polish on plastic, how to clean???

BASH29

Nov 4, 2009
East Midlands
recently had the car polished, there is some polish on the front splitter which looks aweful.

anybody have a clue how i can get rid of this polish permenantly, once removed i can gel them, but waste of time untill the polish is gone

anybody know, i know its a basic question, but dont want to be taken for a ride by the local auto shop, for buying expensive products i only need once.

regards

bash

godber225r

T15 PJG
Sep 6, 2008
Whiteley, Hampshire
I have used a scrubbing brush and washing up liquid before and its worked well. i always now use auto glym bumper care and it clears it off very easily on all the textured black plastic areas. You can get it for a few quid from halfords/ebay

mikeholroyd

Warm it up with a hairdryer, it evaporates enough to wipe off. Works a treat.

Mike

Aug 7, 2009
Manchester U.K
Why use substances that can potentially damage the finish? A jet wash will move polish on windows/trim just like when a cars been buffed, even when its dry, once most of its off if its marked it use some trim restorer or back to black. Never heard such stupid answers, petrol is fuel/ peanut butter is food and windolene is for windows. Back to black/trim restorer was made for this purpose. Some polishes/rubber/plastic stain some dont the jetwash removes it 99% of times but there is a chance it will stain which is where a bit of back to black works.

BASH29

Nov 4, 2009
East Midlands
i tell you what peanut butter works a treat if your broke. i used it on all the plastic, it even managed to remove all the grime fron the window seals.

cheers lads

mikeholroyd

i tell you what peanut butter works a treat if your broke. i used it on all the plastic, it even managed to remove all the grime fron the window seals.

cheers lads

:DOK, let's set the record straight on peanut butter. I can't even stand the smell of the stuff, but I bought a jar of it on Friday afternoon, and have used it on all the black trim on the Leon today. And the black trim really is black now. I'm gobsmacked! It truly does work, and doesn't cost the earth. So there's a jar of it staying in the garage in my cleaning cupboard -- it certainly won't end up in my kitchen, that's for sure.

Thank you for the suggestion, at first I thought you were taking the p***, but no, I'm endorsing this 110%!

As far as a plain jetwash is concerned, be very careful with this, as it can not only remove paint, especially if the panel has been resprayed, but can get into little gaps in the foam adhesive, and potentially be trapped there, and I don't like the idea of permanently wet areas on any paint, particularly important in Leon doors that can leak like sieves anyway! Also, with bulkhead leaks common on the Leon as well, keep a jet wash well away from the scuttle panel in front of the windscreen.
And products like Back to Black are silicon based, and the very last things you want on your screen, so no way would I use these on window seals and scuttle panels. Quickest way to leave your screen dangerously streaky in wet weather and at night, and will destroy wiper blades very quickly.

Thanks again

Mike

Last edited by a moderator: