possible best mod eveeeer

LeonCR

Oct 22, 2009
it wont open on its own after being left for any length of time

Yes we had the poppers from vw and 550 nm struts

Jarre

Dec 9, 2011
Stockton-On-Tees
I didn't have that issue with mine. My struts were from SGS Engineering though so slightly different. Only other thing would be that my poppers were out further than yours giving it that extra push.

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
That would be mildly annoying, the only thing I didn't really like is that when it reaches the top if feels like it's ripping the boot off the car lol

LeonCR

Oct 22, 2009
had the popper set it various positions so prob related to your struts then

TimSawf

Jun 26, 2011
South Manchester
That would be mildly annoying, the only thing I didn't really like is that when it reaches the top if feels like it's ripping the boot off the car lol

About 12 months after fitting the stronger struts, my car developed a rattle at the back. It was tracked down to the struts. The mounts were fine, we could only think that the sharp jolt when it opened fully had, over time, damaged the pistons. With the standard struts on, it comes to a very gentle stop when opening.

Daniel M

Blackbelts & Chickenheads
Apr 18, 2013
Middlesbrough
About 12 months after fitting the stronger struts, my car developed a rattle at the back. It was tracked down to the struts. The mounts were fine, we could only think that the sharp jolt when it opened fully had, over time, damaged the pistons. With the standard struts on, it comes to a very gentle stop when opening.

Is yours a pre FL or FL? I didnt think the standard struts were strong enough to open the tailgate?

TimSawf

Jun 26, 2011
South Manchester
Is yours a pre FL or FL? I didnt think the standard struts were strong enough to open the tailgate?

Mine's a FL and it won't open the tailgate now with the standard struts. Like most, it didn't work all the time anyway. It still has the Scirocco bumpers on so it clears the lock when popped, still better than when it left the factory.

t121anf

May 14, 2004
Fitted my VW Bumpers/Poppers/Buffers and it worked great in the garage, but hasn't work again since.

I'll try to adjust the bumper but I think it's a failed mod at the moment. :-(

I'm happy with the new stronger struts though as last winter my SEAT ones struggled in the cold weather to open the boot properly, banged my head a couple of times.

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
That's a shame :( I will wait for my poppers to arrive and see what happens lol but like you I'm happy with the new struts as mine stopped half way hot or cold weather lol

Jarre

Dec 9, 2011
Stockton-On-Tees
Fitted my VW Bumpers/Poppers/Buffers and it worked great in the garage, but hasn't work again since.

I'll try to adjust the bumper but I think it's a failed mod at the moment. :-(

I'm happy with the new stronger struts though as last winter my SEAT ones struggled in the cold weather to open the boot properly, banged my head a couple of times.

Have you adjusted the length of the stoppers? And also ensured that the spring is active? As you can 'twist' it just so they're standard stoppers.

t121anf

May 14, 2004
Spring is working, I followed the youtube vid for a golf which said to push them in fully, I'll adjust them out a little.

It pops open further than it used to, just not enough, it's odd as it was fine last night in the garage. On the drive I thought it might be the angle (nose down, more weight to push up) but the works car park is quite level.

lc_allan

Northern Monkey
Sep 15, 2006
Mine are like most but I've only had them fitted while the weather is cooler. I suspect the heat may help the struts work a little better on the first opening. If I leave it overnight or a few hours the boot only pops open a little. Enough to get fingers under which saves me touching the badge any way. (Wrapped)
Any subsequent openings work ok until it's left for a good few hours.

Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.