Petrol prices / driving habits

dvfmliv

What with the escalating price of petrol/diesel, I wonder if, like me, any of you folk have adjusted your driving habits accordingly?

I must admit to keeping to the speed limit (or below) in my Arosa regardless of whatever I'm doing driving. I don't think I'm being a softie. I've got a 1.0 Arosa, so I can't really get involved in any kind of high jinks anyway. But I haven't an endless bank balance to keep juicing up my baby.

Any thoughts?

Andy :)

lunalupi

...is not a bloke!
Jul 29, 2006
Wiltshire
I try to keep below 60mph, and if I feel really poor I keep below 50mph and accelerate nice and gently - managed to get over 50mpg by doing that, rather than my usual 40-45 :D

Not been doing that lately though - I'm back in Bath which means HILLS! And ruins my fuel economy. I've also got his MOT on Thursday so have been clearing crud from his engine with a few Italian Tune-ups ;)

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
I am going to start cycling to work instead of driving!

motorcycling - cheaper and quicker - but more dangerous but is a great way to pi$$ off female cayenne owners with snobby attitudes too :lol::lol:

markoos

Simples!
Feb 1, 2004
Cumbernauld
Visit site
motorcycling - cheaper and quicker - but more dangerous but is a great way to pi$$ off female cayenne owners with snobby attitudes too :lol::lol:

Been upsetting someone flapper??
Not really been altering my driving style any,but only really been driving to work and back,cos we're only a 5 min walk from the local shopping centre anyway,when its weekly shop time.

cardaft

Apr 21, 2007
Ive changed my driving a little, but not much really. I try to stick to 70 on motorways, but i still drive with a lead foot.

It depends, sometimes i just try to get really good MPG. So i drive more carfull.

Although having a diesel isnt the same atm, my TDi is only very slightly cheaper to run than my 1.0 now, which is by no means an economical car.

I am going to start cycling to work instead of driving!

Your from Darlo?

Im over that way sometimes, i often see arosas there too! Not many round here.

Any pics of yours? Stick some up in 'post a pic of your arosa' thread :)

lunalupi

...is not a bloke!
Jul 29, 2006
Wiltshire
I think my garage has managed to get the lowest EVER mpg reading from the arosa today while he was in for his MOT - 104 miles on the trip counter, and half a tank of fuel used! :happy:

mcscooby

I've changed my style, I'm at or just below all the speed limts now and am returning a healthy 45mpg average :D

allallyouyou

Arosa Sport
May 23, 2006
I try to relax the accelerator but living in a city with massive hills, it isnt always possible. Makes me laugh tho all thses electric / hydro cars they make. non last long enough for motorway use and then what would the govement use to get tax in? Tax on fresh air?

Boo

The original wee beastie
Nov 12, 2006
Eastbourne
Im not too sure if my fuel economy is any better as its an automatic car. On a long run I can get 300 mile out of a tank of petrol short journeys your looking at around 250. All a bit odd !

cardaft

Apr 21, 2007
All very good mileage figures there!

My TDi gets about 350 miles, from full to the light coming on. My 1.0 is about 240-250 miles, but that usually only stays in the town.

Its getting to the point when im thinking is a diesel the best car to have at the moment! :(

Torquemadder

Jaded old petrolhead
Jun 4, 2008
Lisburn, Northern Ireland
I fill the Tdi every time with a big smile on my face cos it only costs around £35 from empty and each fill lasts 350 miles.
Try running a Supra 3.0 twin turbo for a while :lol: How does £85 each fill which gets around 260 miles sound? :blink:
I still have the beast but it only gets brought out once a month now. I cant bring myself to sell it tho. 400bhp at the rear
wheels is kinda addictive :D

03112007075.jpg

Last edited:

BEnga

Im not too sure if my fuel economy is any better as its an automatic car. On a long run I can get 300 mile out of a tank of petrol short journeys your looking at around 250. All a bit odd !

Hi, Sorry to hi-jack this thread - but how the hell do you get that out of your auto?! I can't get more than 230 out of mine and then the petrol lights on :/

TDi_B5

Feb 2, 2010
Southampton
Lunalupi do you have a trip computer?? Is it something you have fitted or is it standard on your car, just wondering if I'd have one? I do miss my trip computer, although I've just worked out that my last half a tank did 42.6mpg.

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
Hi, Sorry to hi-jack this thread - but how the hell do you get that out of your auto?! I can't get more than 230 out of mine and then the petrol lights on :/

be surprised how a decent steady run can boost ya miles per tank

ibiza 16v (45l tank) around town all day and night is around 190 if that even worse when cold and defrost needed but had 340 on a run to blackpool and back in it too

0000zoon0000

the best I got was 5.6 l/100km (or about 50mpg), in the summer.

lunalupi

...is not a bloke!
Jul 29, 2006
Wiltshire
Lunalupi do you have a trip computer?? Is it something you have fitted or is it standard on your car, just wondering if I'd have one? I do miss my trip computer, although I've just worked out that my last half a tank did 42.6mpg.

It's standard - I only have the one, not several like these posh modern cars ;) but I reset it at each fill-up to keep tabs on how I'm doing.

Currently used quarter of a tank and done only 70miles :( Fuel economy is poop at the moment!

vngtx

no matter how i drive i get 23mpg. might as well get from a to b as quickly as possible (within speed limits) and have some extra time to work on the car after :) i should of bought a 1.0

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members