Pinging noise when full lock

Apr 8, 2021
Ello!

I picked up a 2018 Leon SC Cupra 300 literally two days ago from a dealership with 20k miles on it, been having some fun with it the last couple of days and I love the thing.

However I was turning the car round earlier to park on my drive, full locked to the left and heard a pinging noise, someone across the road heard it and described it as hitting a spoon off a saucepan or a really bad cowbell. I don't know how to describe it what sounds like to me, maybe like a spoke on a bicycle pinging? It seems to be coming from the front right suspension area - not majorly concerned since I have two years warranty but I was just wondering if anyone has any experience on what it might be?

I've seen people said CV joints or bushings but the reports I've read seem as if they're like a constant noise, this sounds like it's almost catching on something?

Anyone had any experience with a similar issue? I'm going to ring up the dealership tomorrow and will look to getting it sorted, would just rather be armed with some information first.

Cheers :)

Apr 8, 2021
I just had a quick look (without jacking up the car mind) and they look fine. Just took it for another quick drive and I can't seem to get it to happen now, really weird...

mgrays

Dec 9, 2006
Aberdeen
I had this on my Cupra Ibiza. It was the top strut bearings that had seized at 30k miles. Not sure if Leon has them them but it would do it only when turning while parking as the spring had to twist then and would "ping" as it jumped on the siezed top strut bearing. Once replaced I greased them up well and they are still good 130k miles and 13 years later.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.