Performance Brakes or OEM????

NJG

Black Magic
Apr 13, 2003
Devon
Visit site
I'm due a new set of brake discs and pads all round on my 2001 Leon Cupra, and was considering buying grooved discs and performance pads. They certainly look better , but as I'm not driving hard most of the time, would braking be less effective if the discs\pads aren't reaching temperature during 'normal' driving?

My main gripe with the standard OEM discs, is that when it's raining hard, the brakes don't 'bite' for the first couple of seconds, which is quite alarming when you need them then. My other car (2007 FR tdi) doesn't suffer this, and that has solid discs too.

So I thought, if I went for some grooved discs, this would help dispel the water.
However, talking to a mechanic the other day, I was told that if I chose the performance discs over the standard type, then braking would initially be less effective due to the disc being kept cool by design, so the pads would be too cool and less effective during normal driving.
Different story if you drive on your brakes all the time, or use the car on track days sure.

So, now not sure whether to upgrade or stick with the OEM discs and pads.

By the way, if I stick with solid discs, "GSF" apparently sell Brembo ones for £98 a pair (front), as opposed to Dealer ones at £122
Or I was looking at a complete performance kit front\rear & EBC Red pads
at "A2Z car parts" for £300.
(Or EBC Grooved turbo discs at £205 front pair)
What do you reckon guys?

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
avoid ebc pads like the plague

want good pads, look no further than ferodo ds2500's. superb performing pads.
£118/front set, reassuringly expensive... in a stella kinda way

DannyC87

Rubbing is Racing :-)
Mar 4, 2008
avoid ebc pads like the plague

want good pads, look no further than ferodo ds2500's. superb performing pads.
£118/front set, reassuringly expensive... in a stella kinda way

very true, run ds2500's on my lcr and they are excellent in every way! my car does a lot of mixed driving, long motorway runs to b-road thrashes and the brakes always feel spot on. you may want to consider changing your brake fluid as well if this hasn't been done for a while.

NJG

Black Magic
Apr 13, 2003
Devon
Visit site
Sorted

Thanks Guys for the advice. :)

I decided to stick with a standard setup.
Bought Brembo discs allround (with usefull wear dimples), and Textar pads.
All OEM spec at £204 from "GSF".

Well, the car has covered 170,000 miles, so I best treat her gently now!! ;)

MrTrEv

what do u guys think of mintex pads and discs and i think the standard brakes r bit poor tbh and seen sum mintex at quite a reasonable price on ebay but never used them before.
oh n ebc pads r w@$k extremely spongy n poor performance.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise