Petrol vs Truck fuel FR?

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
They have to change something, even when there is nothing wrong with the design in the first place. The 2017 facelift of the Leon, I mean why bother? And the new model. Apart from getting rid of the single bonnet crease, is it really any better looking?
The facelift is better looking than the pre facelift and the front and rear led lights are nice and the infotainment system

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
The facelift is better looking than the pre facelift..

I don't agree. None of the metalwork was changed so most of car looks exactly the same. All you're really talking about is bumpers and wheels.

Some of the wheels on the lower range cars are better but most of the wheels are either simply different or worse. The 17'' FR wheels are much worse.

The back bumper change is so slight it's not worth talking about. On the front they've added a peculiar crease along the top of the centre section and 'eyebrows' on the FR. From any distance the crease looks like a seam between two parts and is stylistically pointless. The eyebrows might have been ok but they pulled the corner forward and up making the front of the car look droopy, something Seat seem to like. I strongly suspect the designer was told he was not getting any new metal and was struggling to find ways of making the bumpers look substantially different without making them worse.

The infotainment system has been updated regularly throughout the car's life so it not big news on a facelift. The changes are so slight that I stick by my assertion that I don't know why they bothered. Well I do, we all do, but it's a bit of an insult to the intelligence. They clearly wanted to spend as little as possible while tricking buyers into thinking they were getting something.

Don't get me wrong. I think run-out cars are great because all of the bugs have usually been ironed out and they throw toys at the cars but I see both pre and post seventeen cars in the work car park every day and most people are not even going to notice the difference.

The Mk3 Leon is the first car Seat have made that I like the styling of. Well apart from the Arosa but that was just a VW with a Seat badge. They got the Mk3 styling spot on but it remains to be seen whether or not they understand why. My worry is that they don't and feck it up again.

Reactions: HighFlyingBird

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
^ bloody hell don’t hold back

i’ll stick with my facelift looking nicer statement.

the leon mk1 was a nice looking car. I had a mk1 FR, the mk1 cupra r’s are a nice looking car and probably a future classic.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Bloody hell don’t hold back..

Don't take it personally ;0) Just my honest opinion.

Just put a deposit down on that 1.4 FR, drove it this morning. Didn't feel as fast as I thought it would, a bit disappointed there actually, but a great overall package. You can feel the difference between the independent and girder rear end but it's not a deal breaker. The beam has more on an on-off nature were the independence set up is more fluid and composed but still a fine handling car. You can hussle it along nicely.

So a set of diamond cut 18'' wheels will be up for sale or swap. Had a good look at them and they are immaculate. Just need to find some standard 18''s now...

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Don't take it personally ;0) Just my honest opinion.

Just put a deposit down on that 1.4 FR, drove it this morning. Didn't feel as fast as I thought it would, a bit disappointed there actually, but a great overall package. You can feel the difference between the independent and girder rear end but it's not a deal breaker. The beam has more on an on-off nature were the independence set up is more fluid and composed but still a fine handling car. You can hussle it along nicely.

So a set of diamond cut 18'' wheels will be up for sale or swap. Had a good look at them and they are immaculate. Just need to find some standard 18''s now...
Should in theory get some money your way as they are worth considerably more than the non titanium alloys

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Should in theory get some money your way as they are worth considerably more than the non titanium alloys

I know. They were a £750 option but I don't care. I'll straight swap someone for the standard 18s. Might paint a standard set tech grey so they match the mirrors.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
I prefered the 'front' looks of the pre-face lift (with LED headlights). I dislike it with passion if it was the halogen variants. However I prefer the 'rear' of the facelift, with the black diffuser thing, with the proper LED indicators. Rear bumper wise, however I only ever liked the 'sports styling kit' accessory bumper. Should have put that bumper standard on Cupra's and FR Sport. With the cupras with larger diameter exhausts.

Reactions: HighFlyingBird

HighFlyingBird

2016 Leon FR 1.4 150 in Chilli Red 2019 - 2020
Jan 15, 2019
Leeds
I prefered the 'front' looks of the pre-face lift (with LED headlights). I dislike it with passion if it was the halogen variants. However I prefer the 'rear' of the facelift, with the black diffuser thing, with the proper LED indicators. Rear bumper wise, however I only ever liked the 'sports styling kit' accessory bumper. Should have put that bumper standard on Cupra's and FR Sport. With the cupras with larger diameter exhausts.
The halogen lamps do look a bit grim, the car looks as if it was designed to always have the LED lamps in. Agree with the rear sport bumper being standard, I've only seen it person once though but I think if I had it I'd miss the black plastic on the reg plate surround, just makes the back stand out a bit more imo

LeonFRTDi

MrGadget
Jan 29, 2005
Northsostishire
well at 28000 miles on a May14 from new Car ive no complaints & yes its the 184TDI
No DPF issues so far & i do a lot of short journeys
The Thing i do is if i pull up & tickover is higher its doing a regen of somesort, let it finish & let it shut engine cooling fans off before stopping the engine seems to do the trick.
Pulls very well & aint short of go thats for sure.
2nd best Car ive ever had after the Mk1 FR with the 150 1.9TDi ARL engine for 10years from new
I'll poss have this one even longer we wait n see esp at £20 roadtax

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
No DPF issues so far & i do a lot of short journeys.

Our 1.6 TDi has done 70K and most of that is short trips. It's more or less my wife's car and she works in the local schools so is driving around town all day. No issues with the DPF, yet. We don't let the car run if it's trying to do a regen, we just drive the car as you normally would.

I'm sure the DPF will eventually fail but I think the issues are probably overstated. My bet is that the people suffering blocked DPFs have been using shite engine oil or have done other things they shouldn't have done.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.