Petrol vs Truck fuel FR?

Copra68

Jun 10, 2013
The 184 is a fast car. Unless your doing proper mileage I wouldn't buy a diesel, you'll pay more out getting it fixed because it never warms up ie the DPF.

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
You UK guys are lucky you don't have our Road User charges. A prepaid tax of $45 per 1000 km's. Our diesel is a lot cheaper than petrol, but this tax nearly makes it the same. And 10,000 km's is a hefty chunk of change for a lot of people. Then there's higher servicing costs on diesels in general here.
The next trip to Europe will probably see us rent a petrol Peugeot on Eurolease, the lower rental should make up for higher fuel costs, or go close.
Unless I can wrangle a loaner out of SEAT.

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
Not that very lucky, we pay tax on the car, the fuel and an annual road tax on top. The fuel tax more than doubles the price of diesel to £1.30 per litre as they are 'encouraging' people to move away from that fuel.

Diesels also face extra charges, £13 per day, or a complete bans in some cities in the UK.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
I think the real killer has been the advances in petrol engines. I remember when 30mpg was good for a petrol and now you've got engines that are within spitting distance of diesel mpg. Diesel fuel economy has improved too but not by as much I don't think.

That's right, 2.0TDIs and 1.0/1.4 EcoTSIs get almost the same mpg like for like. My Leon 2.0Tdi and Ibiza 1.0 EcoTsi both did near idental average long term mpgs.

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
Not that very lucky, we pay tax on the car, the fuel and an annual road tax on top. The fuel tax more than doubles the price of diesel to £1.30 per litre as they are 'encouraging' people to move away from that fuel.

Diesels also face extra charges, £13 per day, or a complete bans in some cities in the UK.
Yeah, we get extra taxes too. No congestion charges, yet. The Greens will fix that though. Your diesel is much dearer than ours at the pump.
We also have another nice little fuel company rort. because they don't advertise the price of 95 and 98, you'll often find those prices jacked right up to subsidise the cost of 91. I've stopped using the BP app after getting bitten by that trick.

HighFlyingBird

2016 Leon FR 1.4 150 in Chilli Red 2019 - 2020
Jan 15, 2019
Leeds
I've put a holding deposit on a 2016 1.4 EcoTSi FR Tech 5dr. White with grey mirrors and 17 Dynamic alloys, which I really don't like so I'm hoping I'll be able to find someone who wants a swap for the older alloys.

Yeah, most front-draggers feel nose heavy but not always. The Golf didn't, even with a 2.0 TDi in there. I was very surprised by how well it turned in and it was very adjustable mid corner. I recon that was maybe a benefit of the better rear suspension?

I've had the 14 Leon SE, 16 Ibiza FR and the 13 Golf GT and none of them settle at speed. They are well enough behaved but they don't inspire confidence. You have you learn their behavior then just trust them. The Primera GT I had years ago was brilliant in that respect. Once you hit 40mph it was as if a switch had been flicked and everything just locked into place. It was as if the car had been designed on a track with going fast the priority.

So I'll go and see the car on Saturday but it looks good. One owner, full history and I bought the Ibiza from this dealer and they were really good.
Which style alloys are the 17" dynamic ones? I have the 17s on my 2016 FR and I love them, very simple design that stands out and they're easy to clean when washing the car because there's no tiny gaps in the spokes

Dr.Dash

Aug 30, 2015
Midlands
17" Dynamic. Love mine too, easy cleaning, the design still looks fresh compared to some of the multispoke offerings imo. More importantly, they are the right size for the non-independent rear suspension cars. More compliance resulting in better handling and stability.
Sdyn17.jpg

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I've not seen these before, they look nice!

They seem to be quite rare-ish and only on 16-plate cars. Most hot Golfs come with wheels that are along these lines, s they're obviously popular, but I've never liked diamond cut wheels.

I know they're the most common style but I like these ones:
907700-KLGDfgk3eEa2GSgb1IcuA.jpg

Reactions: Hag

Sword

Apr 22, 2019
Winchester
I've not seen these before, they look nice!

I believe they are exclusive to the fr titanium technology trim.

I have these but the previous owner has absolutely destroyed 2 of them, repairing them is on my long list of things to do :thumbup:

They look really nice but they look smaller than 18's in real life compared to some other alloys for some reason .

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015

Seems like it but the car I'm looking at is not a Titanium. It seems similar but does not have the skirts and tail spoiler. I think they were throwing toys at the cars made at that time because the facelift was coming out. These wheels will be more expensive but I don't care, I don't like them.

Reactions: Sword

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK

At one point yes, however I remember back when I had my 63plate Leon, and looking at FRs there were 2x 18" offerings, the one with the white car, which might have been a £350 upgrade over the 17" and the Diamond cut 'Titanium' ones, but those were like £750 upgrade.

Rooster

Oct 27, 2018
Yorkshire
My Leon ST has those wheels as part of the Titanium Pack, after suffering the dreaded white worm on the front faces, and crusty corrosion on the inners, i had them stripped and powder coated in a nice grey/anthracite colour.

Attachments

• IMG_2093.jpg
    IMG_2093.jpg
    802.4 KB · Views: 105

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
They seem to be quite rare-ish and only on 16-plate cars. Most hot Golfs come with wheels that are along these lines, s they're obviously popular, but I've never liked diamond cut wheels.

I know they're the most common style but I like these ones:
907700-KLGDfgk3eEa2GSgb1IcuA.jpg
The original ones you posted 18" are the titanium alloys much nicer than those ones and rarer.

those 18's date the car as they are now the old spec wheels, they have been replaced with the 18" performance alloys which come on the new FR Sports and black editions, much nicer

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
However back in the day, no petrols could do anywhere near 60mpg that wasn't a hybrid,

Indeed. Amazing what they can do with the right incentives.

those 18's date the car as they are now the old spec wheels...

I know but I don't care. I like them. I'm not trying to follow fashion, it's about what I personally find aesthetically pleasing. To me, diamond cut wheels are just too flashy, blingy if you like. I hate bling! i like nice, simple wheels with an attractive shape without too much clutter. I think the original 17'' FR wheels are a great design.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Indeed. Amazing what they can do with the right incentives.

I know but I don't care. I like them. I'm not trying to follow fashion, it's about what I personally find aesthetically pleasing. To me, diamond cut wheels are just too flashy, blingy if you like. I hate bling! i like nice, simple wheels with an attractive shape without too much clutter. I think the original 17'' FR wheels are a great design.
I would agree the original 17” alloys are far superior to the new style 17” fr ones which are frankly god awful

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I would agree the original 17” alloys are far superior to the new style 17” fr ones which are frankly god awful

They have to change something, even when there is nothing wrong with the design in the first place. The 2017 facelift of the Leon, I mean why bother? And the new model. Apart from getting rid of the single bonnet crease, is it really any better looking?

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.