Petrol smell inside car

greg

Aug 31, 2005
After starting my car first thing in the morning and driving less than a mile up the road, when i next stop (to pick my friend up from his house or stopping at traffic lights) i get a very strong smell of petrol in my car, then when i start moving again the smell gradually fades. It does not happen every time but probably 60-70% of the time. I have never noticed it once the car has warmed up properley (could just be because the warm engine immediately evaporates the petrol).

After searching on here, i saw some people recommended changing the injector seals. I replaced all 8 seals about a month ago and the problem is still there!!

Has anyone else got any other ideas?

Cheers,
Greg

emlyn11

Oct 28, 2008
Surrey
Quick check just under the rear seats to see if the seal on the top of the tank is leaking.

This happened to a mate of mine, he was smoking at the time he noticed the leak so pretty dangerous.

Other than that, just follow the fuel lines from the tank to the engine bay.

Emlyn

greg

Aug 31, 2005
Still getting this problem!!! Checked the fuel pump and filter and they are dry as a whistle, anyone else got any ideas?!!!

Jan 8, 2007
Wiltshire
Could also be a leak on the carbon canister - the black box behind the washer bottle.

Have you removed this? Many people that do often report being able to smell fmues when sat in traffic if they don't vent it well enough.

greg

Aug 31, 2005
Thanks for the reply Robbie. My Carbon Canister is still in place, is there any way it could have malfunctioned at all that would cause this issue, or are there elements that may need replacing?

Jan 8, 2007
Wiltshire
Not heard of any issues with these before to be honest, but maybe worth checking that all the vac lines are still connected properly and nothing is broken off :) No codes with VAG COM?

greg

Aug 31, 2005
No Catch Tank fitted yet, that was gonna be my next mod :)

Read somewhere that the breather hose from the PCV valve could be split, thus causing a fuel smell. Any of you guys had experience of this?

greg

Aug 31, 2005
Not heard of any issues with these before to be honest, but maybe worth checking that all the vac lines are still connected properly and nothing is broken off :) No codes with VAG COM?

No nothing showing up in VAG-COM

Jan 8, 2007
Wiltshire
The PCV valve is prone to leaking it would seem. Bit hard to see properly but maybe try and have a closer look at it underneath the inlet manifold.

If you leave the car running can you track exactly where the smell is coming from or do you see any fumes/smoke when starting from cold?

greg

Aug 31, 2005
Its really weird, it never smells if i just start it up and leave it ticking over on my drive, however when i drive the short (1km) journey to my mates house to pick him up for work in the morning and then wait outside his house, it smells really strong both inside and outside the car. My mate said he can smell it even before he opens the door. On monday it was really bad and i had to open both windows for fear of passing out.

greg

Aug 31, 2005
when it starts lift the bonnet and see if it gets worse

Checked under the bonnet this morning when it started to smell whilst i was waiting outside my friends house. Instantly the fumes hit me as i opened the bonnet, then i had a good sniff round and it appears to be at its strongest by far around the carbon canister area. I have checked around the canister and all the hose connections but i cannot see a visible leak. In all honestly i dont entirely know how the cannister works, so could anyone point me in the direction of which connections could be leaking, or of there are any serviceable components that could need replacing inside or whatever? Cheers :)

Jan 8, 2007
Wiltshire
From memory... you'll have an electrical connection that feeds into a sensor housed in the top of the canister so check this is plugged in and the wire looks OK.

Then you''ll have a feed coming up from the fuel tank, and two further connections in black vac hose; one from the throttle body and another from the TIP (IIRC)

greg

Aug 31, 2005
From memory... you'll have an electrical connection that feeds into a sensor housed in the top of the canister so check this is plugged in and the wire looks OK.

Then you''ll have a feed coming up from the fuel tank, and two further connections in black vac hose; one from the throttle body and another from the TIP (IIRC)

Yeah i checked the electrical connection and the black hose connection with it (on the cap at the top) and both of these seemed ok. Ill check the other hoses as soon as i get a chance. Should the hoses have clips to secure them at all?

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members