petrol v's diesel debate..

symsleon

im after good points & bad points regarding the two varieties, im a diesel fan but with all the probs with modern diesels i seem to be favouring the petrol 1.8t or the cupra r. so what info can you give me on either model as im stuck between the two, fire away as im after al the info possible, thanks lee

L17KKE

Tha Stig
Jun 9, 2009
get a petrol it wazzaz alova the diesel n diesels smell and sound like tractors on steroids

mjt

Jul 12, 2008
if you do less than 20k miles pa, get the petrol.

the higher price of diesel and the relatively higher initial outlay only makes sense if you do high mileage.
even though you will get lower mpg with a petrol, it will be cheaper to run on a lower annual mileage

Last edited:

L17KKE

Tha Stig
Jun 9, 2009
yeh good point the prices are pratically the same now so yeh only see a real difference if you do a lot of miles so depends really there both good cars it just depends on what you prefer the more powerfull petrol or the more fuel economic but still pritty bitey diesel

Mar 29, 2007
Berkshire
With a simple remap you can see around 270PS from the LCR against 180PS from the TDI.

The 1.8T will do up to 26-30mpg depending how you drive. I'm not 100% sure of the mpg of the TDI - but let's assume it's 45mpg.

If you did 10k a year you'd save around £120-£170 per year in fuel with the dirty derv (with fuel costing £1.05). With a little bit extra to pay towards tax, insurance and parts each year it'll probably cost you about £300-350/year more for an LCR.

Mar 3, 2008
sunny Devon
if you love turbo's (ie petrols) the lc or lcr will sort u out nicely....

if you want the looks (ie cupra tdi,fr tdi (cupra R kit) tdi) then go for the oil burner...
cheaper to insure ..
torque eeee in the low revs.....

But the LCR is the topdog,at the end of the day... its your choice,as long as you buy a SEAT im sure you will be happy

symsleon

some interesting points made so far, il probably go for the petrol version as i dont want the worry of egr trouble, the insurance isnt a prob as im 35 & been driving since i was 17, i know of a few probs so far with the leons, i.e pollen filter or door seal leakage, im not after modding my car as such but a re-map sounds ok. what sort of power increase can i expect from the 1.8t & how reliable is it coz reliability is high up on the list, keep the info coming folks coz im new to this seat scene, i was a bmw man before but i found them over rated to be honest. thanks again, lee

FRdan

Hi you cant go wrong with a high power tdi,was a massive japanese petrol fan before i got my fr tdi (150ps).I no they dont sound the same as a petrol or have the big rev range but,they look the same from the outside apart from a little bit of black smoke when you put your foot down,but you get the same smoke with a high power turbo petrol.

The initial pull is enough to amaze anybody who likes bhp.There great to drive around on todays roads with the amount of traffic but have the same thrill to 70mph as a petrol turbo.And to be hoanest they arnt the loudest things on the road because they dont rev high (4500k redlin),i think 'tractors on steriods'is a bit harsh.
The main differences is 50 mpg around the doors.And £125 tax a year.

Hope you make the right choice

Mar 3, 2008
sunny Devon
some interesting points made so far, il probably go for the petrol version as i dont want the worry of egr trouble, the insurance isnt a prob as im 35 & been driving since i was 17, i know of a few probs so far with the leons, i.e pollen filter or door seal leakage, im not after modding my car as such but a re-map sounds ok. what sort of power increase can i expect from the 1.8t & how reliable is it coz reliability is high up on the list, keep the info coming folks coz im new to this seat scene, i was a bmw man before but i found them over rated to be honest. thanks again, lee

bmw ... over rated got that right...:) my bro spent 32k on a 3 series m sport. looks good thats a bout it...... rip of for what you get.
any way on a ligter note..
with a remap you should see at least 30bhp increase, with prices starting form around £300 upwards,it will sure put a smile on your face...
find a well looked after lcr and u should be fine, there bullet proof.. if well looked after..
if you get anyprobs with a lcr,us lot will help you sort it out chap if we can.(think i speak for 90%of scn if im allowed..lol:shrug:

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
The-Old-Chestnut-Tree.jpg

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
just another old chestnut :p just a joke

as said nearly every time when discussion been covered about pro's and con's etc it pretty much boils down to mileage for costs wise 20k + go diesel for better cost effectiveness

once you have an idea of mileage calculation then it's personal preference really

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise