Picked up my Bocanegra today pics included start of page 2

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
just the fr and cupra have that, the boc doesnt its quite a long word to fit into tht little gap. Im a bit pissed off with the lack of red calipers, im pickin mine up on the 2nd of november and was hoping on red calipers, guess a can of spray will do the job

Ive found out to get the Red calipers ie Seat Sport ones made my AP Racing , you have to add the Sports Brakes option which is like 1k+

Reason being its the price of the brake upgrade + Another alloy wheel , the standard 15inch spare steel wheel wont fit over the brakes

mardon

Feel the DIFFerence
Sep 22, 2008
A bean bag
Apparently no more power can be added because of the torqu limit on the gearbox.

Wrong..

Software limit not hardware.

I've got seat sport Ap's coming on mine and will be using red hammerite on the rear. Need to speak to Seat and ask them where I stand on them installing 40mm springs and my warranty.

Ive found out to get the Red calipers ie Seat Sport ones made my AP Racing , you have to add the Sports Brakes option which is like 1k+

Reason being its the price of the brake upgrade + Another alloy wheel , the standard 15inch spare steel wheel wont fit over the brakes

If thats true thats pretty sweet. So you get red rear calipers and an extra alloy as well as the seatsport breaks?? I'll ring up today and find out.

Last edited:

AndrewJB

Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Wrong..

Software limit not hardware.

I've got seat sport Ap's coming on mine and will be using red hammerite on the rear. Need to speak to Seat and ask them where I stand on them installing 40mm springs and my warranty.

You stand in the same place we all do , Seat will not warrant the Springs , Each part is warranted individually , so they will just not cover the springs

nightflight

May 18, 2009
Sheffield
You stand in the same place we all do , Seat will not warrant the Springs , Each part is warranted individually , so they will just not cover the springs

Or the dampers as they will argue that changing the springs to ones that the dampers aren't intended to be working with could cause undue damage/wear to the dampers and thus invalidate the warranty on those too.

AndrewJB

Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Or the dampers as they will argue that changing the springs to ones that the dampers aren't intended to be working with could cause undue damage/wear to the dampers and thus invalidate the warranty on those too.

Yep anything associated with the Uprated/Modified part that goes wrong they will blame that part

Basically modify away but it summit goes wrong ie dampers then dont expect them to replace under warranty , unless u put original springs back on then take it back :funk:

mardon

Feel the DIFFerence
Sep 22, 2008
A bean bag
Springs and dampers aren't a huge cost so i'll take that risk.

The gearbox runs a dual dry clutch system and is built to take 250ft/lbs of torque, increasing this will cause the clutches to slip - as with any remap.

Agreed it is a dry clutch. It has the torque limit on it because the gear box is a sealed unit and it not intended to have the clutches changed for the life of the box or for the box to even to opened. The torque limit is there to ensure that the manufacturers stated life is met. NOT because the clutches will slip. If you have information to the contrary feel free to post it.

The box also has a safety feature where the drive will be made aware if the clutch plates are being abused or overheating, continual abuse will shut down the engine when the car next comes to a stop to let the gearbox cool off.

An increase of 10-20Nm is not going to make a huge difference to the life of the box and certainly won’t concern the first owner of the car.

I have done a mountain of reading on the subject. APR America have had a 7 speed box in and tested all the various tolerances to find out the box’s limits. A stage 1 map isn’t going to case catastrophic long term damage.

The 7 Speed DSG 1.4/TSI combo in the Scirocco can be mapped from 200 to 220bhp. Not sure of the torque figures off the top of my head.

Also with regards to your comment on with clutch slip on remaps I agree with you 100% if the torque level is too high the clutches will slip. Why would the torque rating be bang on the torque limit?? Thats crazy! After a few years when the clutch plates are worn the 250Nm limit would be too high for the worn clutch plates.

As an example the PD160 produces 243lb/ft of torque standard but the clutch starts to slip at 300lb/ft. That’s 57lb/ft difference before there are problems. I doubt the Nm increase on the Cupra remap will be anywhere near this figure.

Last edited:

stu38

Mar 8, 2007
Essex
hey mardon i also ordered the big brake upgrade on my boc the calipers are red also on the rear [B)] Went for my first test drive saturday in the boc and was well impressed thought it drove superb and the noise:-o

mardon

Feel the DIFFerence
Sep 22, 2008
A bean bag
Sweet. Did they confirm that when you ordered or have you seen your actual car?

Check in the boot to see if its a full size spare?

stu38

Mar 8, 2007
Essex
My car is due next week and funny enough i did check that when i was their its a full size steel wheel so least that something:D

mardon

Feel the DIFFerence
Sep 22, 2008
A bean bag
Yeah I checked the one in liverpool and it was a steel alloy.

Just spoke to another dealership (dont want to keep ringing mine, i'll drive them crazy) and they said if the spare wont fit off the 4-pot he'd think they'd put in a full size alloy.

stu38

Mar 8, 2007
Essex
yea be a result matey, also booked mine in for stone chip film protection when i pick the car up well worth having as got this on my leon saved it no end:D

mardon

Feel the DIFFerence
Sep 22, 2008
A bean bag
Will Seat do this for you? I was gonna get this done else where. How much were you quoted? Gonna get my roof done in black at the same time.

EdHorny

Loves his Boc.
Oct 12, 2008
Burntwood
Interesting posts gents. My twin tailpipes in the trapezoid are completely black now, I've done 400 miles. The rear looks smart now they've darkened. The trapezoid looks like a black hole now. I went for a drive yesterday, the trip reacons on a full tank it will do 320 miles max, I've done 110 on this tank of 99 ron Optimax and only used quarter of a tank. So we shall see. I gave the car a quick burst of acceleration in sports mode and it overtook a line of traffic superbly. I'm loving this car, the controls are geared towards the driver which makes it a joy to drive.

The grip is mind boggling too.

ED

mardon

Feel the DIFFerence
Sep 22, 2008
A bean bag
Sweet! All good news then!! I'm very interested in the MPG as I do a lot of miles. Once the initial buzz has worn off and you can do a careful tank i'll be very happy if it can do 420miles.

Here you go ed a profile pic if you want it (right click save as, then upload it via UserCP)

Last edited:

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
Springs and dampers aren't a huge cost so i'll take that risk.

Agreed it is a dry clutch. It has the torque limit on it because the gear box is a sealed unit and it not intended to have the clutches changed for the life of the box or for the box to even to opened. The torque limit is there to ensure that the manufacturers stated life is met. NOT because the clutches will slip. If you have information to the contrary feel free to post it.

The box also has a safety feature where the drive will be made aware if the clutch plates are being abused or overheating, continual abuse will shut down the engine when the car next comes to a stop to let the gearbox cool off.

An increase of 10-20Nm is not going to make a huge difference to the life of the box and certainly won’t concern the first owner of the car.

I have done a mountain of reading on the subject. APR America have had a 7 speed box in and tested all the various tolerances to find out the box’s limits. A stage 1 map isn’t going to case catastrophic long term damage.

The 7 Speed DSG 1.4/TSI combo in the Scirocco can be mapped from 200 to 220bhp. Not sure of the torque figures off the top of my head.

Also with regards to your comment on with clutch slip on remaps I agree with you 100% if the torque level is too high the clutches will slip. Why would the torque rating be bang on the torque limit?? Thats crazy! After a few years when the clutch plates are warn the 250Nm limit would be too high for the warn clutch plates.
As an example the PD160 produces 243lb/ft of torque standard but the clutch starts to slip at 300lb/ft. That’s 57lb/ft!! Difference before there are problems. I doubt the Nm increase on the Cupra remap will be anywhere near this figure.

My hat comes off to you mate, you've definatly done your homework. I concur completely and i'm sure someone (like AMD,REVO etc) will find a way around this little snag :)

mardon

Feel the DIFFerence
Sep 22, 2008
A bean bag
My hat comes off to you mate, you've definatly done your homework. I concur completely and i'm sure someone (like AMD,REVO etc) will find a way around this little snag :)

Certainly have mate. Its an interesting subject. The torque rating went up from 240Nm on the Scirocco to 250Nm on the Cupra. Its the exact same box, it’s just the software limit.

I've spoken to Revo and APR(Awesome) and they can both get past the software torque limit..
The other good thing both companies offer is switchable maps and unaltered Flash Counter (if the dealer see's the ECU has been flashed multiple times they may cotton on).

If both give you the option to set the car back to standard if you know you’re going to be stuck in stop start traffic or other clutch intensive scenarios just switch back to standard. Save the faster map for weekends :)

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.