petrol or diesel fr

stephenSF

Jun 2, 2009
I thought I wanted a petrol FR but now I'm not sure. I don't do loads of miles but from what I'm hearing some people prefer the diesel in day to day driving. Maybe its because of the low down kick.
I was interested in what someone on here said, that the petrol is too even through the revs so not fun enough in any one place on the dial. Anyone agree?
Thanks

Proby

I Luv Boost!!
Aug 17, 2009
Unless you do plenty of miles I'd take the Cupra anyday. I agree don't see point in FR petrol unless you want DSG?

Bogwoppit

Aug 30, 2005
Lincs
Go take them both for a drive and see what you think, the petrol does pull fairly well at the bottom end and as a plus point you don't have to change gear at 4500rpm.

predo

Dec 26, 2005
Edinburgh
seriously I cannot understand people saying petrol fr is not fun to drive. They must obviously have not driven one or something...

if running costs are not an issue I'd have petrol over diesel ANY DAY.

They are not that different on low revs because both are turbocharged but petrol has the advantage of revving over 4k rpm...

dasc04

The Diesel FR comes out with DSG in a couple of months. (Don't know if thats been mentioned on here yet?)

Would you be looking at buying new? May be worth waiting if DSG and diesel were attractive.

Proby

I Luv Boost!!
Aug 17, 2009
seriously I cannot understand people saying petrol fr is not fun to drive. They must obviously have not driven one or something...

They are not that different on low revs because both are turbocharged but petrol has the advantage of revving over 4k rpm...

Couldn't agree more. If I didn't do so many miles in it, I'd have a petrol.

Poverty

If the petrol isnt fun the drive then the diesel must be a right bore :lol:

BeezerDiesel

Minus a Diesel Beezer
Aug 3, 2002
Exeter
Visit site
Just to throw in a slightly different angle and assuming you're not buying new, the Diesel is quite dear to buy second hand but the petrol can be picked up quite cheaply.

The petrol engine is the same as the Golf GTI and Scirocco and look how many plaudits that gets in the press. I think the biggest issue with the petrol FR is that the Cupra isn't that much more expensive.
A re-mapped FR petrol could be an inexpensive genuine performance car. Once you go past stage 1 though you'd be better off with a Cupra IMO unless you are lucky enough to pick up a bunch of bits second hand.

stephenSF

Jun 2, 2009
I really don't do loads of miles. About 8000 a year tops. I thought about a diesel but as I'm buying used there seems to be more of a premium on diesels that isn't really there on new cars.

Poverty

I really don't do loads of miles. About 8000 a year tops. I thought about a diesel but as I'm buying used there seems to be more of a premium on diesels that isn't really there on new cars.

Whats wrong with you man. You only do 8000 miles yet your thinking about a diesel :-o

delboyuk2005uk

Jan 25, 2009
St Helens
Cupra all they with only 8000 miles. I do 15,000 so I have a TDI FR. 8,000 and id trade my TDI FR in for a CUPRA no doubts.

SO CUPRA all the way. IF you want a FR tho diesel for me cant see the point in the petrol FR if the CUPRA aint much more.

RobH

Nov 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
like many have said if your only doing 8000 miles a year then get the cupra, kind of a no brainer really. i think most who have the fr desiel only have it because they do loads of miles and if in your position would of bought a cupra.

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
Re low miles, I do low miles per year in my Leon (probably 5k a year). It stays in the garage all week and then at the weekend I take it out for a spin and do maybe 100 miles in it in one trip.

Is it low miles or low frequency use?

I didn't get a cupra because I wanted a car that was no more than 5-6 months old (3-4k miles) and I only had 15k cash to spent. I couldn't find a Cupra that new for 15k but an FR gave me a choice of colours and options that I wanted.

Last edited:

chrisjgill

Dec 13, 2007
Skipton
I originally only did 4-5k miles a year so got the FR simply as I wanted DSG. Otherwise it would have been the cupra.

I now do around 12-15k a year so after owning the petrol FR for 2 years I am looking to swap to a TDI as the better economy will help!

Test drove the old PD TDI and thought it was very good. Waiting for test drive in new CR TDI

I would say under 10k a year a petrol will be fine...