Pollen filter water leak ?

Neilr134

Apr 25, 2003
Visit site
Had car serviced last saturday.

go out today and front passenger footwell has standing water.

Had a look around, and you can see the water droplets soming down the vertical plastic door frame. As tne plastic curls round it gets to horizontal at about the speaker, then goes into the footwell.

Does this sound like the pollen filter rather than door seals?

Had a leak in Nov, but it took 2 days of solid rain to leak, didnt think it rained very much last night. The previous leak could again be seen by water droplets on carpet by speaker, but dont think it was running down the vertical bit before.

Info would be helpful, as going into dealers wednesday

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
Usually if the pollen filter is leaking you dont see the water as it leaks down the back of the heater box and under the carpet so id say its the door thats leaking.

Taurean

Is it usual for the pollen filter to be wet!!

If not I think I am getting water through mine. So that I can trace if this is the reason I have so much water in my front footwell from the recent weather, can someone please tell me where exactly I should look to see if that is where it has come from instead of the doors as they have had the modifications done and the speakers I have sealed.

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
The pollen filter itself shouldnt be wet. There should be a water guide fitted in front of it to directs the water that comes in through the slats in the scuttle trim down the drain holes.

Taurean

Thanks for answering so quickly. :cheers:

Oh dear

I had a look at it at the weekend, in between downpours.

It was leant over as though it had been placed on correctly but when you push the rubber cover attached to the scuttel panel it has folded it over flat on the filter.

Does this mean that water has gone through my filter. If so where should I look for it coming out????

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
The water will sok through the filter into the heater box.

It will seep under the carpet under the glovebox.

Take the glovebox out and you should see it.

Taurean

Cheers

Will have a look at the weekend (weather permitting - bummer without a garage to hide in)

By the way what do you think of your Skoda?, I have seen mixed reviews.

Also (off at a tangent slightly) what do you rate of the suspension you have had done, was the benefit worth the expense and trouble.

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
The Skoda is an ace little weapon, suprises a fair few people.

And the suspension was well worth it. However I got the parts at cost and fitted them myself after work, but would recomened them.

Neilr134

Apr 25, 2003
Visit site
Garage have decided my leak which started this thread was pollen filter.

They have put some sealent somewhere or something. hopefully all sorted.

Nick Cupra R

Mar 18, 2003
Cambridge
Originally posted by Neilr134
Garage have decided my leak which started this thread was pollen filter.

They have put some sealent somewhere or something. hopefully all sorted.

I had a similar thing. The water went to my rear passenger foot well though and it was pretty deep! :eek:

They had my car in for 3 days to remove the mats / carpet and dry them out while they put sealent around the pollen filter. It hasn't happened again since.

Neilr134

Apr 25, 2003
Visit site
Oh Dear,

No its not fixed. we have just had drizzle since pollen filter sealed, and i can see the water dribbling down the vertical bit of plastic which bends to become the sill.

This never happened before the service and before the fix.

Luckily as the volume of rain is so little, although i can see it, it is not wetting the floor.

garage want me to keep it over the weekend before i book it in, without using aircon as they wonder if it is a blocked pipe.

only problem being,if it is a rain water problem, and it then lashes down, i am going to be in deep water. - literally.

Are their drain holes from bonnet down the front wing?, as i think they were a bit over excited when they greased the hinges at the service, when this problem really showed itself.

SJFISHER67

Are you talkin' to me?
The pollen filter leaks under the plastic housing, i had this in my old Leon, and when you remove the pollen filter you need to remove the tray its sat in as the seal under this which lets water through after time, as this is a similar foam that used to be on the door seals.

I replaced mine with silicone and never had a problem after that!

04jam

thanks guy for helping me sort out my leak

just want to say a big thanks for helping me sort out my leon cupra r leak in the passanger footwell looks to be the pollen filter. cheers

oet

hi guys, i have a vrs with this problem and its the seal under the pollen filter housing, i have just siliconed mine and its had an immediate effect ie no water at all in the deadening (carpet is already out) the pollen filter should have a guide as stated above which deflects water from the scuttle lip (where the plastic scuttle tray sits at the back) dripping onto it, mine didnt have one, now it does (£3 at skoda). I do still havea tiny bit of water inside the heater matrix/fan housing under the matrix itself) though i think thats condensation from the air con unit....any ideas?
thanks

Vag_Dave

!! Diesel Power !!
Jan 15, 2007
South Wales
OET - Is it fairly easy to remove the tray that the pollen filter is sat in?

I removed the cover, checked the filter was fitted correctly and refitted on Tuesday but yesterday it seemed to come back. going to try the silcone the underneath of the housing 1st and if that doesn't work do the door removal. I'm totally confused to were the water is coming from? Ahhhhhhh!

04jam

im in th same situation mate, checked the pollen filter seemed to be ok. so checked the doors both front doors had been leaking .
its not a hard job took me about half an hour ish once you 've removed the door panel its quite obvious if there is a leak . ive re sealed the plate with silicon so hope its now water tight.
good look hope you get it sorted.
where is your carpet wet ? front or rear footwell?

oet

yes its easy to take out, on the octavia its a plastic nut on the outside right of the pollen filter (as you look at it from the front of the car) and inside the housing itself on the lefthand side under where the filter would normally sit. I have trawled the octavia cupra and golf sites and this looks like a fairly common problem. Use loads of silicone to replace the seal, funnily enough i bought a new vag seal which fits on the inside of where i have siliconed and i just cant see how that is meant to be enough, its clearly not as my car has been leaking loads!!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members