Pic of painted red/silver calipers on leon

stevie steve

Nov 27, 2006
Clevedon
Hoping to paint my calipers. But cant decide which colour to go for.

To aid me in my quest. Does anyone have a pic of there plat silver leon with either silver or red painted calipers.

THe wheels are the standard cupra ones that are spilt in 2, but essentially 5 spokes

Matt Cupra R

Jan 13, 2006
Berkshire
IMGP1598.jpg

Only these aren't painted later, they are factory fit.

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
I'd vote red. And a tip for you... use Hammerite paint. Damn cheap to buy, you only need a small tin and you can paint it directly over rust, although I'd recommend removing any surface rust first for the best finish. Did this on my last car and it lasted thousands of miles and still looked good (when clean...) and worked out much cheaper than 'calliper paint' that you can buy.

Jun 14, 2005
Northants.
Not the right colour, car or even behind a wheel! but thought it might be useful.

Dismantled everything off the car and wirebrushed, sanded, cleaned, rust treated and painted with two thin coats of Silver Hammerite (following the instructions on the tin) which keeps the texture of the metal underneath!

5 months later and still look fresh!

I went for silver as It looks factory/standard - Reds OK if you've got huge brakes and want to shout about them!

P1000092.jpg

Last edited:

bentaw

Revo'd LCR
Oct 1, 2004
Hampshire
so if i was to do this how long would it take and what is the procedure for doing it as the laquer has come off mine

Nov 27, 2006
www.cardomain.com
I went for silver as It looks factory/standard - Reds OK if you've got huge brakes and want to shout about them!

Especially on a silver car - silver's gotta be the way to go

Unless you opt for some LCR vented rears and paint the front's red to match

Audi calipers have a thick silver coating ... think they might be powder coated actually (anyone confirm ??) so could get some TT rears and paint the front's silver anyway to match :p

I've got silver (unpainted) Brembos upfront, Bill's blue anodised brakes and vRS green rear calipers :whistle:

Dodson

Extreme Blue
Feb 9, 2005
Redcar
Im gonna do mine gloss black.

My wheels are gloss black and i like it been all black, think mine would look daft with big red calipers.

stevie steve

Nov 27, 2006
Clevedon
Not the right colour, car or even behind a wheel! but thought it might be useful.

Dismantled everything off the car and wirebrushed, sanded, cleaned, rust treated and painted with two thin coats of Silver Hammerite (following the instructions on the tin) which keeps the texture of the metal underneath!

5 months later and still look fresh!

P1000092.jpg

Awww I like Silver, think thats gonna me my choice.

Matches the car better and looks a little less showy etc. You got a good finish there C11PRA DC

I'm not very mechanical and will probably just about manage to get the wheels off. Do you have to take off much is it just paint carefully.

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
Just paint carefully.
Take the wheels off first.
Get yourself a wire brush and some reasonably coarse sand paper and start by giving the callipers a really good going over with the wire brush to remove any rust.
Then give it a going over with the sand paper to smooth things off, remove any other bits of rust and generally tidy things up.
Now get a damp rag and wipe over the callipers to remove any dust and let them dry.

Now paint them carefully making sure you don't get cover anything that needs to be removed as it could bond (glue almost) the bits in place.

Let them dry and then give them another coat if you think it's necessary. A couple of coats should be all you need really.

Let it dry and that's it, job done :)

stevie steve

Nov 27, 2006
Clevedon
Cheers Rob

When it finally warms up, or gets a little up above zero, I'll getout on the drive with a paint brush a tin of hamerite.

With all this talk of hammerite. I can hear a song in my head.......

...opens google........links to youtube

wicked

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFeL4OGcwRI

any old iron, any old iron, any old iron, any any any
rusty railings red

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
I'm not going to click that... as I know full well that tune will be in my head for the rest of the week! :lol:

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.