Pastywagon Sprint Dates 2008 - NEW 2009 prep

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
Visit site
dont think they collected speed trap figs this meeting as the gun was busted or something - where are you reading that from?

Have been talking with a chassis setup expert (ex-F1) and have decided to give some radials a go - crossplies are really progressive, slide well etc, and warm up quickly, but they are very sensitive to getting the camber spot on and this is very hard in a saloon car what with chassis roll etc (big changes in dynamic camber). Its hard to get away from this without going to massive spring rates which is not good for hillclimbing, what with bumps and all. Radials are much more forgiving in this respect so are going to try some out.

My avons are good but I have never been that convinced they were working as well as they should

So I borrowed a few from my local tyre place to see what fits best and get some exact measurements off them:

tyres.jpg

From left:

Michelin asphalt rally moulded slick, 200/610/16
Mich 240/610/16 - 248mm wide! cummon, 600mm diameter (despite the fact they are supposed to be 610.....this is why I borrowed em to check)
My normal avon sicks - pretty much the same size as the mich's, 3mm narrower, 6mm less diameter
Dunlop CR311 220/625/16

Mich rally tyres are stickered up BFGoodrich these days - something to do with WRC sponsorship

These are all FIA-homologated moulded slicks, with a 17% tread.

Second ones are the way to go - are going to try and fit them on front and back if I can get the badger-5 arch roller to do its stuff, if not, the narrower ones will go on the back

Ave it

Rob

Last edited:

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
Visit site
thats the one - no speeds though as the gun was broke - shame, I like to see them as I go over the line as they have a display

there's a 206 thats entered in road going that has a pukka touring car engine in it - roumoured to be 280hp - in April he went over the line at 125mph....staggering......best I have done is 121 although I am usually faster overall time due to better cornering speed on slicks

that car will be mega when they get it fully sorted

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
Visit site
tyresbfg.jpg

2 of the big mich's now sat in my garage - yummy yummy - thought those avons were soft until I got these...OMG

Just need to get em on some rims now and see if they will go on the back (given they are 248mm wide!), if not they can go on the front and I'll get the narrower ones for the back (which are same diameter)

Ave it

Rob

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
are those sprint tyres rob or rally ones?
need some rear arches like mine mate.. gte ya grinder and cutting disk out :D

met a guy on saturday who was at aintree same weekend, racing an morgan plus 8 or aero 8, cant remember now.. won his class apparently. he was saying about the swarm of midges, and swifts flying thru the timing beams eating them setting off the timings..

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
Visit site
those are radial asphalt rally tyres, in the very softest compound available normally for cold conditions like monte carlo - I am not convinced anymore that crossplies are the way to go on a hatchback that weighs 950kg (maybe on a 700kg 205 or a caterfield or single seater), they roll too much and dont give sufficient camber control that crossplies need - radials are more forgiving in this respect apparently.

A subaru I know has been destroying crossplies and the owner is unhappy as they are very expensive.

Avon dont make the real softies, in the size I need, in radials - hence this route.

I know a bloke who runs an old fiesta in sports libra (it has a duratec in it) and he uses these tyres and highly recommends them for sprints and hillclimbs - and he puts up good times

we will see how they go, the experiment continues

once I get my wheels I can get the wheel on the car and see how much rolling/cutting is needed - it would be great to use the same tyre all round so I can rotate em

other good thing about these is that they are not directional - can be used on all corners of the car to even out the wear

there were loads of morgans at the aintree meet - a morgan championship meet I think - lovely cars

Last edited:

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
Visit site
Latest - tyres are mounted up on 8x16 compos and with a bit of arch rolling, I think they will go on the back as well as the front, which is handy to have the same tyres all round so that the wear can be taken by all tyres as they are rotated - these rally tyres are not directional either which makes it great to rotate them round the car

The (slightly larger diameter) Dunlop CR311's wouldnot have gone on when mounted on wheels, so good choice to go with the mich's

DSC01235.jpg

DSC01237.jpg

I have to say, they look the dogs bits :funk::clap: and the wheel/tyre combo feels quite a bit lighter than a toyo R888-fitted wheel, will get some scales on it later

so today, a bit of arch rolling

Have booked a trackday at Oulton park next wednesday to get some practice with the new gearbox, then roll on next event!

Ave it

Rob

Last edited:

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
Visit site
hmm - rear arch rolling on a Mk2 ibiza.....not easy given that the arch is no where near round and the lip is double skinned - the arch roller wouldn't do it - so have spent the day doing it the old fashioned way with a hammer and dolly - quite pleased with the result although its going to need a lick of paint

but the main thing is that the big tyres will go on - 251mm wide on a 8x16 rim ET35

other side gets it tomorrow

ave it

Rob

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
Visit site
Rear doesn't look too bad really, especially since some hammering has been involved (pic with rear of car still in the air so wheel is in droop - tucked under nicely with car on ground)

rear.jpg

And front, which also fill the arches these days

front.jpg

Rear was not an easy job - roller just wouldn't touch the double skin thickness - ended up bending the upturned lip flat with pliers etc followed by hammer/dolly (so there was maybe 2cm lip level with ground) - rotary wire brushing all the sealer off the inside of the arch (of which there was a lot which would prevent the arch lip going back flush) - then making a few cuts in the lip with the angle grinder to help it bend round the arch radius - then bending the lip back flat to the inside of the arch with pliers and hammer/dolly and waterpump pliers with a block of wood on the outside of the arch to stop damage and pinch the lip back totally flat. Tidy up, undercoat, jobs a good un. Full days work though as daft as it sounds :cry:

The arch would be ok with a bit of paint, there is not much damage at all, but the stick on oem spats are easier to finish it off, especially for £35 for 4!

Feb 20, 2005
Telford ay it...
Euro styling on the arches!

Apologies for the lame question Rob, but why does your car have no side skirts? 96 build like mine so should have them?

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
Visit site
one of them 'fell' off' when I landed on a grass bank :whistle: so I reckoned I didn't need the other one :D

Going to renovate the sills over the winter, up to the bottom of the doors, as they have quite a few stone chips / gravel rash and the paint is flaking badly in places - so after stripping back they will be painted matt black to make it look like it has sill covers on

the black will be carried on to the area behind the rear arch, which will be made flat and more presentable, and across the back of the car where the silencer is

got some rear beam mods coming up also

all part of the cosmetic winter project

Feb 20, 2005
Telford ay it...
Just looks odd how theres no nipples showing for the mounting's.....or its the way the pics are taken. Better off without them anyway, get in the way when jacking/attacking grass banks :happy:

Rear beam mods sound interesting....

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise