get the individual switches, but it's still worth a look.

Here's a few;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150646707033
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160634515115
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150646711111

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.