petrol to tdi

bainsey1985

hi guys my 1st thread here hopefully not my last. i have a clio 182 at the moment but only manage 32mpg at best. im now thinking of getting and ibiza fr tdi or cupra tdi. what i was wondering is how 0-60 and 1/4 mile times would be on them cars with say a replacement panel filter, exhaust and a decent remap. also wht torque and bhp figures could i expect. come on guys turn me into an oil burner lol. thanks in advance

C12HLL

Jan 2, 2008
Glasgow
Alright mate,

I've just moved to an oil burning Cupra from a civic type r.I had a 182 before as well. Unsure as to what 1/4 times would be as i havent had mine on a strip yet. Torque compared to both civic and clio is unreal. I get 300 miles from a tank but still trying to get used to not having as many revs.

I'd say go for it and make sure you hold on when boost kicks in.

Ad Lav

vRS...
Nov 10, 2006
Kent
The Ibiza TDI FR standard is 130 bhp and 229 lb/ft and will do a 16 sec 1/4 mile.

0-60 in 8.4 secs and do about 45-55 mpg.

Remapped it is 160 - 180 bhp and 260 - 290 lb/ft and will do a 14.5 - 15.5 sec 1/4 mile.

0-60 in 7 - 7.5 secs and do about same mpg.

Ad Lav

vRS...
Nov 10, 2006
Kent
Cupra TDI is 160 bhp and 243 lb/ft

0-60 is 7.5 secs and do about 15.5 1/4 mile

Remapped it is 190 - 205 bhp and 300 lb/ft and will do a 14 - 15 sec 1/4 mile

0-60 in 6.5 - 7 secs

Ad Lav

vRS...
Nov 10, 2006
Kent
Got 400 miles to 39 litres earlier, which is 47.5 ish mpg, Birmingham and back and country roads in one day...

C12HLL

Jan 2, 2008
Glasgow
Right i thought i was maybe missing out on something when i was reading other peoples MPG stats. Back onto topic anyways... Bainsy have you checked insurance etc, i got a shock when i found out the cupra was group 15.

bainsey1985

that sounds good to me what difference does the cupra have to the fr is it a bigger turbo? i know the golfs use a front mount intercooler on there bigger models, insurance aint gonna be a problem i hope clio is a group 16 but i got 5 years nearly 6 years no claims only paying 480 fully comp:p

C12HLL

Jan 2, 2008
Glasgow
Cupra has a front mount intercooler ,bigger brakes (Seat sport AP racing),stiffer suspension and possibly a bigger turbo. Not too sure on the technical aspects of it. Just seen it,drove it and like it..lol. slightly off topic. Who are you insured with?

bainsey1985

im withe privalige good discounts because they only let 4years ncb and above in. out of curiousity are ther more mods than remap/ breathing mods that add good power at low prices new world to me this turbo game lol ! really want the 130pd because its a bit cheaper but like the sound of the cupra

C12HLL

Jan 2, 2008
Glasgow
Id say try and find a cupra just because it'll feel a shedload faster than your clio if i remember mine.lol. Plus you get bragging rights because of the brakes etc. I'm sure you can fit bigger turbos etc but as with everything its all down to Money.

bainsey1985

this is off topic amd maybe a silly question but why cant a atmosperic dump valve the wooooshhh 1's lol be fitted to a tdi ?

APNess

Feb 1, 2005
I get 440 miles or so before reserve city driving stop start. Just done 120 miles ish tonight after filling tank up on motorway, kept it to 80-90 on quiet motorway, stuck to limits on rural roads, average was 49.something or other mpg. Tank range says 500 left.

Cheaper insurance, *almost* equal performance (your petrol cars will do the diesels after 125mph, but with the remap turned on mine has stayed with/slightly caught an R32 up to 125, then he cleared off whilst I just started chucking black smoke out. High revs=no good for diesels) and fuel consumption that will make a mockery of your petrol, plus lower road tax.

Downers are low rent interior (on the Leon at least) and an appetite for the clutch when its cold, and tyres, lots and lots of front tyres.

My car is simply that - just a car, A-B or at least I thought it was. However tonight I bought a 312mm brake upgrade bundle, enquired about an uprated clutch, and I'm getting that weird giddy feeling about actually liking the thing. Also fitted the Phatbox (MP3 playing hard drive) after it'd been sat for 3 years in a box untouched.

Despite the downers, I'd say there are far more positives, it's a car where you can have your cake and eat it (like most performance diesels are these days). Make the jump, you'll be glad you did. I am, and it's taken me 3 years to admit it.

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
I get 440 miles or so before reserve city driving stop start. Just done 120 miles ish tonight after filling tank up on motorway, kept it to 80-90 on quiet motorway, stuck to limits on rural roads, average was 49.something or other mpg. Tank range says 500 left.

Cheaper insurance, *almost* equal performance (your petrol cars will do the diesels after 125mph, but with the remap turned on mine has stayed with/slightly caught an R32 up to 125, then he cleared off whilst I just started chucking black smoke out. High revs=no good for diesels) and fuel consumption that will make a mockery of your petrol, plus lower road tax.

Downers are low rent interior (on the Leon at least) and an appetite for the clutch when its cold, and tyres, lots and lots of front tyres.

My car is simply that - just a car, A-B or at least I thought it was. However tonight I bought a 312mm brake upgrade bundle, enquired about an uprated clutch, and I'm getting that weird giddy feeling about actually liking the thing. Also fitted the Phatbox (MP3 playing hard drive) after it'd been sat for 3 years in a box untouched.

Despite the downers, I'd say there are far more positives, it's a car where you can have your cake and eat it (like most performance diesels are these days). Make the jump, you'll be glad you did. I am, and it's taken me 3 years to admit it.
Low rent interior? Really don't think so imo, I been in all the latest comparative models and the interiors are getting worse.

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
this is off topic amd maybe a silly question but why cant a atmosperic dump valve the wooooshhh 1's lol be fitted to a tdi ?
Nay :)

For dervs there is no point. You want a nice discharge when you change gear either get a CAI or remove the exhaust backbox.

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
bainsey1985 wrote

A dump valve is there on a turbocharged petrol engine to keep the turbo spinning when the throttle is closed suddenly, putting a lot of back pressure on air intake and the turbo. It would have nothing to do on a diesel engine. Diesels have no throttle butterfly, the engine swallows a full charge of air at every stroke.

Dec 31, 2007
Reading
is that the same reason you wouldnt get the jerk by suddenly releasing the throttle whilst in 1st/2nd, as you would in a petrol? My leon will glide up the revs and then when I release the throttle glide down again, rather than dropping off instantly

bainsey1985

will adding a fmic to a 130 pd ibiza and then doing a remap add a lot more bhp/torque then just a remap if so how much, trying to way up if im better getting a cheaper sport/fr or blow my budget on the cupra