Platinum Grey Leon FR TDI Hybrid - The End!

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
The next step - update #3

AmD have come back to me and stated that there BTCC engine guy can get the head blueprinted, polished etc...We are looking into options for the exhaust valves.

My american contact said he does have exhaust valves suitable for my application so will explore this possibility further. He also said he can provide me with cam and rods if I so choose. As I stated previously not sure whether doing the rods is worthwhile for me as I plan to keep same turbo.

For you techies out there: I gather with larger sourced exhaust valves all that is then require is to port out the ports bigger to match? Also I gather once the head is off and new head, cam etc is going in swapping the rods at same time is no big deal???

slick

Bit of an animal
Mar 15, 2005
Essex
The next step - update #3

AmD have come back to me and stated that there BTCC engine guy can get the head blueprinted, polished etc...We are looking into options for the exhaust valves.

My american contact said he does have exhaust valves suitable for my application so will explore this possibility further. He also said he can provide me with cam and rods if I so choose. As I stated previously not sure whether doing the rods is worthwhile for me as I plan to keep same turbo.

For you techies out there: I gather with larger sourced exhaust valves all that is then require is to port out the ports bigger to match? Also I gather once the head is off and new head, cam etc is going in swapping the rods at same time is no big deal???

Save up for a new turbo Maz, I feel after reading that link posted above, my suspicions are correct, the ECU will ask for too much boost from the turbo even at half throttle. Also talk of keeping the swirl and just refining it and only radiusing the entry ramp for the chamber should be enough. As we spoke before, the swirl is there to help the burn, less burn means more smoke, more swirl means less airflow/power. So if you can make the swirl work faster and smoother with a larger amount of air, you will keep the clean burn and raise the power. So porting to larger volume space, larger exhaust valves and keeping the ramp and smoothing/enlarging the head swirls should do it. Along with cam changes it should collectively raise the figures without too much smoke, which is what most cars do trying to hit big figures.

brad1

Once the head is off swapping the rods shouldn't be a big deal mate. But if your doing all this work I'd look at a bigger turbo :)

Husbandofstinky

Out from the Wilderness
Nov 8, 2007
Temperate Regions
All I can say is that you've got balls of steel Maz and have massive respect for you for going this far to date.

Will of course continue to follow the story and hope that you don't get too much heartache with the progress in the mean time.

:)

p888uld

Jun 18, 2010
NW
great thread mate! and even better car!! probly never happen but would love to see this car in the flesh one day

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex

Thanks for this.

Save up for a new turbo Maz, I feel after reading that link posted above, my suspicions are correct, the ECU will ask for too much boost from the turbo even at half throttle. Also talk of keeping the swirl and just refining it and only radiusing the entry ramp for the chamber should be enough. As we spoke before, the swirl is there to help the burn, less burn means more smoke, more swirl means less airflow/power. So if you can make the swirl work faster and smoother with a larger amount of air, you will keep the clean burn and raise the power. So porting to larger volume space, larger exhaust valves and keeping the ramp and smoothing/enlarging the head swirls should do it. Along with cam changes it should collectively raise the figures without too much smoke, which is what most cars do trying to hit big figures.

As we discussed last night Slick - porting has been done all over states and europe. I think finding a balance between whats streetable and a race application is key. Doesnt look like bigger exhaust vavles may be the answer but until I get more info I will hold fire on pressing forward.

Looks like the cam is on schedule.

Once the head is off swapping the rods shouldn't be a big deal mate. But if your doing all this work I'd look at a bigger turbo :)

Require a lot of work to change and my goal isnt to attain a massive figure. I am starting this project so one keep up with new wave of cars and create a more all round tdi that is both streetable and trackable when need requires.

I also believe the ARL rods are the strongest of the TDI engines and seeing aRd and Bobby hit impressive figures on stock ARL rods is encouraging. Lets see how things pan out :)

All I can say is that you've got balls of steel Maz and have massive respect for you for going this far to date.

Will of course continue to follow the story and hope that you don't get too much heartache with the progress in the mean time.

:)
Thanks Lee. I am not rushing it - trying to soak up as much information as possible. I think it will take until Mid summer for everything to be completed but the wait will be worth it. No idea what power she will get but a "genuine" 250-260bhp would be more than enough for a very quick deisel that handles.

Lets hope there isnt too many tears!

great thread mate! and even better car!! probly never happen but would love to see this car in the flesh one day
Thank you!

Rods are bolted up from the bottom, this will require the sump to be removed to gain access.

yip, part of the short block
Cheers for info chaps :)

Husbandofstinky

Out from the Wilderness
Nov 8, 2007
Temperate Regions
Lets hope there isnt too many tears!

That's what I'm really worried about after all that you've been through. Don't forget you were going to throw the towel on the whole thing a few months ago.

I just hope that this is not going to throw petrol on a fire that's still simmering in the background.

GL :)

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
The next step - update #4

I have been advised by the engineer doing the porting that he isnt comfortable and doesnt recommend making the exhaust valves and seats bigger. This is why...

imgp1174ng8.jpg

As you can see there is mm space available within going dangerously close the the injector hole. Having look at the head Bobby has done on his PD300 golf his cut it very fine! I am not sure I want to compromise or should I say potentially compromise reliability like ths.

Aug 19, 2007
East Yorkshire
Thats exactly the reason im sticking with standard valve sizes. Could quite easily burn through such a narrow wall. Not wirth the risk for minimal gain in my opinion.

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
The next step - update #5

So the ported cylinder head is due back this week sometime. That will stay at AmD until I gather all the remaining parts and my research is finished.

Currently waiting for progression with sourcing the new Cam. Hopefully its this month it comes! I have contacted another vendor in the states who is keen to provide me with a tried and tested Dual Plenum Intake manifold. As its going to take up quite a bit more room than the standard intake may need to look into modifying the Turbo Intake Pipe and the existing pipework. I am very keen not to lose the Wingnut EGR valve as the ASV makes the car shut down nicely.

Still giving thought about whether I need to change injectors. I suppose this is something I can do after all the bits go on the car...

Kryptix

Feb 2, 2009
Thanks for taking me out in it yesterday as well as all the advice. I'm very much in love with your car. :D

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.